Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 16:34   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honda is answering your prayers. Redline beyond 6,000 rpm. 140BHP + 340 NM of torque
But the engine redlines at 4500 on the tacho of this Honda. I guess thats where the cut off is coz even the OHC VTEC has a 8000rpm tacho but it cuts off where the redline starts (7100).

Shan2nu
Old 12th January 2010, 16:19   #107
BHPian

Why Diesel cars are more expensive to buy?

I have been planning to buy a new car for myself and this question struck that why diesel cars are more expensive to buy compare to their petrol siblings?
1 - Is is to negate the advantage of being more fuel efficient and the fact that diesel is available cheaper than petrol?
2 - Is it that making a diesel heart (Engine) costs more?
3 - The manufacturers are just charging a premium for the economic benifit that diesel cars bring in to end users in India?

I tried to search the forum but couldn't find any relevent topic so created this new thread. If the topic already exists, please merge or delete this.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:24   #108
Senior - BHPian

fantastic thread. even i had the same doubts. hope now it will be cleared and I can teach my friends also.Glued to this thread.I feel it is due to the different compression ratio and diesel requires higher compression so the engine has to be stronger/bulkier

Last edited by shishir_bn : 12th January 2010 at 16:40.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

Its 2.
From my very basic knowledge of diesel vs petrol engines, fuel ignition in diesel engines takes place due to compression, hence the engine block needs to be stronger and is eventually heavier.
Turbo also adds to the cost.

Experts can give more details...
Old 12th January 2010, 16:37   #110
BHPian

The engine, among other parts, needs to be made a lot stronger due to the much higher compression ratios. The injectors for diesel engines are also substantially more expensive (Not so much now with GDI having come into the picture). These are the primary reasons for diesels costing more.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:40   #111
Senior - BHPian

With my limited knowledge...

A diesel engine basically needs more cubic capacity to give power when compared to a petrol. Say a 1000 C.C. petrol will be more useable than a 1000 C.C Diesel. Simply because the c.c to bhp ratio is quite high for diesels. A good 70-90 BHP may need atleast 1300 CC for a diesel whereas a 1000CC petrol is more than good enough for 70 BHP.

But Modern diesels have various technologies like CRDI, Turbo, VGT (a type of turbo i guess) to actually improve the power delivery from the same c.c
A 2000 C.C direct injection diesel will be nothing short of a sloth when compared to a 2000c.c crdi or even a intercooler turbo.

Whether you use modern technologies (which again will cost a lot) or use dated diesel technology (cc. is high, so making charge for internal components high - also no government concessions like that of small car - which is esenatially 1200 cc and below), either ways the price will end up on a higher side.

I am not an expert in this field, hence Engine Guru's can give expert opinion on the same
Old 12th January 2010, 16:50   #112
BHPian

Most of the diesel engine variants of the same car are of bigger capacities than the petrol ones.
Common Rail Direct Injection (CRDI), uses more expensive components than a similar petrol engine.
Most diesel engine powered cars come with a turbo-charger. That adds to the cost as well.

Also, since the diesel engines are of high capacity, the Govt. of India charges mroe duty/tax for the same.

Car manufacturers do take advantage of the fact that diesel is cheaper and give better fuel efficiency.

Then there is this theory:

Car Manufacturers + Governments don't want too many diesel cars running on roads, cause of the emissions. They make the cars expensive hoping customers wont buy it.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:52   #113
Senior - BHPian

@Mi10, thanks for the gyan.
OT::::But couldn't get what the signature meant withso many numbers.
Old 12th January 2010, 16:53   #114
BHPian

The main reason why diesel cars are more expensive that petrol cars:
Diesel engines are equipped with the Fuel Injection (FI) system, where the injectors needs accurate sized nozzles passages, so injectors are expensive due to which diesel cars becomes expensive.
The compression ratio in diesel engines is higher, due to which the engine & engine parts need to be more stronger.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:04   #115
BHPian

Guys, has any one searched for such a thread on the forum. I seemed to have come across exactly this type of discussion before also or may be it was on some other forum.
There are many reasons why diesel cars are expensive, however the chief amongst them are the complicated technology (injectors et al) that goes into making them, coupled with the turbo charger (that kick does not come cheap guys!) & also the fact that they need a lot more damping material to reduce NVH levels. Diesel engines are also much heavier & thus need stronger chasis.
Old 12th January 2010, 17:04   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Then there is this theory:

Car Manufacturers + Governments don't want too many diesel cars running on roads, cause of the emissions. They make the cars expensive hoping customers wont buy it.
Actually, modern diesel engines are more environment friendly than petrol engines, because of lesser carbon emissions.

hehe... and government worrying about emissions? that itself blows a hole in the theory
Old 12th January 2010, 17:17   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
...also no government concessions like that of small car - which is esenatially 1200 cc and below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Also, since the diesel engines are of high capacity, the Govt. of India charges mroe duty/tax for the same.
For Diesels, the tax concession is up to 1500cc (and 1200 cc for Petrol).
Old 13th January 2010, 12:25   #118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

While a diesel engine may cost more to produce than a petrol, the difference is certainly NOT as much as the eventual onroad price difference is. It's just the manufacturers charging you an extra premium, thanks to our love for diesels and the fact that the fuel is priced so cheap.
Old 17th January 2010, 10:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
In that case i would always opt for a super smooth petrol engine.
BUSA Please think beyond TORQUE also...
Prajesh, can't believe you said that man!! (I know- 2007, before the rocket... jus pulling ya legs! )

For those who are looking at low runs but yet want to go for Diesels just for the fun factor, let me rain in your party-

The Diesel engine, being heavier and more sturdy, takes a tad longer than a gas engine to reach its ambient operating temperature. How long, I do not know. But I would say run it at least 10 KM in a single go- if your usual run is lower than that, then you are hurting the torque monster's ego
Old 27th March 2010, 23:57   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
The Diesel engine, being heavier and more sturdy, takes a tad longer than a gas engine to reach its ambient operating temperature. How long, I do not know. But I would say run it at least 10 KM in a single go- if your usual run is lower than that, then you are hurting the torque monster's ego
Are you serious? Please explain in detail.
What about people living in small cities?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks