Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2017, 23:14   #31
eko
BHPian

Re: Alternator problem in M800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
+1.

For the very same reason I have been using electrical grease in the connectors and couplers, and haven't faced such issues lately
I mentioned about oxidation inside wires. Not in terminals, connectors or couplers. You cannot apply grease inside wires.
The oxidation inside wires is due to low quality of wires used. I have been using Vaseline for couplers, earthing, fuse boxes, bulbs and terminals, since last 30 years. The performance is very satisfactory.
Old 21st May 2017, 20:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
thanks sir

I can confirm that the battery light faints at higher RPM's.
This is a sign of poor connection between alternator and battery. This faint glow will increase if you rev the engine.

I take it that it is in addition to the intermittent bright glow? In that case the intermittent problem/ failure should be your primary concern.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 17:47   #33
BHPian

I got the problem fixed a while back, but couldn't update.

The bearing of the alternator had gone. you could clearly feel the difference when compared with a new one. the mechanic told us it would cost around the same if we had to repair the alternator and it could also fail in the near future again. we took his word for it and decided to replace the alternator. got a new DENSO alternator (bad move ?).

All is good(for now ).
Night_Fury is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 18:55   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
I got the problem fixed a while back, but couldn't update.

The bearing of the alternator had gone. you could clearly feel the difference when compared with a new one. the mechanic told us it would cost around the same if we had to repair the alternator and it could also fail in the near future again. we took his word for it and decided to replace the alternator. got a new DENSO alternator (bad move ?).

All is good(for now ).
Kindly post pictures of the Denso Alternator once you are free. I have seen many Lucas-TVS in the aftermarket but never a Denso.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 21:26   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^^
In the early days of Maruti's indigenisation, if you were touring in a Maruti van, it was best to carry two items as spares. One was the alternator. The preferred choice was a Denso. Though right now i'd wonder if one can get a Denso at MGP prices.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 22:31   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
In the early days of Maruti's indigenisation, if you were touring in a Maruti van, it was best to carry two items as spares. One was the alternator. The preferred choice was a Denso. Though right now i'd wonder if one can get a Denso at MGP prices.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks for the insight.

My 2000 vintage 5S 800 still has the Denso alternator(with its Japanese parts). It has survived pretty well for these 17 years/3 lac kms without any issue or overhaul.

It is still available in MGP but costs 11.2k(for the 5S 800). In aftermarket though, Denso branded alternators for similar specifications are available for 5-6k. The difference being the components-MGP one still uses many imported components, while the cheaper one is fully locally made.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 22:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

^^^
Alternators are normally supposed to outlast the vehicles. Except here in India!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks