Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2021, 12:47   #106

Re: Chevrolet Spark 1.0 throttle body and idle problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothm95 View Post
Hello everyone!
======
Does anyone know if the part being blocked off will create bad idle? A mechanic told me they usually block it off when a car shows up with poor or fluctuating idle. Is that a problem with the charcoal canister? Do you think it'll be fixed if I just replace the throttle body?

Thanks in advance!
*sigh*
I had the throttle body swapped with a new unit at an ASC and unfortunately, the problem hasn't gone away. It was working well the first 3-4 days and now it's back to all of it's old problems. No cold start, no idle...
Also, I was expecting more help tbh
I guess this isn't a thread people frequently look into.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th July 2021 at 12:49. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for short reply. Thanks.
Old 15th April 2022, 21:32   #107
BHPian

Re: Throttle body cleaning & maintenance

This morning I tried a DIY throttle body cleaning on my Alto 800. I removed the whole assembly and cleaned it with petrol. After re-fitting everything back, now I am facing a high RPM idling issue. The idle rpm is around 2000. I tried disconnecting battery terminals and other things. But it seems the throttle control valve needs re-calibration. Can this issue be resolved without visiting service station?
Old 16th April 2022, 11:28   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
now I am facing a high RPM idling issue. The idle rpm is around 2000.
So what you need to do is open the throttle body again and go to IAC valve which is at the bottom of the throttle body, Mostly the petrol has removed all the lubricant from the tiny bearing of IAC valve making it stuck in open position causing the high rpm. You need to free this IAC valve with a drop or two of machine oil.It has a feel of spring based action when rotated keep that in mind.

I hope you have also replaced the gaskets or an air leak will also cause high rpm.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 20:49   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
go to IAC valve which is at the bottom of the throttle body..
Thanks for the reply. But, my Alto has an electronic throttle body (drive-by-wire), so there's no IAC valve. However, the issue has been resolved. I bought a cheap OBD II scanner, and erased (reset) the TPS learning data. Now car is idling at around 700 rpm.
Udit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 23:29   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
Thanks for the reply. But, my Alto has an electronic throttle body (drive-by-wire), so there's no IAC valve. However, the issue has been resolved. I bought a cheap OBD II scanner, and erased (reset) the TPS learning data. Now car is idling at around 700 rpm.
Sorry to bump this old thread. Which app did you use to clear the TPS learning data?
Old 30th May 2023, 13:12   #111

My Baleno G16B is also stuck with slighty high RPMs. Sitting at 1100revs rather than ~850 revs. This is not cold start.

Is there a way to relearn the fresh Throttle Body without a OBD tool operation?
Old 31st May 2023, 12:06   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphin_rj View Post
My Baleno G16B is also stuck with slighty high RPMs. Sitting at 1100revs rather than ~850 revs. This is not cold start.

Is there a way to relearn the fresh Throttle Body without a OBD tool operation?

To update, the issue on car resolved, but I don't know how.

After TB installation I took it for a spin of 3 kms the Idle was sitting high.

I tried the Ignition on, wait 20 seconds and ignition off - repeated this thrice. Idle was still sitting high.

Drove the car for another 3kms - idle still sitting high.

Came back to the car after ten minutes, switched the ignition on, pushed the throttle fully, switched the ignition off! Voila! The idle set to the initial ~850rpms.

Didn't have to use the OBD tools.
Old 31st May 2023, 12:55   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphin_rj View Post
Came back to the car after ten minutes, switched the ignition on, pushed the throttle fully, switched the ignition off! Voila! The idle set to the initial 850rpms.
That's what ECU is supposed to do after you clean the throttle body. The idle is going to be high at first until the ECU re-learns the idle again (Considering no other damages have been done). Cleaning the throttle body allowed more air to enter the engine, and the computer is just compensating by adding more fuel to run the system richer.

NomadSK
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 21:25   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
That's what ECU is supposed to do after you clean the throttle body. The idle is going to be high at first until the ECU re-learns the idle again (Considering no other damages have been done). Cleaning the throttle body allowed more air to enter the engine, and the computer is just compensating by adding more fuel to run the system richer.

NomadSK

Yes I do understand that the ECU trimmed to the actual flow after cleanup.

But, I felt the compensation was too sudden and too accurate rather than slowly achieving the actual air flow / rpms.

As in, it should’ve slowly dialed the revs down to actuals but it happened specifically happened after the relearn procedure(not even sure if it applied to maruti) I saw online which made it jump to ~850revs.

So did the ECU do this by itself or was the relearn I did cause it, still lingers on my mind.
Old 6th September 2023, 12:04   #115
BHPian

I had been facing RPM fluctuation issues in my Grand i10 for a while and the last service did not fix the problem. I decided to fix it myself. This was the first time I tried something like this and I was a bit nervous. Will let the pictures do the talking.

Throttle body cleaning & maintenance-first.jpg

Throttle body cleaning & maintenance-opened.jpg

Throttle body cleaning & maintenance-dirty.jpg

Throttle body cleaning & maintenance-dirty2.jpg

Throttle body cleaning & maintenance-cleaned.jpg

Learnings:
  1. It's a two person job - I was alone and had to take help from the person who washes my car. He was kind enough to lend a hand and I asked him to rev the engine while I sprayed into the throttle body.
  2. I made a small mistake while taking the intake pipe off. Some dust fell into the valve area, as you can see in the pictures. I should have cleaned the pipe properly. If not cleaned, some dust will inevitably fall in.
  3. I don't know if this is a problem, but the butterfly valve does not open as much as I thought it would on revving. The pedal had to be pressed completely for it to open. It gets loud!
  4. I couldn't open the valve with my fingers as seen in some videos. Did not try to push too much though.
  5. The 500ml can of Throttle cleaner can last for 2-3 cleanings.

The fluctuation issue is resolved now and the needle is rock steady! My first successful DIY!
elroydsilva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks