Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2008, 10:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for reply dkamath, Some more question,

did you also changed the radiator to 120Watt? If Yes, Was it in the cost you mentioned?
In on stretch how long have you driven with AC on?
Any Highway Long Drive experience with AC on?
Did you faced any overheating problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Yes, there's a drop in power with the AC ON, but it doesn't matter, as one can hardly hold on to the accelerator for a long time in city driving

Yes, i got it fitted from a Maruti Suzuki dealer(Mandovi Motors Pvt. Ltd.), here in Bangalore.

There is the auto cut-off too. The distinct "click" can be heard occasionally.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

@DriverR, Indica's alternator has got its own share of problems besides the extra load you applied on it.
I have indica DLS with OEM AC, still cools well at 94000KM.

But still thats raises a question if M800 1999 model has alternator capable or charging with AC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Problems:
Alternator! My car's original alternator was not capable of handing the A/C power requirement, so it used to drain the battery. Got stranded a few times before the problem was identified. After fitting a higher capacity alternator, this problem was resolved..... after me spending and additional 10K! This fitment was done by the Tata Service Center. (Please note that I did also install all 4 door power windows, from the Tata showroom, a few weeks before fitting the A/c, so I guess the cumulative power drain was too much!)
Old 5th March 2008, 10:31   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
What brand/type ACs should be fitted, how much will the mileage drop ? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
go for sanden double condenser. cooling will be excellent. there will be drop in mileage but not much . "kuch paane k liye kuch khona toh padta hi hai". get the ac fitted there will be no problems.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to keep the car for long time. In my opinion this is the best car for local drive in heavy traffic roads. Also if you would have seen my signature, its just done 7000KM in last 9 years(thats another story).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suvi View Post
I would recommend you to upgrade to Alto/Santro unless you plan to keep your car for atleast 2-3 years.
wow double condenser , that sounds scary than sweet. I am anyway worried about the engine pressure by single condenser AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry2223 View Post
go for sanden double condenser. cooling will be excellent. there will be drop in mileage but not much . "kuch paane k liye kuch khona toh padta hi hai". get the ac fitted there will be no problems.
BTW saurabhb2000, I am very sorry as I almost hijacked your thread, but I think the problem statement is same
Old 5th March 2008, 12:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Thanks for reply dkamath, Some more question,
did you also changed the radiator to 120Watt?
Did you faced any overheating problem?
My pleasure, rkbharat. No modifications were made to the existing parts. The existing radiator itself does the job.
The longest i've driven it with AC is along the Bangalore - Mysore highway.
The car is just normal, with no overheating being sighted till date (the radiator fan's always there, anyways ).
Old 5th March 2008, 12:47   #21
BANNED

there are no problems with double condenser.i have seen personally many maruti 800 with double condenser it just increase the cooling. you can feel the difference between single and double condenser ac. one is fitted in front and another at rear.
Old 5th March 2008, 18:59   #22
BHPian

Thank you all for the inputs. I am curious to know if I need to upgrade radiator as well in any way ?

Is it good to go with the AC from local market? How much of difference in price can it be if done from outside Maruti authorised ? What brand if at all I go with a local shop ?
Old 6th March 2008, 08:40   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Is it good to go with the AC from local market? How much of difference in price can it be if done from outside Maruti authorised ? What brand if at all I go with a local shop ?
go for sanden . it will cost you around 15k with fitting and all.
Old 1st April 2008, 19:40   #24
BHPian

Finally I decided to go for single condensor Sanden make. I got it fitted yesterday and is cooling pretty good. I have to switch it off at times when it gets too cold. No change in radiator fan. Temp meter needle is at the same middle position as before.
Old 1st April 2008, 20:45   #25
BANNED

whats the mileage drop . any noticable change in performance .
Old 2nd April 2008, 08:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

Good news, please provide some details about the setup.
1. What all is fitted?
2. Where is condenser installed, near fuel tank?
3. does it required any wiring changes
4. finally what is the total cost?
5. how much is drop in pickup?

Oh just realized you are from delhi, where did you got it installed from?

Quote:
Finally I decided to go for single condensor Sanden make. I got it fitted yesterday and is cooling pretty good. I have to switch it off at times when it gets too cold. No change in radiator fan. Temp meter needle is at the same middle position as before.

Last edited by rkbharat : 2nd April 2008 at 08:43.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:15   #27

Fitting an Air Con in a 1997 Maruti 800

Hi guys,

I am new to team bhp. I see that many of you are well informed about modifying cars. I have Maruti 800 1997 model. I am planning to fit A/C in my car.

I would like to know how correct my decision is. Is it really worth fitting ac A/C?.I would also like to know if A/C has any significant effect on the power.

Thanks in advance
Old 7th May 2008, 12:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikhil please read this thread from first page.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Our M-800 carb version, 2000 make also has an AC retrofitted in it for the last two years. Its working fine. The AC was retrofitted from an authorised dealer, and is an OEM unit.

There is loss in pickup. Its not possible to climb flyovers below 45 kmph in 4th gear. In general, the throttle input has to be more.

Cooling is excellent in morning and evenings, but gets affected in the afternoon sun. In the afternoon summer sun, the cabin temperature drops 3-4 degrees below outside temperature in about 15 minutes, with blower at mid position. never tried with blower at full blast because it makes too much noise and the stereo cannot be heard properly.

No overheating problems. The temperature needle stays perfectly at the center of the guage.

Mileage is 17 kpl in city driving with AC on for 55-60 % of the time. On highway its around 20 kpl.

Hope this helps
Old 7th May 2008, 12:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
In the afternoon summer sun, the cabin temperature drops 3-4 degrees below outside temperature in about 15 minutes, with blower at mid position.
Thats not very inspiring, specially when temperature in Delhi is already touching 42 and worst is yet to come.

BTW I asked one Maruti Center in Gurgaon for the same and he quoated 14000 for the job. Which also includes higher watt (120) radiator motor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks