Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 11:42   #1
BHPian

Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800

Dear TBhpians,

I am reposting my query.

I want to go for retrofitted AC in M800 Euro II ( 2004 make ). I am planning for Subros and installation from a Maruti Authorized dealer. I have few queries. Please help me out. Here they are :
  1. Is it recommended to go for retrofitted AC ? Will it reduce the life of engine ?
  2. Is Subros the best choice ? Price 25K approx ?
  3. Will cooling be enough for 4 people in the car ?
  4. Does Retrofitted needs special care on monthly / yearly basis ?
  5. Does a long drive of 4 hours or so reco with AC on ?
  6. What all I need to take care during my installation ?
Thanks for your inputs ..
Old 16th April 2007, 12:47   #2
BHPian

I have a Retro-fitetd AC from the dealership. As far as I am aware, It will not reduce the life of your engine, The kit used is the same

I dont remember, But the dealer gave me Two choices and advised that subros is the best amongst the lot

I have just installed the AC and left it as it is, No issues so far

You need to ensure that it is done by a profesional as in the guy who is in-charge and not the boys who are getting trained, Be there when it is done.

And you will not have the hot blower option, Only comes as a standard fitment

I have used the AC extensively while traveling between cochin and Bangalore, The cooling I felt was adequate. Could switch off the AC in intervals and still maintain the temparature inside the car.

Hope this helps
Knight Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2007, 12:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
I have a Retro-fitted AC from the dealership. As far as I am aware, It will not reduce the life of your engine, The kit used is the same

I dont remember, But the dealer gave me Two choices and advised that subros is the best amongst the lot

I have just installed the AC and left it as it is, No issues so far

You need to ensure that it is done by a professional as in the guy who is in-charge and not the boys who are getting trained, Be there when it is done.

And you will not have the hot blower option, Only comes as a standard fitment

I have used the AC extensively while traveling between cochin and Bangalore, The cooling I felt was adequate. Could switch off the AC in intervals and still maintain the temparature inside the car.

Hope this helps
Thanks KRider,

How long you have been using it now ?
Did you goto maruti Auth dealer ?
What was the total cost ( Ac + parts + labour ) ?
Old 16th April 2007, 13:41   #4
BHPian

No worries mate,

I have had it for more than a Year Now.

I got it done from Indus (Authorised Dealer in Cochin, Kerala)

I paid 27k After discounts, That was the best quote then, I did call a couple of other dealers as well and I drive an ALTO

Let me know if I can help you further..
Old 16th April 2007, 14:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

hey man i am in chandigarh to pm if you want an a/c fitted i know the best person in chandigarh
Old 19th April 2007, 08:43   #6
BHPian

Anything else that needs to be kept in mind that this article has missed.

Last edited by navdeep : 19th April 2007 at 08:51.
navdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2007, 16:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
M800 Euro II ( 2004 make )
I incorrectly mentioned 2004 make its 2002 make.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:47   #8
BHPian

fit an air con(AC) in maruti 800

I am planning to get an AC fitted in my Mauti 800 (1997 STD model). It has only run 42,000 so far. Is this a good idea? I understand the cooling will not be that much but can give some respite from heat in the delhi summer. Since the car has not run much, I do not want to sell it either.

What brand/type ACs should be fitted, how much will the mileage drop ? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:21   #9
BHPian

hi, contrary to popular opinion, i feel the AC is quite good for the power and room available inside the Maruti 800. I got the carbureted model too, and went in for the AC fitment with the dealer himself. This was about 10 months back. It took them a few hours more to locate a 'switch' for the carbureted model (i guess its for increasing the throttle with AC turned ON). Otherwise it was a neat job, and i'm happy for the cooling it provides on the crowded roads i travel by, everyday

Suggest you to check with your dealer first, and then inquire elsewhere. The price i paid then was about Rs.22,500/-. Subros make(only OEM maker for the 800 model) and R134a refrigerant.

I estimate about 10% drop in fuel efficiency in city conditions with 100% AC. That's with the carbureted model. I guess MPFI ones are slightly more frugal in AC mode.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Do you feel any drop in pickup or power. I am sure there will be some but hope its not drastic.

I too have a carburetor model and am very serious about getting AC in it. I have no issues about FE as I am getting 18-20 in city right now.

Few more questions:

Did you got it fitted at ASC?
Is there an auto cutoff with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
hi, contrary to popular opinion, i feel the AC is quite good for the power and room available inside the Maruti 800. I got the carbureted model too, and went in for the AC fitment with the dealer himself. This was about 10 months back. It took them a few hours more to locate a 'switch' for the carbureted model (i guess its for increasing the throttle with AC turned ON). Otherwise it was a neat job, and i'm happy for the cooling it provides on the crowded roads i travel by, everyday

Suggest you to check with your dealer first, and then inquire elsewhere. The price i paid then was about Rs.22,500/-. Subros make(only OEM maker for the 800 model) and R134a refrigerant.

I estimate about 10% drop in fuel efficiency in city conditions with 100% AC. That's with the carbureted model. I guess MPFI ones are slightly more frugal in AC mode.
Old 5th March 2008, 09:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhb2000 View Post
I am planning to get an AC fitted in my Mauti 800 (1997 STD model). It has only run 42,000 so far. Is this a good idea? I understand the cooling will not be that much but can give some respite from heat in the delhi summer. Since the car has not run much, I do not want to sell it either.

What brand/type ACs should be fitted, how much will the mileage drop ? Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Hi,

Before installation of the A/C, i would advice you to go for compression test of the engine, as this would give you an idea of engine health.

Amit
Old 5th March 2008, 10:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Do you feel any drop in pickup or power. I am sure there will be some but hope its not drastic.
I have a 2003 MPFI, bought it from true value, I have noticed that the AC has been retrofitted. At first I thought there would be some loss in pickup/power. There is a marginal loss in pickup definitely, but power wise, it goes into higher revs to keep the car running. But I think the AC is guzzling a lot of fuel, any idea how i can correct this problem?
Old 5th March 2008, 10:10   #13
BHPian

I got an AC fitted in my MPFI M800 from the dealer for 22500 last year. there is considerable reduction in pick-up and power. i get a mileage of 16 kpl with AC and 18 kpl without in Bangalore (where avg speed is much less than New Delhi). In fly-over ascent sometimes i need to downshift to third with AC if there are 4 adults in the car. i could achieve a top speed of only 75kph on a hot afternoon with AC in the highway (easily reaches 100kph without AC).

I would recommend you to upgrade to Alto/Santro unless you plan to keep your car for atleast 2-3 years.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Did you got it fitted at ASC?
Is there an auto cutoff with it?
Yes, there's a drop in power with the AC ON, but it doesn't matter, as one can hardly hold on to the accelerator for a long time in city driving

Yes, i got it fitted from a Maruti Suzuki dealer(Mandovi Motors Pvt. Ltd.), here in Bangalore.

There is the auto cut-off too. The distinct "click" can be heard occasionally.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:20   #15
BHPian

My experience in fitting an A/C in my Indica (petrol carb) 1999 model -

Paid about 20 K. Got it fitted from an accessories shop. They took about 4 hours. They had a cut into the dash for adding button for the on/off button. I do not remember the brand.

Post fitting:
A/c was chilling. And YES, there was a power drop when the a/c was switched on. Not too drastic, but you feel the loss of power immediately. I suggest driving any alto/800 with A/c and switch it on and off during the drive to get a feel of what the power loss would feel like (If friend's car not available, go to any used car showroom and 'test' drive these cars! )
Milage with constant A/c dropped by about 1.

Problems:
Alternator! My car's original alternator was not capable of handing the A/C power requirement, so it used to drain the battery. Got stranded a few times before the problem was identified. After fitting a higher capacity alternator, this problem was resolved..... after me spending and additional 10K! This fitment was done by the Tata Service Center. (Please note that I did also install all 4 door power windows, from the Tata showroom, a few weeks before fitting the A/c, so I guess the cumulative power drain was too much!)

Most Viewed