Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2008, 23:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yep it could happen to any car true. But it seems that it's been happening to Tata vehicles on a higher number amongst others. But they have improved a lot with the new products with the new Safari compared to those first Sumo and Indica V1 days.
Got number of safari sold and Swift sold last year?

How many Indicas have you come across with issues? Or maybe this will help, Bullets vs Pulsar?

and the Swift i told you about is owned by a TBHPian, will ask him to update.

We are going OT.

Last edited by jkdas : 13th April 2008 at 23:17.
Old 13th April 2008, 23:41   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Got number of safari sold and Swift sold last year?

How many Indicas have you come across with issues? Or maybe this will help, Bullets vs Pulsar?

and the Swift i told you about is owned by a TBHPian, will ask him to update.

We are going OT.
Swifts has been selling since 2005 and it's obviously in much higher numbers than Safari in every flavour. Thats exactly what i'm referring to, inspite of selling in larger numbers the problems have been minimal.

The first batch of Indicas had lot of problems and they rectfied them in the V2 version. And the changes were not too minor, changes were made in the car platform itself, re designed suspension arms amongst other things. Too long back to remember all of it. And the first Sumos were voracious front tyre eaters, the front tyres used to go bald (that too wear out in a very assymetrical fashion) in 10k kilometers. We had one of those first Sumos. The Sumos also had a front suspension re design and was solved in the later versions. The Sumo was sold as the Qualis came out and the Qualis is still doing it's job reliably.

More than Bullet and Pulsar it would be more appropriate to compare it with Bullet and Hero Honda/Honda. And going through the Tata problem threads the Bullet (atleast mine ) of course can be compared with the Tata.

Safari is still a nice vehicle and in that price bracket there is no other SUV that would match or better it. Only if Tata's could solve, for once and for all, these niggling quality issues with their vehicle. The design, both mechanical & cosmetic, of the vehicle is good; only the execution needs to be improved.
Old 13th April 2008, 23:42   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Iraghava; Can I insist on a job card be opened for my vehicle to record all these activities.
YES, please insist on a job card at every visit to ANY authorised workshop when going in for a major issue like this. If push comes to shove this will come in handy to show how much pain you had to endure by taking the truck to the service centre again & again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@ishan: I just mentioned the turbo maker for the safari.
I didnt mean anything else,man.
Ok Anna, my apologies. Just wanted to stress the point that people should not blame a parts supplier when they buy the whole package from a car manufacturer.
Old 14th April 2008, 08:36   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
OT:
Do you work with Garett also or is it just VGTs from KKK/TEL?
Well..that is Irrelevant!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Just wanted to stress the point that people should not blame a parts supplier when they buy the whole package from a car manufacturer.
I agree. Also, the dealer is the final POS man. He could screw up Big time, and we will all blame the manufactuer.

OT: My 02 Indica DLX, caught fire after i switched on AC on the move, it was parked in hot sun for 8 hours. The car was just out of 55K service: The reason was poor fitting of the AC fuse, which had arked and caught fire due to the ambient temperatures. Now, whom should i blame, Tatas for a bad car or the great service centre: M/s Concord Motors, Chennai for their excellent service??

Or the Fuse supplier for being party to it?
Old 14th April 2008, 12:07   #50
Senior - BHPian

After reading through more on the VNT turbocharger, I think the problem will be with one of the sensors as the Turbo works fine within 60km range.

The VNT turbocharger is connected to the ECU which controls its flow and use a boreless compressor wheel technology.
Old 14th April 2008, 15:32   #51
BHPian

TATA Engineers are learning at customers cost.
It is good way of Earning while Learning.
Old 14th April 2008, 23:15   #52
BHPian

Dude i am facing the same problem wid my safari 2.2
The service light appears as the RPM dips from 2000-1500 and then suddenly dissapears.. showed my vechicle around 10 times to malwa auto , panipat but they cant fix it .. the service engineer claimed that the Common Rail has a fault and will be replaced but now they deny this as they do not have a common rail and say it ok to run the vehicle like this with service light..
they are not ready to change the faulty common rail .. i have mailed tata regional head office but no reply from them.. think i ll file a case against them..
Old 14th April 2008, 23:48   #53
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankure View Post
i have mailed tata regional head office but no reply from them.. think i ll file a case against them..

Make a phone call and also send a mail over here, if you have not

Tata Motors Customer Support :: Complaint

Tata Motors Customer Support :: Reach Us

Last edited by adc : 14th April 2008 at 23:50.
Old 15th April 2008, 09:04   #54
BHPian

Ankure : Any sluggishness once the service light appears ??
If " the service engineer claimed that the Common Rail has a fault and will be replaced but now they deny this as they do not have a common rail and say it ok to run the vehicle like this with service light.." take it from him in writing and then approach TATA MOTORS.
I've already emailed the CUSTOMER COMPLAINT DESK and CUSTOMER HELP DESK on Saturday no reply so far. I guess the three holidays in between have delayed things.
Anyway I'll be going to the TASS today morning. Let me see how thins shape up today.
Old 15th April 2008, 11:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

I believe the symptoms reported by him are different from yours and it might be a different problem.

But keep us posted, it would be interesting to know the source of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Ankure : Any sluggishness once the service light appears ??
If " the service engineer claimed that the Common Rail has a fault and will be replaced but now they deny this as they do not have a common rail and say it ok to run the vehicle like this with service light.." take it from him in writing and then approach TATA MOTORS.
I've already emailed the CUSTOMER COMPLAINT DESK and CUSTOMER HELP DESK on Saturday no reply so far. I guess the three holidays in between have delayed things.
Anyway I'll be going to the TASS today morning. Let me see how thins shape up today.
Old 15th April 2008, 12:40   #56
Team-BHP Support

Read disclaimer first :P

Disclaimer: am not bashing Tata as a manufacturer.

My swift d also had issue, and it was damn difficult to diagnose because it was a new product at that time (Radiator fan fuse issue). So things can go wrong even with Maruti with the exp of so much numbers.

But look at Tata, they also sell a big number of cars and suv's, but somehow they still havent resolved the quality issues. Yes maybe this is linked to the aggressive pricing strategy of Tata's.

Old Maruti's were more reliable, yes numbers were less and relative cost was high and i think this is a point that i cant look away from.

Tata's on the other hand had quality related issues, rather the product had/has inconsistent quality. And its been more than a decade and still they havent learnt the lessons well. I for one DONT recommend tata product to any of my friends or family due to this one issue.

I used to know how it feels "to pray" before cranking so that the check light doesnt come in my swift d, and very happy that it has been resolved now and that worry is gone. In tata's case i cant have that mental guarantee that things will be fine, i have to keep a buffer for that inconsistent quality in my mind all the while.

Yes merc's also had this issue in India and i wouldnt accept it if i am shelving out that money. Heard things have improved quite a bit now though, esp with competition hotting up for them.

Unless there is that strong indication that quality has changed with Tata, i will not buy that brand.

ps: Have been associated with Tata cars since the 100th Sierra/Estate sold till 2005 indigo sedan, thats it after that i just stopped personally going near that manufacturer. Yes still have a very reliable (0 defect) indigo petrol (2006) which does duty for my dad. Which is the other extreme, after some 10-12 troubled Tata cars in my life. So dont start assuming that i dont know well about Tata's. Its just that i have seen better/consistent QCed product that has helped changed my point of view.

Good news is Tata's atleast accept these issues and are very good at responding. Resolutions also eventually happen. I suggest you share the error code details that you picked from internet with sensible engineers at workshop and proceed. Maybe take a print out and share, so that info is not lost while communicating and it definitely gives a more "easy on ego" feel to them.
Old 15th April 2008, 13:34   #57
Team-BHP Support

Any updates..? Its tuesday already
Old 15th April 2008, 15:58   #58
BHPian

Whoa.. the ordeal is finally over.
Today morning I reached the TASS by 10.30. I greeted the senior staff and inquired for the TATA team who had not yet come by then.
I showed the TASS engineers a printout of the error code details found on the internet. They went through the same and decided to check the entire vacuum line when the culprit was finally located as the vacuum tube that was cracked at both ends from the inside. The part no for the same is 278914115840. The tube is so located that from outside it appeared to be normal. Due to this leakage by the crack the variable turbo was not functioning. They replace this tube with the one from the demo Safari and we could immediately see the VTT valve functioning with gradual acceleration and decceleration. We immediately went for an extensive test drives reaching speeds of upto 110 km/hr with the senior engineer on the wheel. On the way back I drove the vehicle at a steady speed of 90 - 100 km/hr for a substantial distance with no SERVICE light popping up.
I thanked the engineers at the TASS for resolving this issue. It was 12.30 pm by now. I waited for the TATA team which had not yet come by then. I told the TASS not to inform TATA team on the resolution to see the efficiency of their response.
As my odometer was now reading 960 km I requested the TASS to take up for 1st service with oil change and engine flush. The TASS was trying to push some BAR DAHL new engine additive. However I was undecided on the same. By the time in my stay at the TASS over the past few visits I had learnt that the service adviser and his team get some points based on the quantum of billing they extract from every service customer. This had made me wary of their reasons for suggesting additives. I told them I would inform them later.
Haven't heard anything on engine oil additives on the forum.
By the time I had left the TASS it was 2 pm. NO NEWS FROM TATA TEAM.
No response to any of the emails either.
Just wanted to find from the reasons for such unusual crack at both ends. Doesn't seem to be damage from clamping etc as the crack is linear. photos attached.
Last but not the least thank you to everybody at TEAM BHP for your concern and support throughout the ordeal. It gave me a lot of confidence in handling the TASS and maintaining my composure.
"TEAM BHP REALLY ROCKS"
Attached Thumbnails
Turbocharger failure in new safari 2.2VTT(Edit: Solved; only a cracked rubber tubing)-culprit.jpg  

Turbocharger failure in new safari 2.2VTT(Edit: Solved; only a cracked rubber tubing)-vaccumm-tube.jpg  

Turbocharger failure in new safari 2.2VTT(Edit: Solved; only a cracked rubber tubing)-crack-end-1.jpg  

Turbocharger failure in new safari 2.2VTT(Edit: Solved; only a cracked rubber tubing)-crack-end-2.jpg  

Turbocharger failure in new safari 2.2VTT(Edit: Solved; only a cracked rubber tubing)-connects-vtt-modulator.jpg  

Old 15th April 2008, 16:12   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thats great news.

Its surprising to know that the tube got crack from inside. Thats strange. It may have caused as the tube was bent almost 90 degrees.
Old 15th April 2008, 16:15   #60
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to You Dhurv, and Kudos to tBHP, I have been watching this thread closely as I am planning to buy a TATA CS. Though the initial days looked like a screwed up GArret or a blown Fuel Injector, It turned out to be a Simple (But important) tube. Hey Dhurv, did you manage to find the RETAIL Price of that TASS part. Please post it. Let us know how much rupees part drove all of us NUTS over these weeks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks