Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 20:44   #16
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps a waterproof cover for a temporary fix (though I have heard many say its better to have covers that 'breathe')? As for the real problem, the rubber lining on the doors may have worn out as the problem is on the side of the seats. Its possible that the front doors' lining wore out quicker as the front doors are used more than the rear doors.
Old 13th June 2009, 20:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

door panel gaps are probably the culprit unless you have an after market sunroof?
or you may have left a window slightly open.
smell is due to stagnant water.
Old 13th June 2009, 20:58   #18
BHPian

yes, the same door panels i'm suspecting! No sunroof or window open things are done. What may be the solution to this?
Old 13th June 2009, 21:08   #19
BHPian

sun dry, get a room freshener like adonil and get a cover.
Old 13th June 2009, 21:14   #20
BHPian

Even I face the same problem with my Zen, I think the water gets inside through the edges of the windshield, I had replaced the windshield last year..
Old 13th June 2009, 23:20   #21
BHPian

Seems like the drainage just below the windshield is clogged.
Solution to this problem is pretty simple. Go to A.S.S. or your regular mechanic and get the cowl top cleaning done.
The plastic trim just around the wiper area will have to be removed and the debris(dust, leaves, etc) will have to be cleaned.
Old 13th June 2009, 23:25   #22
BHPian

Thanks live2drive, Will try that..
Old 13th June 2009, 23:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
HI guys,

I had kept my car Wagonr Lxi,in rain for 2 days in open air. Today morning opened and was shock to see water inside the cabin in carpet area of both sides of front seats Their was bad smell inside the cabin due to this! What may be the problem. As i park the car outside on the road, how do find the solution to this?

Thanks,
Ramki
Most common source is the clogged drains Check your rain drain channel on your car , next site is the wiper assembly,then the weather strips.the rubber seals around doors and windows.if the weather strips are the problem you will notice wind noise when you are driving inside the cabin.Any after market job not done will be a problem most common sunroof and the broken windshield not properly replaced
Old 13th June 2009, 23:42   #24
BHPian

If you had recently replaced the windscreen then the beading could be a problem..

Ps: on a different story, years ago, the carpet of my esteem used to get wet at the rear even if I had to drive through half a foot of water ! I rem the local mechanic plugging some hole ! long , long ago....
Old 6th July 2010, 11:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

URGETNT - Help needed! Water inside cabin!

So it happened to me on Saturday, when Mumbai was under water.

I was passing by King's Circle, where there was (almost) knee deep water logging. To make matters worse, BEST buses passing by were merrily pushing more water towards my humble Getz.

Upon reaching home, I realized there was a lot of water inside the (front) cabin, though lesser on driver's side. I emptied most of it & also took out the rubber mats. Next morning, the cleaner dried out most of the carpet.

However today morning (Monday) when I started the car to go to work, at the 1st speed breaker I heard moving water (as if waves!) from the underside of the co-driver. During the next 30 minutes of the drive, there was a fair bit of water that had seeped inside the cabin. All the carpets are wet.

What should I do? Is there chance of any electrical damage/short circuiting? Planning to take it to Jaya Auto in the evening, but just wanted to make sure it's nothing massively serious to worry about?
Old 7th July 2010, 10:31   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nishant,

I'm guessing the splashing sound you heard is from the doors. They are notorious for holding up water. My suggestion:

1. Which car? Remove the drain plugs (on the floor) and let the water find its way out.

2. Keep 3 - 4 hours aside, visit a petrol pump (or garage with indoor parking), strip your car (of carpets, mats etc.) and thoroughly wash / wipe / dry the interiors.
Old 7th July 2010, 12:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Update - I went to Jaya Auto yesterday.

The fellow first cleaned out the area under wipers. The drain points there were choked with a delicious mucky cocktail of twigs, leaves, mud and what have you. After thoroughly spraying it with pressurized water, he dried (or atleast tried to!) the carpetting. There is still a heavy hanging smell in the cabin, as all the water is not dried up yet.

Finally, he opened the bolt under the front doors. Water had accumulated in the running board. Now the splashing sound is gone and so has the water logging, however the smell and damp carpet remains.

Unfortunately, Jaya Auto doesnt have the heavy duty drier required to do the job. Also, I need to leave the car with them for a day to dismantle the seats, take out the carpets, dry them and refit. Since I did not have the time yesterday, I had to take the car back with the dampness.
Old 1st August 2010, 17:34   #28
kkg
BHPian

Now its my turn.

Few days back my brother noticed few water drops on the front passenger mat and the mat was getting wet indeed. Since our car is Spark, successor of erstwhile Matiz, we thought the the drainage pipe might be out of the groove ( it happened in our maitz once) but upon checking it was not the case.

Now today morning I found the same mat wet and since it was raining for the last days i thought some rubber stopper in the floor might be missing but that is not the case either.Some observation that I made :

1. Water is coming somewhere below the dash in the left hand side

2. Drainage points in the cowl under the wipers are clear.

3.I see some amount of condensation droplets on the AC drainage pipe ( with Ac on) and on the blower.

I called Autovikas ( GM service center) and they told me to take an appiontment ( which is only after 3 days). I am helpless until then, what could be the possible reason?
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:26   #29
kkg
BHPian

I opened the cowl under the wipers today morning, every thing was looking normal there. So my doubt of clogged drains under it were proved wrong. I am back to square one.

BTW, wipers seem to have lost their alignment when i refitted them and making noise on the windshield.Nothing fruitful came out of the whole process and I also managed to ruin the working of the wipers. My bad.

Any idea where the water could be coming from, ANYONE?
Old 10th July 2012, 20:36   #30
BHPian

Re: Help!Water getting inside car

My old honda city had the same issue today. Its the secondary car not and not used too often.

Wifey opened the car to go somewhere today and saw about an inch deep water on the front co - passeger foot wells. the carpets were soaked.

panic call to me and i was amazed at this. couldnt figure out what the problem is till i landed on t-bhp. I am assuming that its the clogged drain issue as the car is parked under a tree in the open with lots of falling leaves.

My question is, how do i do the complete cleaning as a DIY job?

any suggestions on quick drying the carpets. i have tried to sponge out as much water as possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks