Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 17:48   #1
BHPian

Help!Water getting inside car

Whenever it rains,water gets inside my car parked in open.There is no trace of water on dashboard,parcel tray or roof lining.This morning I noticed water on mats and asked help to dry it using mop.But to my surprise he wringed 2-3 buckets of water using mop,but still there was water inside carpets.There is no chance of water entering through floor or door sills,as there was no water logging and I didn't drove it on wet roads.
Old 12th July 2008, 18:57   #2
BANNED

Which of the cars is it? BALENO ALTURA? PALIO S10? OR SANTRO?
Old 12th July 2008, 19:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

The rubber molding around your doors is probably leaking. Or, around your trunk or hatch.

One way to find the leak is to get some smokey incense and take it inside the car. Blow smoke around all the door edges and see where the smoke comes out readily. That is probably your leak and you may have more than one. Sometimes you can find the leak simply by inspecting the molding and finding a damaged place. Try this first.

Sometimes windows can leak but the molding is the usual culprit, top bottom or sides.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 12th July 2008 at 19:17. Reason: ##
Old 12th July 2008, 21:43   #4
BHPian

Its Palio S10.Water is under all four mats.Door and window rubber lining looks ok,but I'll check them again tommorrow.It happened last year too,and service centre guys told me about rubber lids under door frames.They cleaned these and advised me to remove them.I haven't removed them, but keep them clean now.I have checked these and they have ample space to clear water.

Last edited by sans33 : 12th July 2008 at 21:45.
Old 13th July 2008, 02:11   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33 View Post
Whenever it rains,water gets inside my car parked in open.There is no trace of water on dashboard,parcel tray or roof lining.This morning I noticed water on mats and asked help to dry it using mop.But to my surprise he wringed 2-3 buckets of water using mop,but still there was water inside carpets.There is no chance of water entering through floor or door sills,as there was no water logging and I didn't drove it on wet roads.
Sans33,

Is the water is concentrated near the front flormats? Under the dash almost?

Is your car parked below a tree? Possibly one with lots of small leaves?

There is a grill on your car's bonnet, where it meets the bottom of the windshield - chances are the drain for that is clogged with these small leaves and therefore the water is seeping into the cabin.

Just clean away whatever is clogging the drain and that should solve your problem.

Let me know if this is the case.
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th July 2008 at 02:12.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2008, 03:02   #6
BHPian

I think Rehaan has got it spot on. I had a similiar issue with my getz and since then have changed my parking space.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Sans33,

Is the water is concentrated near the front flormats? Under the dash almost?
Is your car parked below a tree? Possibly one with lots of small leaves?
There is a grill on your car's bonnet, where it meets the bottom of the windshield - chances are the drain for that is clogged with these small leaves and therefore the water is seeping into the cabin.
Just clean away whatever is clogging the drain and that should solve your problem.
let me know if this is the case.

Hi Rehaan,you seems to have solved it.Yes,water is concentrated below the dash and yes,car is parked under a tree.Falling leaves have choked grill,but I thought they were just restricting flow of fresh air.I have cleaned it many times, but really don't know where is drain for it.Tommorrow is my off,so I'm going to check it myself.Thanks for help.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th July 2008 at 00:23. Reason: quote fixed.
Old 13th July 2008, 15:20   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sans33 View Post
it many times, but really don't know where is drain for it.Tommorrow is my off,so I'm going to check it myself.Thanks for help.
When you find the drain, please post the pics, so that others can learn from it.
Old 11th December 2008, 12:53   #9
BHPian

Help!

Water seems to be collecting in the passenger side footwell of my zen. Just cannot seem to find the source of the problem. It happens on and off.
-Not been raining for sometime
-Checked windsheild for leakages.
-Checked AC overflow pipe.
-Checked wether the window closes properly.
-Checked the drain plugs.
-Checked for leakages in door beading by splashing a bucket of water there as well.

The rubber mat does not seem to be wet at the top. Just at the bottom.
Any solutions guys?
Old 11th December 2008, 13:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Water seems to be collecting in the passenger side footwell of my zen. Just cannot seem to find the source of the problem. It happens on and off.
-Not been raining for sometime
-Checked windsheild for leakages.
-Checked AC overflow pipe.
-Checked wether the window closes properly.
-Checked the drain plugs.
-Checked for leakages in door beading by splashing a bucket of water there as well.

The rubber mat does not seem to be wet at the top. Just at the bottom.
Any solutions guys?
What rehaan suggested is probably the cause of this. throw a jug full of water through the vents near the bonnet and check if this water is slowly trickling below.

If its not raining, then the water source is from washing. Tell the guy who washes your car daily not to throw water on the bonnet grills for a couple of days and observe if water is still seeping in. If no, then its a drain problem.

Also check how your car is washed. the washing guy normally everyday removes the mat from the car, cleans it and then maybe lets the dripping mat back in. the water will seep in below the mat.

Also check the seals from where the ac and other pipes enter under the dash from the bonnet side. worn out seals may also cause water to seep in.
Old 11th December 2008, 13:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ue-solved.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-my-palio.html
Old 11th December 2008, 19:46   #12
BHPian

I had a similar problem i the Indica and for two monsoons the service station people could not figure out the cause. I had checked out every thing finaly it was the weld joints in the body that was letting the water in. This year all the joints ( especially in the engine compartment at the foot) were sealed with silicon sealant and the problem is resolved. Typically the water was flooding only in the foot mat and nowhere else. This was happening only in the rains though.
Old 11th December 2008, 20:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar issue, on investigation I found that the culprit was the broken antenna of the ikon (broke while relocating) . The water entered from there , into the light and dropped into the coin holder
Old 11th December 2008, 21:08   #14
BHPian

My friend had same problem with his zen, later we found the problem. After removing dashboard, we saw a hole (caused due to rusting) somewhere top left of AC blower.
Old 13th June 2009, 20:39   #15
BHPian

Water leak inside cabin.

HI guys,

I had kept my car Wagonr Lxi,in rain for 2 days in open air. Today morning opened and was shock to see water inside the cabin in carpet area of both sides of front seats Their was bad smell inside the cabin due to this! What may be the problem. As i park the car outside on the road, how do find the solution to this?

Thanks,
Ramki

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks