Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 18:23   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Reading the issue, Fuel Pump is the only culprit that comes to my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Have you noticed the temperature going into red? Its got to be either an overheating issue or the fuel pump itself. And Ikon's are notorious for eating fuel pumps once ever so often.
My friend , get the fuel pump check as early as possible. I had the same issue. my car used to run fine for initial 2 hours, then it used to stall with judders. the engine used to come to life, if i wait for 5 to 10 mins & then used to run fine for another 45-50 mins.

Even i tried everything suggested by Ford, changed spark plugs, got injectors cleaned, changed ignition cables and changed ignition coil, but the culprit was later diagnosed by my local mechanic as the faulty fuel pump motor. I changed the original fuel pump motor only with Delphi fuel pump motor . I have clocked around 6k kms after the change & my car is running fine.
Old 18th July 2008, 18:34   #17
BHPian

Fuel Pump - thats what got me!

Hi,

I had a similar issue and it was a fuel pump - the garages (i visited many) always indicated it could be electrical fault, ignition, fuel line, filter and what not - to their credit they left out the tyres!! Most guys dont know what they are dealing with. be careful with garages.

RD
Old 18th July 2008, 19:19   #18
BHPian

My Santro was also stopping on its own (especially with AC on). Change of fuel pump solved the problem.
Old 18th July 2008, 19:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Seemingly there could be a possibility that the Ignition coil you replaced has bunged up again. Quite common for Ford replacement parts.

Since your car was running fine for a month or so after replacement of the coil. I would first check the health of the new coil.

First check if the sputtering and stalling are a regular affair (note the frequency, say, daily). Ask the service center guys to replace the coil again as the coil should be under warranty. See if the problem does not happen (say for a week or so - meaning the frequency reduces).

Fuel Pumps are also a recalcitrant number. I had to go through many iterations of Fuel pump change till one decided to settle down.

Now both Fuel Pump and Ignition coil are problem areas in Ikon.
Old 18th July 2008, 20:44   #20
BHPian

Another thing that you can have checked are the spark plug wires.

Have the tech pull all of the wires off, and check resistance. The resistance should be around 1 ohm or so. What is important is not the 1 ohm reading, but all wires should be similar and have a finite resistance.

Have this done in front of you and look at the resistance reading on the digital voltmeter yourself. And do not let the tech or anyone else that this test is not needed. It is very often overlooked due to sheer laziness and lack of concern by the repair facility. So insist on it.

Did you get the diagnostic test done?
Old 18th July 2008, 22:29   #21
BHPian

Over heating of the fuel pump can cause malfunction,then when it cools down it performs normally,probably the fuel pump might be the problem,as if have heard its a common prob in the ikon
Old 18th July 2008, 22:43   #22
BHPian

Two things come to mind.

1)Check your fuel lines return pipe if there is one for blocks.
2)Drive the car with the fuel cap open. I do not mean the cosmetic fuel lid on the body of the car. The reason is that the fuel cap for Euro 2 cars are air tight except for a tiny orifice which allows for atmospheric pressure to equalize the pressure in the tank based on the fuel consumed. See if you can dupicate the problem after doing this. I presume you have tried out all otherthings including resetting your ECU.
Old 19th July 2008, 00:26   #23
BHPian

Thank you so much all of you. Atleast now I have a list of final to do's with my car. What's sad is that this is the only problem in my car, rest all is brand new....and how badly it is eating up my experience with a wonderful machine.

Here is what I plan:
I am giving the car to ford for 48 hours for the following:
1) Re-inspection of newly put Ingition coil (6 month warranty on the product as per the supervisor)
2) Cleaning of jets and checking of spark plugs for carbon deposits
3) ECU Checkup
4) Replacement of spark plug wires
5) Fuel pump thorough checkup

My radiator and fan are working perfectly fine with the coolant replaced on the last occasion. No heating issues with the car. I hope it is a regular ignition problem like other Ikons.

I hope I will get lucky with my car again
Old 25th July 2008, 21:23   #24
BHPian

@gaurav_diavolo: Any update on the issues? was that resolved? Keep posted.
Old 25th July 2008, 22:05   #25
BHPian

I own a ford Ikon 1.3 ( not rocam ) 2002. im facing the same problem, especially with the AC on. 2 out of 3 advised me to get my sensors programed and the 3rd one told il need to change my fuel pump. getting both checked as of now at the Ford service centre, though they haven't diagnosed yet ( 3rd day and running ).
All the best!
Old 1st October 2008, 02:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
@gaurav_diavolo: Any update on the issues? was that resolved? Keep posted.
YES YES YES! Update is here. My goodness, all you guys are much more precise that uneducated ford staff. It was indeed fuel pump. Sad that I unnecessary wasted money on ignition coil, injector cleaning, spark plug wiring etc. etc. I got the fuel pump pressure cleaned and now have run 2k till now, but the car seems fine. Although if it goes off now I would get it replaced straightaway. Mannn!, only I know how I lost Hosh with my Josh Machine.

An advice to all 1.6 owners from my acquired knowlege and experience with this problem: Fuel Pump in Ikon cloggs real quick, use Power petrol instead of regular. Other parts will surely last longer too.

A big thank you to all of you. cheers:
Old 1st October 2008, 09:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post

An advice to all 1.6 owners from my acquired knowlege and experience with this problem: Fuel Pump in Ikon cloggs real quick, use Power petrol instead of regular. Other parts will surely last longer too.

One more Issue of the fuel pump. Might as well change mine too to be on the safe side With my current ongoings with the car, Iam sure thats next.
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
YES YES YES! Update is here. My goodness, all you guys are much more precise that uneducated ford staff. It was indeed fuel pump. Sad that I unnecessary wasted money on ignition coil, injector cleaning, spark plug wiring etc. etc. I got the fuel pump pressure cleaned and now have run 2k till now, but the car seems fine. Although if it goes off now I would get it replaced straightaway. Mannn!, only I know how I lost Hosh with my Josh Machine.

i'm recently noticing that my 1.6 hates anything other than clean fuel filled up from shell. the last week i was forced to fill up IBP premium fuel at a bunk near agara in bangalore. after that i've noticed engine knocking sounds. today it was shuddering a bit while idling as well. this is the worst it's been and i hope that with just some shell filled up the fuel lines will get flushed as it has happened in the past. the biggest problem is that the nearest shell bunk is quite far from my place and involves me driving quite a number of kms through dense traffic :(
Old 4th October 2008, 15:39   #29
BHPian

[ I got the fuel pump pressure cleaned and now have run 2k till now, but the car seems fine. Although if it goes off now I would get it replaced straightaway. ]

Could you please clarify "fuel pump pressure cleaned"
If it really works, might be worthwhile to include in regular maintenance say at 20 K kms interval.
Old 5th October 2008, 16:03   #30
BHPian

Could you please clarify "fuel pump pressure cleaned"
If it really works, might be worthwhile to include in regular maintenance say at 20 K kms interval.[/quote]

The advisor at Ford had asked me that he can give one last try to cleaning of fuel pump before replacing it. But was helpful that since it is an expensive part (8200 odd) they can fit it and leave the car with me for 15-20 days to check if the problem is gone and then pay them.

I was told that Ikon has issues of some 'Varnish' melting in the fuel pump. So the Ford guys did a pressure cleaning of Fuel Pump and Petrol Tank, so that the rust from the tank and dirt and varnish from the pump go away, which allows pump to work to its full efficiency (this way if the problem persists they had the working of fuel pump to be blamed as everything related to this issue was checked and resolved). Luckily, the car never stalled or stopped again, clogged 3k now. Charges for this cleaning and labour were about 1000 bucks. And car is runnin in a mint condition.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks