Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2008, 23:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
In the Palio the radiator fan is directly connected to the battery. So it stays on till the desired cooling down has occured.
Correct. Once I was able to start and run the fan through the analyzer when it was connected to the car's ECU. Ignition doesn't matter.
Old 29th July 2008, 23:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I've had this on my brand new Fiesta last year, and the service advisor told me it was normal for the engine to run for a minute or so after the ignition is switced off.
Is that engine running or just the fan ? I dont think that the engine will still run after removing the key. I have never observed such thing on any car tilll now.
Old 30th July 2008, 00:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

In a zen as soon as u switch off the engine, the fan stops.PERIOD.Does not work the palio way in a maruti.
Old 30th July 2008, 00:42   #19
BHPian

The problem is definitely with the electricals. I suspect the relay in all probabilities here since the relay is drawing current from the battery and not getting cut out.

The Palio, Fiesta etc have this feature for the fan to run after engine is shut so the fan runs for a couple of minutes before coming to a halt.

Get the wiring and relays checked and also check for melted fuses that might have led to a direct connection and bypassing the fuse.

With electricals going bad, anything is possible
Old 30th July 2008, 00:54   #20
BHPian

As mentioned already, the Palio's fan will run for 15 seconds or so after shut off to prevent heat build up. This is a very rare feature for cars, and shows the attention to detail and build quality of the Palio. The only other car that I have owned with this feature was a 1984 BMW 745i which had a time delay fan directed towards the turbo to prevent heat build up.

In most other cars, if your fan is running after shut off, there is likely a relay fault. Replacement of the fan relay usually fixes this.
Old 30th July 2008, 07:19   #21
BHPian

This should not happen in a Zen, I have owned one for sometime and never had this problem, there seems to be some electrical problem somewhere, please get the electricals checked.
Old 30th July 2008, 07:49   #22
BHPian

I have been observing the AC radiator fan for the past 2 days. Out of 8 times, it has stayed on for 2 times even after turning the ignition off. On one occasion it stayed on for almost 8 minutes, till I turned on the ignition and turned it off again. This time the fan stopped on turning the ignition off. Strangely, all this time the engine temperature gauge was at normal and the engine too did not feel unusually hot.

I was wondering, if this can be caused by water in the electricals. It has been raining continuously here in Nagpur for the past 3 days and the car did go through quite a few puddles. This problem cropped up after the car was driven around quite a lot in the rain. Where are the relays housed in the Zen? Can I check the AC fan relay by myself? What do I have to look for? Any suggestions?
Old 30th July 2008, 07:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

I dont think this is a DIY kind of repair. Better take it to an authorised service station.
Old 30th July 2008, 12:13   #24
BHPian

Well, I am not going to attempt any major repair here, although I do consider myself a bit tech-savvy, having taken apart, repaired and put together successfully, a 4 cylinder engine, a gearbox from a Mahindra Jeep, several DIY jobs on my Padmini and several scooter and moped engines.

But I would still like to find out what is causing this problem before I hand it over to Maruti Service.
Old 30th July 2008, 15:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Is that engine running or just the fan ? I dont think that the engine will still run after removing the key. I have never observed such thing on any car tilll now.
Sorry for the typo, I meant the fan, not the engine
Old 30th July 2008, 16:42   #26
BHPian

I noticed it once on my Fiesta, a few days after I bought the car. I thought something was wrong as the fan was running for 2-3 mins after removing the key and then shut itself down. I was a little worried then, as this was the first time I noticed such a thing happening in cars that I've seen.

But it never happened after that and I forgot all about it until I came upon this thread. Now i'm wondering what would have caused it to run at that time...
Old 30th July 2008, 21:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

If I am not wrong, the cooling fans in Marutis go through the ignition too - unlike the Palios quoted here. My Peugeot 309's fan will run after the key is off the ignition, and sensor (or something to do with it) developed a problem. And the car being a Peugeot, we had to install a switch for the fan and now we turn it on/off manually!!
Old 31st July 2008, 09:44   #28
BHPian

@ all, so much for palio's, fiesta's zen's etc! But guys, what about my vtec! Please help!

Shrey
Old 31st July 2008, 10:00   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
I sure do hope the fan does not start by itself...lol! Still, how does the radiator fan receive power from the battery when the ignition is off? Is the fan connected to the battery without going to the ignition?

Hi cool,

The radiator fan will power-off when the ignition is off. It needs battery power.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:01   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
@ all, so much for palio's, fiesta's zen's etc! But guys, what about my vtec! Please help!

Shrey
I have never noticed my Vtec fan kicking in after engine shutdown. You definitely need to get her checked up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks