Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 14:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
Hi cool,

The radiator fan will power-off when the ignition is off. It needs battery power.
not necessarily I feel - as i have seen some cars with fans running for about 30 seconds after the driver has left.
It needs battery power right but may not be connected thru ignition off - so it should be having 12V constant.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:21   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have never noticed my Vtec fan kicking in after engine shutdown. You definitely need to get her checked up.
GTO is right, the OHC / VTEC fans will stop as soon as you turn the ignition off. Anything else and you have an electrical issue!
Old 31st July 2008, 14:40   #33
BHPian

hay dude its a problem ago engine overheating i had this same problem in my friends car in the end it turned out to be low in coolent and was suffering a hose pipe leak just dont worry dude get your coolent level checked as your is overheating mildly .
Old 1st August 2008, 19:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeguru View Post
hay dude its a problem ago engine overheating i had this same problem in my friends car in the end it turned out to be low in coolent and was suffering a hose pipe leak just dont worry dude get your coolent level checked as your is overheating mildly .
I think you may have cracked it bikeguru! How did I miss this! I just checked the coolant tank and it is indeed almost empty. I will top it up tomorrow and see if the problem goes away. The engine temperature gauge does not show any rise in temperature, but if it is indeed overheating mildly, as you say, the fan may be running a few minutes after ignition turn-off to cool the engine.

btw, what was your friend's car?
Old 1st August 2008, 21:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
I think you may have cracked it bikeguru! How did I miss this! I just checked the coolant tank and it is indeed almost empty.
did you check the overflow tank or the radiator itself? overflow tank is normally almost empty. should fill up when the engine gets hot and expels coolant to reservoir.

open the radiator cap when cold and fill it up first. and I won't recommend opening the cap too often though.
Old 10th July 2016, 20:00   #36

Ford Ikon radiator fan running with ignition OFF !!

Hi guys, hope you all are doing good.

Today I was washing my Ikon 1.6 and decided to wash the engine bay as well because a quite amount of dust had accumulated on the inside. So I disconnected the battery and went ahead with hosing down the entire bay.

About an hour later, just when I reconnected the battery, I heard a sound of a motor running. And to my surprise, the radiator fan started running on its own. I got confused when I found the car keys in my pocket. I switched on the ignition and switched it off but the fan was still running. I stared the car, kept it running for about a minute and stopped the engine but the fan didn't stop.

Confused with the situation I blew air through the vacuum cleaner to fast dry the water accumulated on the fan connector and the fuses near the battery and its terminals. Still two hours later after drying it up, the problem persists.

Now battery is disconnected and I'm waiting for tomorrow to check it again.

Any idea guys what could have gone wrong. I have washed the engine bay even before a couple of times, like once every two months, sometimes even without disconnecting the battery. But this is something new and surprising. Looking forward for your suggestions and advises on the current situation.

Best regards
Amandeep.
Old 10th July 2016, 21:24   #37
MSC
BHPian

re: Ford Ikon radiator fan running with ignition OFF !!

It is quite possible that water might have seeped into fan connectors leading to a complete circuit. It also might indicate a cracked wire somewhere. Please have a thorough check especially if some part of wire is tapped. Let it dry overnight and try once again tomorrow. Hopefully once the water dries off, it should return to normal.

p.s. Its good that you have kept battery disconnected. Keep the battery disconnected otherwise you might end up with a dead battery.

Last edited by MSC : 10th July 2016 at 21:29.
MSC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 09:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Radiator Fan keeps running, even after the ignition is off!

Dear All,
I am facing a peculiar problem since last evening. Its a Skoda Rapid 2012 TDI. I parked the car after a longish run (30 mins or so) ,switched off the ignition, take out the key and lock the car. The radiator fan is still going on. I can hear the sound loud enough, although the key is not in the ignition. This was gong on for at least 3 minutes after I locked the car. I had to insert the key in, turn it half (till the lights came up) and then switch it off again. The fan stopped.

I opened the bonnet last evening, but was not able to check what was running. It sounded like the fan for sure and was properly audible. Any possible solution/ reason this could be happening? Will this drain into battery, since the engine is off when the fan is running?
Old 4th November 2016, 10:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

It could be an issue with the fuse related to radiator fan. Find the fuse, clean and blow air in the socket and re plug it.
I got the same issue in my Linea and a 5 minutes job cleared the issue.
An ant or water could short circuit the fuse which cause fan running through out.
Hope it helps.
aks_karthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 10:35   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Dear All,
I am facing a peculiar problem since last evening. Its a Skoda Rapid 2012 TDI. I parked the car after a longish run (30 mins or so) ,switched off the ignition, take out the key and lock the car. The radiator fan is still going on. I can hear the sound loud enough, although the key is not in the ignition. This was gong on for at least 3 minutes after I locked the car. I had to insert the key in, turn it half (till the lights came up) and then switch it off again. The fan stopped.
Its not a problem for Radiator fan to run even after Key is removed. Reason can be
1: Oil temperature is really hot! Did you notice temp level in dash (if you have one)

3. ECM bug! May be ignition off quickly shutdown without shutting down radiator relay fan (Via actuator)!

4. Radiator Fan relay circuit faults? Usually radiator relay gets power by ECM via actuator. Check if relay point is getting power using multi meter. If yes, is actuator might be fault.

Quote:
I opened the bonnet last evening, but was not able to check what was running. It sounded like the fan for sure and was properly audible. Any possible solution/ reason this could be happening?
If it was radiator fan, you should be able to recognize it.

Quote:
Will this drain into battery, since the engine is off when the fan is running?
Yes, it will drain the battery! Rather than disconnecting the battery, better would be removing Fan relay in fuse box would be better idea.
Old 4th November 2016, 10:44   #41
Senior - BHPian

Update: I checked the coolant level and it was empty. I think this was the reason the radiator fan was running even after the engine was off.
Need to go out and purchase coolant and top it up. Meanwhile, I need to visit the service center to see if there is any issue with leakage in the coolant pipe, as it was topped up in April, it should not have run dry so soon.
Thanks all for your quick answers.
Old 4th November 2016, 10:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All,
I had a similar behavior in my bike (CBR 250). The fan is directly connected to the battery and will run depending on the coolant temperature irrespective of ignition key position.

One day after reaching office, the fan was still running and I ignored as it was a regular behavior. When I came back in the evening , the vehicle didn't start and the battery was drained. When I re-charged the battery connected , the fan started running again!
When i went to service center, the behavior was due to relay failure and hence the fan was running continuously.

So if it is running longer than usual, please keep an eye so that you are not surprised later.

Last edited by Doo_Dev : 4th November 2016 at 11:18. Reason: grammartical error
Old 5th November 2016, 10:30   #43

I've seen the radiator fan run after ignition off on multiple cars. This would be typically for only under a minute or so, and I've always thought this is perfectly normal. I'd expect this after long drives in heavy slow moving traffic under a hot sun, because then there would be a lot of heat that's not dissipated by natural flowing air.
Old 5th November 2016, 17:38   #44
BHPian

My Figo has the fan running for a few minutes after the keys are taken off. Yes it's usually after a ride in heavy traffic as mentioned by others.
Old 5th November 2016, 19:53   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I have heard about Fiat Palio's radiator fan which would run independent of ignition being on or off. In most other cars, fan won't run until there is a faulty relay or some electrical failure.
All said and done, I would never be comfortable working inside the hood of such cars where the fan might start with ignition being off!
Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks