Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2007, 03:31   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
For K&N filters you can approach Mahaveer Auto on G.P Road. They are also authorised dealers for K&N.
Thanks for the info rr_Zen. I think i know that shop...had my sunfilms done there for my car... will make a visit soon..
Old 1st February 2007, 12:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

Could some one please let me know if the Iridium plugs make any significant difference compared to normal ones? How much gain can i expect? I am plannin on OWS plugs in next few weeks.

I have an esteem with OE K&N and 4X1 Freeflow. I've heard from many people that the change is only minor and the effects felt are more due to MHP.

Would be glad if the experts can throw more light on this.

Thnx.
Old 1st February 2007, 13:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

i was also told the same. i dont think they can drastically alter the performance of your car.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:02   #34

Hi, I have a query. I just bought a set of NGK Iridium plugs for my Santro LPG. Before installing the plugs i would like to know if I have to do anything to the plug gap, do i install it as it is or can i reduce the plug gap to an extent. The gaps have been reduced in the platinum plugs currently in use in the car since the car is running on LPG. Can someone advice regarding this matter.

Prem
Old 21st May 2007, 19:45   #35
BHPian

Hey, was browsing through a few sites the other day and this is what I hit upon...

Silver Plugs...It seems they are better than Iridium and Platinum. You can check the link below. What say?

Source ::: Nology Silver Spark Plugs for direct fire ignitions
Old 7th August 2007, 14:33   #36
BHPian

Are these available here??
Old 7th August 2007, 18:17   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think some of you need to read this thread (ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car) before installing iridium plugs.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2007, 18:34   #38
BHPian

A famous tuner adviced me against going for iridium plugs in my 1.6 fiat even if it is supported my mods like ffe and porting.
Old 30th August 2007, 00:03   #39
BHPian

Can someone let me know the part no for OWS Iridium spark plug for the Ikon 1.6? At Electra, I was told it has a different spark plug than the others because of its long head, but was quoted 950 for it. Thats a steep price I feel.

At Mahavir Automobiles he asked me to get the part no and he'll source it for me.

cya
A
Old 30th August 2007, 02:28   #40
BHPian

According to the 25bhp faq rare metal plugs is the last thing to go for. However still waiting for the ideal heat ranges to be used for what cars.
Old 30th August 2007, 11:42   #41
BHPian

Hi, my $0.02... I switched from stock plugs to OWS Iridium plugs last year, the cost was around 3K.

Before making the switch I read up online & what I learned was that Iridium, when compared to Platinum, has a substantially high melting point, & is also considerably harder, around 6 to 8 times ! Essentially, with Iridium manufacturers can make the center electrode much thinner, typically around 0.4mm to 0.6mm. The thinner electrode reduces the voltage required to make the spark 'jump', so the ignition components are stressed less.
Anyway, that's the theory. On making the switch, I did not notice any significant difference in performance, although it seemed that the engine was running smoother. If you're expecting to spend 3K on a set of Iridium plugs & gain a few BHPs, you're in for some disappointment. If however, you're planning to have your head ported, polished, shaved, & possibly turbo'd in the future, go for the plugs & wires - like good icing on a great cake.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2007, 19:29   #42
BHPian

If there is no performance difference why do all these people spend thier hard earned money on them?
Old 5th October 2007, 21:36   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
If there is no performance difference why do all these people spend thier hard earned money on them?
Thats because the plug dealers talk their way into the customer's mind and get them buying it. Iam not generalizing all dealers. In a friend's case, a guy representing a reputed performance shop in Chennai gave gyaan of how these plugs can enhance performance at a higher level blah! blah! blah! and got my friend into buying it. And end of the day just money blown and car is jyst running the same way as it always to be. And FYI, this car is modded, ported polished, cold air intake and the plug wires had also been upgraded. So its no stock car.

And watch out for a new thread of this guy(dealer). Truly a shame that a guy representing a respected Performance parts shop in Chennai, cons people into paying up huge sum of money and does not deliver what is asked for. For example a 13" Plati rims for 26kto 30k and a Simota cold air intake for 20k, can you believe that? I will let everyone know of the big rip-off story my friend had gone through, very soon. So wait up.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 5th October 2007 at 21:49.
Old 6th October 2007, 10:38   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats because the plug dealers talk their way into the customer's mind and get them buying it. Iam not generalizing all dealers.
Absolutely. For anyone considering iridium plugs, please have a look at our article on Modifying your car (ARTICLE: How to Modify / Tune your car).

Here is an excerpt on iridium plugs:

Quote:
Performance plugs are pointless on a stock / marginally modified car. Iridium plugs have hardly any benefits and you will never notice them anyway. In case you do install the same, ensure that you pick up plugs with the correct heat range for your engine. Approximate cost = Rs.800 – 3,500.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2007, 10:53   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Instead of Iridium plugs, Bosch Platinum+4 is recommended. I'm trying to source a set for my car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks