Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2006, 23:18   #1
BHPian

Iridium Spark Plugs-are they worth it?

Guys,

Is there any significant difference in performance between the OWS or the NGK Iridium plugs?

And what is the price difference between the 2 brands?

Thanks.

Last edited by harmon_bro : 15th August 2006 at 23:22.
Old 15th August 2006, 23:35   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan
From what Knowledge i have till date i think Iridiums increase your miles and they last longer
also they cost around each 1000 Rs
But does the OWS version or Iridium plugs perform on par with the NGK range of the same?
Old 16th August 2006, 00:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfan
From what Knowledge i have till date i think Iridiums increase your miles and they last longer
also they cost around each 1000 Rs
I am currently using NGK iridium plugs, the difference is not really all that great as they are made out to be, but i suggest that you reduce the gap to 0.9. then the difference is marginaly better.
Old 16th August 2006, 08:28   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro
But does the OWS version or Iridium plugs perform on par with the NGK range of the same?
Hi,

I would put it the other way around. Is the performance of NGK Iridium at par with the OWS twin tip Iridium. I have used both and can confidently say that the OWS is far superior. At the end of the day its your decision.

Viper
Old 16th August 2006, 09:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Hi,

I would put it the other way around. Is the performance of NGK Iridium at par with the OWS twin tip Iridium. I have used both and can confidently say that the OWS is far superior. At the end of the day its your decision.

Viper
Thanks Viper, I already decided on the OWS plugs, wanted to make sure I buy the right one. OWS it is then. Iam planning to get it plugged in along with my FF kit from Speedworks sometime next month. I just cant wait .
Old 16th August 2006, 09:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

I read from a site posted from a TBHPian that OWS iridium plug costs 750Rs/plug. And do OWS have jsut one type of iridium plug?
Old 16th August 2006, 10:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
I read from a site posted from a TBHPian that OWS iridium plug costs 750Rs/plug. And do OWS have jsut one type of iridium plug?
Please check with http://speedworksindia.com/contact.htm . These guys can help you out. Ask for Praveen.
Old 16th August 2006, 16:15   #8
BHPian

what is the gap to be set on owa iridium plugs for a baleno
Old 16th August 2006, 16:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

I just called up distributor for OWS in HYD. The guy quoted me 650/- per piece. He told there is no need to set gaps for Santro. I am going to buy a set of 4. Now do i get t-bhp discount on this stuff?
Old 16th August 2006, 16:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
I just called up distributor for OWS in HYD. The guy quoted me 650/- per piece. He told there is no need to set gaps for Santro. I am going to buy a set of 4. Now do i get t-bhp discount on this stuff?
Its Rs.750/plug here in Chennai.
Old 16th August 2006, 16:58   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee
Hi,

I think he has already given you a discounted price. It retails for Rs 750/- each.

Viper
Old 12th October 2006, 17:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro
Its Rs.750/plug here in Chennai.
Kutlee, am from Hyd too and own a santro myself. Was just curious to know whether there is any difference after upgrading to Iridium, if so what and whether you had to change the cables too, if so how much did this total to?
Old 12th October 2006, 18:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

How do you guys measure the performane increse with change of ignition plugs fron oem type to iridium or platinum tip.can statically some one prove its better?
These high strength material will sure withstand extreme temperatures but i think the oem ones are also designed to withstand the maximum possible heat generated in a norma car engine.
Those who have turbo charged their engines and redone their heads can sure change for these, but ones using standard setup it will be a waste of money.
The tip of plug is a question of debate. A electrical spark will always take the shortest possible route to discharge itself, so weather you have twin tip or quarda tip there is going to be only one spark per firing cycle.
if one of the tip gets clogged due carbon formation and gives less resistance than air the discharge will be throughit and not the free tip. so having mlti tips may not be useul.
Also those brand which have these kind of rare metals tips welded to main body have a chance of meltingand falling into cyliner and damaging it, it has happened.
Why not just replace the oem ones every year than cleaning it and putting it back??? 500/- a year is not much.
I think you should go for the exotic ones only if you have changed your ignition source to high discharge type.
Whats your advice on this gurus???
gigy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2006, 19:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

gigy wise words, completely agree, not a guru though
Old 13th October 2006, 00:58   #15
BHPian

Just put ows iridium plugs from VIPER in my car...the diff is fairly noticible only if u go for other mods as well...just a spark plug switch may not increase performance by leaps and bounds..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks