Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 23:15   #16
BHPian

Hi Team,

My Accent Engine is in the Assembling stages at the moment and will be ready by this weekend. The question that I have is that ....will there be a RUNIN period during which the Car will have to driven below a particular speed limit? if yes then for how long and below what speed?

Will my Mileage increase in any way now that the Engine has been Overhauled?

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 19th September 2008, 09:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Hi Team,

My Accent Engine is in the Assembling stages at the moment and will be ready by this weekend. The question that I have is that ....will there be a RUNIN period during which the Car will have to driven below a particular speed limit? if yes then for how long and below what speed?

Cheers,

Peter.
We are eager to know the price quotation for such job
Old 19th September 2008, 11:44   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The question that I have is that ....will there be a RUNIN period during which the Car will have to driven below a particular speed limit? if yes then for how long and below what speed?
Yes, a rebuilt engine requires to be run-in too. Look up our Advice section for tips on running in.

Quote:
Yes again. The rebuilt engine will have better performance & efficiency once completely run-in.
Old 19th September 2008, 15:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlemalt
1.5 years back my accent(1999 1.5 GLS) stopped in the middle of the road. The cause was overheating. When I checked the engine oil, it was empty. I suspected oil leakage and got it checked at two places but there didn't seem to be any leakage.

When the problem had started the odo reading was around 85k. I was told that the engine oil is being consumed(burnt) in the engine and the only solution was to go for an engine overhaul.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter
Yes my Car has clocked around 87K on the ODO now , seems like a time for an Overhaul
So, Petrol accents can last upto just 85,000 kms.
Old 19th September 2008, 18:41   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
So, Petrol accents can last upto just 85,000 kms.
Hey Nitrous,

That depends actually cause everything was working fine in the Car until I notioced that the Engine Oil level had gone down miserably ...but the Engine didnt show any signs of Damage , neither did the Engine Oil lamp trun on which was weird and also alarming cause the Lamp should have truned on and indicated to me abt the failure , when Hyundai opened up the Engine they mentioned that the Piston Rings were damaged which resulted in the Oil consumption issue , I think that If I had waited a bit more longer then the damage would have been much more.
Old 20th September 2008, 01:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Here's a easy way to test if you just need a piston ring job.
Remove the spark plugs and check the compression of each cylinder. It is obviously going to be quite lower than needed.

Now, throw a dash of oil into the cylinder again ,crank the engine and check compression.
If it improves close to what's required, you will know its just a ring job.
Old 24th September 2008, 21:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
We are eager to know the price quotation for such job
Team,

The Car is finally ready with the Overhaul done, the cost incurred came to a total of 48K , which is broken into 31K for the Engine Overhaul.....Parts....Labour , 12K for 4 Michelin XM1+ tyres and 5K for Amaron Pro battery.

Bottomline is that Iam glad to get my Wheels back to life , almost a Brand new Engine now

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 25th September 2008, 01:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

30k is a decent cost for an engine rebuild.
But, it would be nice of you if you could post the parts and the machining costs involved.
Old 29th September 2008, 15:19   #24
BHPian

Team,

The labour cost from Hyundai was 2.5K
Machining costs of the engine was 2.6K
Parts replaced during Engine Overhaul was roughly around Rs 21K
Total Vat charged on the Overall Bill was Rs 4K

So much for the Vat part of it........

Cheers,

Peter
Old 7th February 2009, 20:05   #25
BHPian

hi peter, since its been approx 6 month, i'd like to know how your car's performing right now. cause i had the same problem and got the overhaul job done and 6 months post it has started giving me the symptoms all over again.
Old 7th February 2009, 22:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
hi peter, since its been approx 6 month, i'd like to know how your car's performing right now. cause i had the same problem and got the overhaul job done and 6 months post it has started giving me the symptoms all over again.
Its burning oil after overhaul??

Did you overheated the engine in any of your trips/drive etc.?

Please post in detail!
Old 8th February 2009, 10:19   #27
BHPian

anyway i had always thought that an engine overhaul should be needed after 1.5 to 2 lakh kms in most modern cars . Even in my old maruti 800 carburated the engine just needed a ring change after 1.10 lakh kms although the car was on lpg
Old 9th February 2009, 15:13   #28
BHPian

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gultajkanwal View Post
HI,The engine is running very smooth now , the technicians at Hyundai Verna Goa did a very good job in regards to the Overhaul , Honestly speaking its as if the Car is brand new , drove it 5K after the overhaul and its running smooth, no issues.The engine now has a lot of power unlike prior to the Overhaul and is fun to drive once more and the engine is now very much silent at high speeds too .The mileage has increased too which makes me all the more happier Iam pretty much sure that it all depends on how the entire Overhaul exercise is performed on your car, if its done properly by experienced technicians then it should be like as good as new after the JOB is completed.Cheers,Peter.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:31   #29
Senior - BHPian

I am also surprised by an overhaul so soon. Modern petrol engined cars can easily do 125,000+km before the engine needs attention. I had an Esteem which I sold with 65,000km on the clock. The fellow who bought it did another 350,000+km before he sold it. Towards the end the car was somewhat low on power (reduced compression), but was not smoking or anything like that.
Old 9th February 2009, 15:47   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am also surprised by an overhaul so soon. Modern petrol engined cars can easily do 125,000+km before the engine needs attention. I had an Esteem which I sold with 65,000km on the clock. The fellow who bought it did another 350,000+km before he sold it. Towards the end the car was somewhat low on power (reduced compression), but was not smoking or anything like that.
Japanese built engines can't be compared to Korean ones, as I recall from my experience in US, most Japanese engines even those abused and not well maintained would easily cross 300,000+ miles mark before needing any overhaul, my Honda Accord V6 is at 500,000+ mark and I haven't done any major work on it yet except for wear and tear parts. All the Hyundais I would see would have engine failures at 80,000 miles mark, those driven on highways would edge past 100,000 miles before needing major work. Earlier the Germans would build engine that were meant to last as well and the older OM616 and 617 and M103 Mercedes engines would handsolely outlast every other engines in their class including ones from the Japanese but sadly, their current crop leaves much to be desired although MB OM611 is one last example of solid old everlasting German technology. Even in commercial engines, the Japanese excelled, engines from HINO are legendary across the globe and specially in Asia where they take abuse and keep going for miles. Even smaller manufacturers like Nissan, Mitsu and Mazda as well as Isuzu make some real solid commercial and domestic diesel engines. The Accord engine, four and six cylinder, the V8 used in Lexus are some prime examples of long lasting quality engines.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks