Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2008, 23:40   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Accent 1.5 GLS Engine Oil Consumption

Hi Team,

I happened to check the Engine Oil Level in my Accent GLS 1.5 2002 Model , to my horror there hardly was any Engine OIL left in it , which worries me as I remember very well changing the oil to Castrol Magnatec not even 6 months back including the OIL filter as well.

What I want to know is whether THIS IS NORMAL??? does the Engine OIL just disappear just like that ? The Engine sounds fine and performs well as well its just that the OIL seems to reduce , Iam going to top up the OIL tomorrow and watch the level periodically to check whether the Level goes down.

Please advice as to what may be going wrong ? Is my Engine damaged ? Gurus Please help me on this, also out of Curiousity does anyone know as to whether I can Purchase a Brand New Engine from Hyundai for the Hyundai Accent ? if Yes then how much would it Cost me ?

Thanks Guys,

Do let me know of your Inputs on this.

Regards,

Peter
Old 6th September 2008, 10:00   #2
BHPian

Hi Peter!

Yes, you can purchase a new engine from the dealers. You have to ask them about it...i think for the 1.5 petrol it will cost around Rs.1.5 - 2 lakhs.

You may be having a small oil leakage issue. How is the colour of the smoke when you do a cold-start in the morning & when the engine is at normal operating temperatures? What is the colour of the remaning oil? What is the colour of the coolant? How many kms have you logged?

You will have to answer these questions. Better still, t5ake it to an AUTHORISED Hyundai A.S.S. & let them look into this problem.

Last edited by 1self : 6th September 2008 at 10:01.
Old 6th September 2008, 10:13   #3
BHPian

When you want to check the oil, make sure the car is parked on a level surface, and the engine has been at rest for at least two hours. Any other circumstances will give you a wrong reading. Have you got the reading with these parameters? What about your oil warning light, did it not come on?
Old 6th September 2008, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK there is no 1.5gls in accent range its either 1.6 gls/glx or 1.5 gvs or gle

btw how much has the engine run (odo) reading
Old 6th September 2008, 11:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

This is not normal. I had a 2002 Accent GLS (1.5) as well and have never faced this issue during the 50k kms we had the car, and this involved extended periods of zero usage when we were outside the country.

Engine oil doesnt disappear like that, whether in an Accent GLS or in any other car.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:36   #6
BHPian

Hi Team

Team, There is no indication of any smoke during the cold start, the engine oil light doesnt come on as well , the car runs perfectly fine but last week the Car had stopped suddenly on the way and started again after sometime ...Iam thinking that it may be due to less amount of OIL? also cant this problem be rectified? as getting a new Engine is an Expensive affair.

Does Hyundai provide a Overhaul Service like the Maruti? wherein they Overhaul the entire engine and do it up again for 10K?

Do let me know team.

Thanks,

Peter.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:52   #7
BHPian

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
When you want to check the oil, make sure the car is parked on a level surface, and the engine has been at rest for at least two hours. Any other circumstances will give you a wrong reading. Have you got the reading with these parameters? What about your oil warning light, did it not come on?
HI Filcord,

The Car is resting at a slightly inclined position as the parking is slightly inclined , not much actually , and the OIL warning Light doesnt come on , shouldnt it be coming on if the Level is low?

Peter.
Old 6th September 2008, 12:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Peter - The place where you park the car, can you see any oil marks/stains there??
Old 6th September 2008, 13:09   #9
BHPian

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Peter - The place where you park the car, can you see any oil marks/stains there??
Hi Iraghava,

No marks to be seen at all. No signs of any leakages at all.

Peter.
Old 6th September 2008, 18:34   #10
BHPian

Team,

Can anyone please tell as to how much Engine Oil needs to be put in the Hyundai Accent during the Oil Change? I cant find my User manual hence any inputs would be of great help.

Regards,
Peter.
Old 7th September 2008, 04:41   #11

same problem

Hi Peter,

My car has the same problem !! 1.5 years back my accent(1999 1.5 GLS) stopped in the middle of the road. The cause was overheating. When I checked the engine oil, it was empty. I suspected oil leakage and got it checked at two places but there didn't seem to be any leakage.

When the problem had started the odo reading was around 85k. I was told that the engine oil is being consumed(burnt) in the engine and the only solution was to go for an engine overhaul.

I will be returning to India within a month and planning to get the engine overhauled completely plus some modifications.

Can you tell me the odo reading of your car? I would advice you to get your car checked at a hyundai service centre to be sure that there are no leakages.
Old 7th September 2008, 07:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
HI Filcord,

The Car is resting at a slightly inclined position as the parking is slightly inclined , not much actually , and the OIL warning Light doesnt come on , shouldnt it be coming on if the Level is low?

Peter.
Do not check oil in an inclined position(park it on level surface for 2-3 hours then check oil level),Accent requires 3.5 L of engine oil.
Yes the light does come on when the oil level is low.
Old 7th September 2008, 12:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINGLEMALT View Post
Hi Peter,

My car has the same problem !! 1.5 years back my accent(1999 1.5 GLS) stopped in the middle of the road. The cause was overheating. When I checked the engine oil, it was empty. I suspected oil leakage and got it checked at two places but there didn't seem to be any leakage.

When the problem had started the odo reading was around 85k. I was told that the engine oil is being consumed(burnt) in the engine and the only solution was to go for an engine overhaul.

I will be returning to India within a month and planning to get the engine overhauled completely plus some modifications.

Can you tell me the odo reading of your car? I would advice you to get your car checked at a hyundai service centre to be sure that there are no leakages.
Hi ,

Yes my Car has clocked around 87K on the ODO now , seems like a time for an Overhaul , grrrrrrr that scares me as Hyundai somehow charge a bomb for such Jobs. BUt we do what we have to do so it might be a Overhaul for me as well.

Will check with Hyundai on this.

Peter.
Old 12th September 2008, 20:01   #14
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

My Accent is now at the Hyundai Service Centre at GOA , the team there have done a Compression test and the car has failed the test with very low figures, hence they have informed that they will have to do a Overhaul of the Engine to get the engine fixed.

Could someone tell me as to whats the cost involved that Iam looking at here? has anyone done a Overhaul of their Hyundai Accents ? any info would be much appreciated.

Also the technician at Hyundai mentioned that after the Engine Overhauling the Engine would be as good as new...is this true?

Do let me know.

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 13th September 2008, 13:53   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Each time you fill up on petrol, please make it a habit to check everything under the hood of your car. Giving her the once over ever so often goes a long way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks