Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2008, 11:39   #1

ESTEEM - Virtual Turbo Build - Up EDIT: Video on Pg 4

This is something that has ind for a couple been on my mind for a couple of days now. I am in the process of getting a turbo done on my esteem. Its a complete DIY. Hence this thread....

A walk through / virtual build up like the one we have on the ECUs -

Experts please chip in with your experiences / suggestions

1. Engine - In my case its a esteem 1300cc MPFI with 10000kms on the odo. Engine is known to withstand upto 7psi.

2. Target Figures - I am looking at 130 bhp at the crank right now. No forged internals etc. The car will be daily driven and has to be streetable and reliable. Turbo has to boost above 3000 rpm so that i can use closed loop for FE reasons.

3. Turbo Selection - Based on target bhp and cfm, my choices were the GT15 (0.48) or the GT20 (0.52)

4. I/C, Pipings etc - Since mine is a low boost application, I decided to go with the scorpio's intercooler ( Top mount or Front Mount ? ), piping sizes to be on the safer side will be 2.5" or 3"

5. Engine Management??? - How do you tune a ecu / stand alone???

6. Cooling System Upgrade?

I am still in the process of data collection and research.

It'll be of great help if the experts and people who have taken the plunge already can help me here.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2008 at 10:54. Reason: Link to ECU thread added.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:45   #2
Team-BHP Support

contact psycho. from what i understand he has a crazzzzzzzzzy turbo esteem.
Old 11th September 2008, 11:46   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

I think gt15 would be a tad small. Stick to the gt20 or 22. You may be able to achieve a desired ouput of around 120bhp at 7 psi.

If you don't mind making a scoop on the bonnet go for the top mount. Personally I'd prefer a front mount. You could use a swift d's intercooler if you want.

Make sure you get the plumbing sizes right and get good quality silicon hoses. Don't use the ordinary rubber ones.

Its better to stick to a aftermarket ECU to get a good control over timing and fuel.
Old 12th September 2008, 16:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

My Replies inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder View Post
1. Engine - In my case its a esteem 1300cc MPFI with 10000kms on the odo. Engine is known to withstand upto 7psi.
Yes it can take 7 psi but the MAP sensor will give way at 4 psi.

Quote:
2. Target Figures - I am looking at 130 bhp at the crank right now. No forged internals etc. The car will be daily driven and has to be streetable and reliable. Turbo has to boost above 3000 rpm so that i can use closed loop for FE reasons.
Not possible at 7psi, boosting can be set by choosing the right turbo sizing.

Quote:
3. Turbo Selection - Based on target bhp and cfm, my choices were the GT15 (0.48) or the GT20 (0.52)
Option 2 would be good for the required flow rates and a lil late boosting, GT15 will be too small.

Quote:
4. I/C, Pipings etc - Since mine is a low boost application, I decided to go with the scorpio's intercooler ( Top mount or Front Mount ? ), piping sizes to be on the safer side will be 2.5" or 3"
Front mount, 1.5 inch is enough.

Quote:
5. Engine Management??? - How do you tune a ecu / stand alone???
Go to a tuner

Quote:
6. Cooling System Upgrade?
Not required for those boost levels but might have to repipe if you use a water cooled turbo.
Old 13th September 2008, 07:44   #5

some more queries..

thanks psycho,so from all your suggestions i'm going for a gt20 .

but some more help required

about the boost: what is to be done with the MAP sensor ?

pipings: 1.5 inch, silicon joints are fine.. but steel pipings or aluminium?

cooling system: oil cooled or water cooled.. which would be reliable?

ECM: RD's ecm..? right now iam running with his street pack and its damn good.

intercooler: front mount.. but any other way with out compromising my A/c.. i thought of top mount by changing my hood to a custom made one..
but i don kno yet..

control valves: any brand or used one's are sufficient..?

so if i could get over these then i would set off for getting them..
Old 15th September 2008, 09:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

Q) about the boost: what is to be done with the MAP sensor ?
The RD Ecu comes with a built in map sensor up to 2 bar of boost in its advanced version.

Q) but steel pipings or aluminium?
Aluminum if you have access to it but steel will also do.

Q) cooling system: oil cooled or water cooled.. which would be reliable?
watercooled would be the ideal match

Q) intercooler: front mount.. but any other way with out compromising my A/c.. i thought of top mount by changing my hood to a custom made one..
A/C is one compromise for sure on the esteem wether you do a top or a front mount, but you could relocate the condensor to solve a bit of the issues.

Q) control valves: any brand or used one's are sufficient..?
At 6 PSI any reputable brand would do.

Q) so if i could get over these then i would set off for getting them..
Before you do any of this reccomend that you speak to a local tuner who can support you through this and has done this before.
Old 15th September 2008, 10:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

you have got the right man to help you here. good luck.
Aluminium pipes are the best. But who will bend those pipes? Steel is heavy, but easily fabricated and plated or coated.
I would suggest a FMIC. I won't suggest the scoop thing since i feel airflow won't be good enough for a big intercooler. Don't compromise with a tiny intercooler taken from another car.
Is the ECU that you already have support boost? Talk to RD.
Otherwise suggest emanage. great stuff.
I Guess Leela works from Coimby rt
Couple of things. Injectors and Cold plugs.
I think there is a link on the t-bhp front page on turbo upgrade. There are many valuable points in it.

Edit: I thought this thread is about some 'virutal turbo'. but this is a DIY thread. Not a Virtual biuld up.

Last edited by kutlee : 15th September 2008 at 10:37.
Old 15th September 2008, 15:00   #8

DIY project..

im doing this purely as a get to know project. i am framing whole ideas behind it n with some help from harrie's garage.

i'm getting access to aluminium pipings here but not to the extruded one's but the cast pipes.. i heard tat some people around cbe are bending the aluminium pipes but not sure yet..

about the ECU and parts, i'm planning to get down to bangalore n talk to rdkarthick...

i aint sure about water cooling systems because most of second hand turbo's are oil cooled.. need some more help on how to do this..

i thought of getting HKS iridium plugs and just working on injector sizings.. so any suggestions would help me a lot..
Old 15th September 2008, 17:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i thought of getting HKS iridium plugs and just working on injector sizings.. so any suggestions would help me a lot..
iridiums may not be cold plugs.
Old 19th September 2008, 16:55   #10

setting on to a start.

regarding ecm. gonna get a 1.5bar map inbuilt ecm from rd..

about turbo.. still trying for a gt20

front mount . scorpio's intercooler.

aluminum pipings and si hoses..

hks bov

still working with injector sizings and plugs.. any other ideas or suggestions..??

Note from Mod : Please use proper punctuation and capitalization in your posts.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2008 at 21:55. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 21st September 2008, 11:00   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Didn't you pick up a VI-21 already?
Old 21st September 2008, 23:40   #12

mclaren1885, it seems you get a lot of wrong informations. i just had a look on it and it was just bruised like your's and so i dint pick it for me. Till now i am in search of a turbo alone and not the whole kit.. i have just picked up turbo ECM from rd and let me know if your selling your gt20 seperately. i would welcome any other sugesstions regarding the build.
Old 26th September 2008, 11:40   #13
BHPian

stryder - Good going. You would'nt need injector upgrades yet... You will know when you need to
Old 10th November 2008, 16:08   #14
BHPian

Turbocharging an esteem - which turbo for street setup?

Hi Guys,

I and a friend have an esteem each (one mpfi and one carb) and we are planning to turbocharge both of them. We plan to take the DIY route and get most of the things done ourselves, except for those tasks which need specialized tools(which we would get done from a friendly neighborhood MASS )

We are currently in the planning stage and are a bit confused what turbo we should be using - whether a T20 or T25(new preferably) , or some turbo off some Indian turbo diesel car from the junkyard.

Also we're planning to get a G-Tech Pro for testing the cars - how accurate is the G-Tech ?

The end result should be something that's very reliable and drivable too(need not be the fastest car to the garage!), ideally the boost should come around 2000 - 2500 rpm and stay till maybe 5.5 - 6k rpm.

Please do give feedback/comments on what size turbo I should be using, do give other feedback/comments too.

Thanks Guys,

Amit .

P.S: About the carb esteem it belongs to me, and yes I'd like to keep it that way - sounds challenging and fun - plus saves me the cost of getting a new head and ECM and probably new fuel tank with pump and doing all the wiring!

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 10th November 2008 at 16:13.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

techn0l0gist:i believe fellow bhpian "stryder" is also in the process of DIY turbo on his esteem. i guess he 'll be able to help you to some extent.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-build-up.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks