Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 20:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Sorry Guys , i confused ABS with EBD. My Mistake .
Thanks for pointing it out.
Hey abhinav, no sorry pal, we are all here to learn and know things, great to see you taking in that great spirit. cheers: Being in team BHP we can learn lots of things. I am a newbie. Yet to learn loads from all you seniors. Am i right fellow BHPIANS???
Old 29th September 2008, 21:56   #17
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

In all probabilities the boost pipe has a leak. It may not be visible to the naked eye but any leak in the boost line will cause the symptoms you face. Maybe the couplers have got slightly out of alignment causing a minuscule leak.

Viper
how easy or difficult is it to check? I've been thinking,maybe this is a problem with me too, but have managed to convince myself that everything is fine. if it is not a risky proposition, I could get it checked at maruti service masters. if there is a chance of trouble, I'd rather not, because right now, I'm enjoying everything about this car.

Old 29th September 2008, 22:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
how easy or difficult is it to check? I've been thinking,maybe this is a problem with me too, but have managed to convince myself that everything is fine. if it is not a risky proposition, I could get it checked at maruti service masters. if there is a chance of trouble, I'd rather not, because right now, I'm enjoying everything about this car.
Hey ripper, you too have prob with your DDIS? I tried your theory of 100 @ 2200 rpm. Its fine there. But the pick up is too low i feel. Taking its own time to rev up. Was not getting that real confidence for an overtake. Feels like my car has been . Feel so bad. You understand na, how you feel when your most beloved car acts like this and you are not able to give her the right care.
Old 30th September 2008, 08:47   #19
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Hey ripper, you too have prob with your DDIS? I tried your theory of 100 @ 2200 rpm. Its fine there. But the pick up is too low i feel. Taking its own time to rev up. Was not getting that real confidence for an overtake. Feels like my car has been . Feel so bad. You understand na, how you feel when your most beloved car acts like this and you are not able to give her the right care.
not really, the car is just as fast as before, just that the power delivery characteristics have changed. pick up is fine, I'm missing that surge at 2000rpm, thats all.

Old 30th September 2008, 08:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
not really, the car is just as fast as before, just that the power delivery characteristics have changed. pick up is fine, I'm missing that surge at 2000rpm, thats all.
I was also feeling that the sudden pull after 2000 rpm is missing, after I have driven 20-25K in my VDi. I even reported this during my 30K service. But they said it is working fine. What I feel is, we have become used to the turbo surge and also, now we are able to overcome the turbolag from the experience by using the right foot more judicially.
Old 30th September 2008, 12:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hey ripper, I went to Popular MASS and got it checked again this morning. But they say it is fine with the turbo and no leak in intercooler. I am really in my own doubts now. How can this be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
I was also feeling that the sudden pull after 2000 rpm is missing, after I have driven 20-25K in my VDi. I even reported this during my 30K service. But they said it is working fine. What I feel is, we have become used to the turbo surge and also, now we are able to overcome the turbolag from the experience by using the right foot more judicially.
hey abhilash, after going through yours and rippers experience, Is this common for all DDIS or is it that we are getting used to that and not feeling the difference??
Old 1st October 2008, 06:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

While it is true that you do get used to the turbo surge, it would still be noticeable in the lower gears, especially if you put pedal to metal(or floormat, to be precise ).

At the next service, ask them to check the accelerator pedal(I do not call it throttle as diesel has no throttle) position sensor - ask them to just clean and reconnect the couplers. If the pedal position is not correctly sensed by the engine, it may not apply the optimum map is what I think. May cause you to miss the surge.

All this is assuming that a leak is not the culprit. Why don't you ask MASS to check if there are any error codes in the ECU? Highly unlikely, but give it a try.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Since MASS has found no issues, get it driven another Bhpian, (Ripper?) and find out what he thinks. That should give you some lead.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:39   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Hey ripper, I went to Popular MASS and got it checked again this morning. But they say it is fine with the turbo and no leak in intercooler. I am really in my own doubts now. How can this be?

Hi,

Try and connect a Turbo boost guage and see if the car is boosting. If not its definitely a leak in the plumbing. And I was not referring to a leak in the cooler but the joints which are held in place by the silicon couplers.

Just noticed that you are in Bangalore take the car to Psycho he should be able to diagnose the fault and solve it for you.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 1st October 2008 at 10:40.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:32   #25
Team-BHP Support

To check turbo just connect the diagnostic module, it will show all the readings. So get to a workshop which has a scanner for Swift D and ask them to run all the checks.
Old 1st October 2008, 11:32   #26
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
I thought of that, and tested it. I let the car drop out of the powerband in 3rd gear, let the revs go down to 1200. then floored the accelerator. the car just picked up and went, right from that rpm.(maybe because of the pete's box)

when my car was new(even with the Tuning box), there would be massive turbo lag below 2000, then I would get all the torque dumped onto the wheels at 2000rpm. if I kept the accelerator floored, the boost would tail off from 2400, and be totally gone by 3500.

Now,after the running in, if I floor it at 1200rpm, it picks up, and keeps accelerating all the way till 4000 and beyond, by which time I upshift, and the car is doing some scary speeds

in all, the car is much much more driveable, more easy to point and shoot, and I'm still fastest off the lights by miles, just that the kick at 2000rpm is gone, instead I get a very smooth and persuasive shove that builds exponentially with the rpm.

@abhilash- maybe we should TD each others cars to see what VDi does after running around 20k. let me know if you're interested.

@viper- thanks for the advice

@srikant- when you say the pick up is bad- do you mean the pick up is bad in the powerband itself? that is 2000-3500?

Could some one tell us how a turbo changes as its run-in/ages? Google has been unhelpful.

Last edited by rippergeo : 1st October 2008 at 11:36.

Old 1st October 2008, 21:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
While it is true that you do get used to the turbo surge, it would still be noticeable in the lower gears, especially if you put pedal to metal(or floormat, to be precise ).

At the next service, ask them to check the accelerator pedal(I do not call it throttle as diesel has no throttle) position sensor - ask them to just clean and reconnect the couplers. If the pedal position is not correctly sensed by the engine, it may not apply the optimum map is what I think. May cause you to miss the surge.

All this is assuming that a leak is not the culprit. Why don't you ask MASS to check if there are any error codes in the ECU? Highly unlikely, but give it a try.
Point noted pal, shall try to check for error codes from ECU. Well i am new to trichur and don know much of places here. So have to check for the right MASS where i can get it done in Trichur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Since MASS has found no issues, get it driven another Bhpian, (Ripper?) and find out what he thinks. That should give you some lead.
Thats a nice suggestion kutlee, what plans ripper??

Quote:
Hi,

Try and connect a Turbo boost guage and see if the car is boosting. If not its definitely a leak in the plumbing. And I was not referring to a leak in the cooler but the joints which are held in place by the silicon couplers.

Just noticed that you are in Bangalore take the car to Psycho he should be able to diagnose the fault and solve it for you.

Viper
Thanks Viper, right now i am in Trichur and my go to Bangalore only by November mid week. If the problem is not sorted out by then, i shall contact Psycho, BTW got Psycho's phone no?? and details please?? i am new on Team BHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
To check turbo just connect the diagnostic module, it will show all the readings. So get to a workshop which has a scanner for Swift D and ask them to run all the checks.
Thanks Jaggu, point noted, I ll get it done soon.

Quote:
I thought of that, and tested it. I let the car drop out of the powerband in 3rd gear, let the revs go down to 1200. then floored the accelerator. the car just picked up and went, right from that rpm.(maybe because of the pete's box)

when my car was new(even with the Tuning box), there would be massive turbo lag below 2000, then I would get all the torque dumped onto the wheels at 2000rpm. if I kept the accelerator floored, the boost would tail off from 2400, and be totally gone by 3500.

Now,after the running in, if I floor it at 1200rpm, it picks up, and keeps accelerating all the way till 4000 and beyond, by which time I upshift, and the car is doing some scary speeds

in all, the car is much much more driveable, more easy to point and shoot, and I'm still fastest off the lights by miles, just that the kick at 2000rpm is gone, instead I get a very smooth and persuasive shove that builds exponentially with the rpm.

@abhilash- maybe we should TD each others cars to see what VDi does after running around 20k. let me know if you're interested.

@viper- thanks for the advice

@srikant- when you say the pick up is bad- do you mean the pick up is bad in the powerband itself? that is 2000-3500?

Could some one tell us how a turbo changes as its run-in/ages? Google has been unhelpful.
Enjoy PETES pal, pick up seems ok in 2000-2500 power band. The initial is what is bothering me, may be i should try driving some other DDIS just to get the heck of it and feel if there is any difference. My neighbour has bought a new VDI just last month, but dont want to drive it as it is still in its running in period.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:29   #28
BHPian

@srikant-did you get the scanning done. This would be a good idea and should give you a clear indication of the problem.
Old 2nd October 2008, 09:54   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Point noted pal, shall try to check for error codes from ECU. Well i am new to trichur and don know much of places here. So have to check for the right MASS where i can get it done in Trichur.

Hi,

I doubt you have any trouble codes else a check light would have shown up. Also I don't think a scan tool will show any leakages or if the turbo is spooling unless it shows boost.

Buddy do one thing go to any garage including MASS ask them to do the following in your presence even if they say have already chkd before. Disconnect all plumbing pipes from their couplers and have them refitted and tightened you never know your problem may be solved. I had a similar issue in my Honda and it was a miniscule leak from the coupler clip which came loose under high boost. Took me 30 mins to identify the culprit and 2 mins to solve.

Viper
Old 2nd October 2008, 10:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

In all probabilities the boost pipe has a leak. It may not be visible to the naked eye but any leak in the boost line will cause the symptoms you face.
There is a vacuum actuator pipe. If that has cracked or there is a leak, the boost may not be as expected and all tests will be normal.

Just change the vacuum hose and things will be fine again.

Quote:
Hi,

Also I don't think a scan tool will show any leakages or if the turbo is spooling unless it shows boost.
Took me 30 mins to identify the culprit and 2 mins to solve.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks