Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2008, 13:16   #1
BHPian

Swift DDIS crash, Prob with turbo??

I am new to Team BHP, seek some advice from BHPIANS.I had my first crash in my SWIFT VDI 2 weeks back on my way to Bangalore From Trichur, at Dharmapuri, at 6.30am when a milk man on his TVS just came on to the highway and i applied my breaks with all my might and the tyres got locked . . .and after a screeching halt from 120 after hitting a rock kinda thing that had formed due to dried tar on the side of the road, and the car just ran over it and front axle was on the rock. Lucky guy he escaped (lucky me), and my swift lying with right mud guard all damaged and scratched bumper by hitting the rock. I got all the denting and repainting done, that takes care of the cosmetic part of it.

But since then i am not feeling that surge when the turbo activates (or the turbo never actuates, i don know) dont feel like the turbo is gettin actuated. But there is no visible damage. I checked the engine bay and got it looked by a mechanic but he says nothing is visible. I am worried, what might be the problem?

The mileage seems same, i got 22 kmpl with 100%AC on my return drive to Kerala after the incident. I went to the MASS MOTOWINGS today but the they were searching for the turbo here and there i felt it not safe to give it to them n returned back home. I dont want ignorant people learning new things from my car and especially to work on parts like turbo and intercooler. The car has run 23k and till this crash i used to enjoy flooring the pedal to get the turbo surge, but instantly after the crash i noticed this. I got the air filter changed after reaching bangalore as i could not change it at 20k service as MASS in trichur did not have stock of air filter.

I am worried where to get this thing checked out. Cant find a reliable MASS in Trichur. Had bad experience with Sitaram and Motowings. More over they dont allow me into the workshop with the car and i am scared to give it to ignorant hands.

Anybody know a good mechanic in and around Trichur where i can get this checked up?? It would be great help if somebody could share details with me.
Old 28th September 2008, 15:30   #2
BHPian

Hi srikant,

Good that you and the milk man is safe.

I don't have much idea about the turbo thing which you were talking about. May be the seniors in the forum can help you. I have a question, does your swift diesel has ABS....i guess if you have had ABS most probably you would not have ended up with this crash.

Finding a good service station is a difficult task and i too faced this problem in chennai and finally i found a good place(MASS) to service my car. I am sorry i could not help you on this.
Old 28th September 2008, 15:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

The ABS swift would not lock wheels BUT the braking distance does increase. That has been the feedback from people who have driven both versions. In which case the milkman may have got hurt.
Old 28th September 2008, 18:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Anybody know a good mechanic in and around Trichur where i can get this checked up?? It would be great help if somebody could share details with me.
Srikant, If you are still searching for a garage.Get the car checked at Skillmech at paravatanni / kalathode,located on the main road itself.Meet Mr.Paul.They are a bunch skilled people.
Old 28th September 2008, 19:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi srikant,

Good that you and the milk man is safe.

I don't have much idea about the turbo thing which you were talking about. May be the seniors in the forum can help you. I have a question, does your swift diesel has ABS....i guess if you have had ABS most probably you would not have ended up with this crash.

Finding a good service station is a difficult task and i too faced this problem in chennai and finally i found a good place(MASS) to service my car. I am sorry i could not help you on this.
No pal I dont have an ABS and really really miss it !! and really bad i cant get an after market ABS !!

Quote:
Ricky_63 The ABS swift would not lock wheels BUT the braking distance does increase. That has been the feedback from people who have driven both versions. In which case the milkman may have got hurt.
Dont understand why these people don take care while driving. Just get on to the higway without even checking if any vehicle is coming. But ABS would definitely have made a difference pal, as i had the distance but once the tyres got locked, it just went off control and skidded all the distance.

Quote:
Srikant, If you are still searching for a garage.Get the car checked at Skillmech at paravatanni / kalathode,located on the main road itself.Meet Mr.Paul.They are a bunch skilled people.
Thanks pal, I am worried because, many mechanics are not used to Swift diesel setup as its still new for repairs in the market and many people dont have problems with it. However i ll check up with SKILLMECH.
Old 28th September 2008, 20:02   #6
BHPian

Thanks to that rock on which i hit else the car would never have stopped and i would have hit the compound next to that, and created more damage (both car and compound).
Old 28th September 2008, 22:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The ABS swift would not lock wheels BUT the braking distance does increase. That has been the feedback from people who have driven both versions. In which case the milkman may have got hurt.

The braking distance would decrease in case of the ABS ( Not increase )

Atleast that's what the companies say.
Old 28th September 2008, 22:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the stopping distance shorter with ABS?

No! From early commercials, it may have looked like you could stop on a dime. That instantaneous stop is not realistic. When braking on dry or wet roads your stopping distance will be about the same as with conventional brakes.

You should allow for a longer stopping distance with ABS than for conventional brakes when driving on gravel, slush, and snow. This is because the rotating tire will stay on top of this low traction road surface covering, and effectively "float" on this boundary layer.

A non ABS braked vehicle can lock its tires and create a snow plow effect in front of the tires which helps slow the vehicle. These locked tires can often find more traction below this boundary layer.
Anti-Lock Brakes?
Old 28th September 2008, 22:35   #9
Team-BHP Support

Nobody says that Abhinav. ABS ain't meant to decrease the breaking distance. On the contrary, it may increase depending on the ambient conditions.

Read the ABS discussion for more gyaan.
Old 28th September 2008, 22:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I have driven ABS cars and feel more confident in it pal. These breaks on non ABS swift creates no confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Nobody says that Abhinav. ABS ain't meant to decrease the breaking distance. On the contrary, it may increase depending on the ambient conditions.

I go with you on that pal.
Old 29th September 2008, 09:09   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
But since then i am not feeling that surge when the turbo activates (or the turbo never actuates, i don know) dont feel like the turbo is gettin actuated. But there is no visible damage. I checked the engine bay and got it looked by a mechanic but he says nothing is visible. I am worried, what might be the problem?

Hi,

In all probabilities the boost pipe has a leak. It may not be visible to the naked eye but any leak in the boost line will cause the symptoms you face. Maybe the couplers have got slightly out of alignment causing a minuscule leak.

Viper
Old 29th September 2008, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post

I guess the link given by greenhorn, just after your post would have dispelled your doubts.

Cheers
Old 29th September 2008, 09:45   #13
BHPian

Regarding the apparent lack of turbo boost - do get your air filter cleaned before looking at the other, more serious possibilities. I have personally seen the extreme drop in pick up on a Swift DDIs with a dirty air filter. It's possible your filter is simply choked.
Old 29th September 2008, 17:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

In all probabilities the boost pipe has a leak. It may not be visible to the naked eye but any leak in the boost line will cause the symptoms you face. Maybe the couplers have got slightly out of alignment causing a minuscule leak.

Viper
Thanks viper, i too feel that, but have to find a person who can check it with thorough knowledge about it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Regarding the apparent lack of turbo boost - do get your air filter cleaned before looking at the other, more serious possibilities. I have personally seen the extreme drop in pick up on a Swift DDIs with a dirty air filter. It's possible your filter is simply choked.
Thanks swale, but i got the air filter replaced to a new one after the crash. Prob still persists.

Will keep you all updated. I am tryin to find a nice place to get it checked up first.
Old 29th September 2008, 19:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I guess the link given by greenhorn, just after your post would have dispelled your doubts.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Sorry Guys , i confused ABS with EBD. My Mistake .
Thanks for pointing it out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks