Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 22:11   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car won't budge - rear brakes jammed/stuck (Esteem)

Its been discussed earlier here. All you need to do is whack the drums. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...uple-days.html (Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !)
Old 16th April 2019, 00:49   #62
BHPian

Re: Car won't budge - rear brakes jammed/stuck (Esteem)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post

Lastly, does it sound like the mechanic is trying to pull a fast one?
Remove the wheel (jack up the car and place the wheel beneath). Screw 2 diagonally opposite lug nuts in and you can place a lever resting diagonally on those lug nuts. Disengage the handbrake and with a mallet try to release the drum brakes by hitting on the end of the lever gently so that the wheels rotate. Do this for each of the rear wheel. This would most probaby get the wheels turning. It's better to still remove the hub cover and check the inside for slave cylinder issues.

If it doesn't budge, do not try to hammer hard. Remove the rear wheel hub and sort it out. If you're not too sure, get some other FNG guy to come to your place and do it for you. Definitely doesnt need a truck or towing.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 16th April 2019 at 00:55.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 11:44   #63
BHPian

Re: Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !

I can attest that this method works. The rear right wheel of my Punto locked after 10 days of not being in use. Called my SA at Fiat and he recommended the same technique with addition being that after hitting with hammer, if still not loose, kick the Tyre a few times on all sides. Also, important thing to remember is that handbrake has to be disengaged.

I did all of above and then gently took car back and forth and the brake unlocked.

As per SA, depending on severity, you may have to do the whole thing a few times. I had to do it twice for brake to unlock.

There were definitely quite a few people in my Soceity wondering why I was doing this.
Old 19th February 2020, 09:57   #64
BHPian

Something similar happened for my inlaw's Ford Ecosport last night. I moved the car out of the garage and it hit a sharp tile jutting out and the passenger side rear tire burst with a tear on the side wall.

I got to work and removing the spare wheel was a pain in the ass. The key they provided to remove one of the lugnuts wouldn't fit because it had a plastic cladding that prevented it from reaching the nut. After about 10 minutes of trying I was able to remove the spare wheel. And that is not even the most painful part.

The wheel that got punctured wouldn't come off the car. I tried some youtube videos, the techniques mentioned in this forum, but nothing worked. It just didn't move. After an hour of trying, I called Ford roadside assistance. Their service person couldn't remove it either. We then thought that there could be another lugnut under the blue oval in the middle, but no. Finally the service guy thought of an idea and started rolling the spare wheel and hitting the stuck wheel. After about 10 minutes of this, it finally showed signs of moving. And then it was a breeze. We removed the punctured wheel, cleaned the wheel mount and fixed the spare wheel in place.

So, in case you run into this problem, roll the spare wheel and hit the stuck wheel. You may have to lower the jack a little bit so that the stuck wheel is just about half an inch above ground.
sramanat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:51   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramanat View Post
So, in case you run into this problem, roll the spare wheel and hit the stuck wheel. You may have to lower the jack a little bit so that the stuck wheel is just about half an inch above ground.
Good idea. We normally kick the tyre to get it loose enough to take it out. Using the spare tyre itself makes this a little more easier - lesser impact to one's foot, and more force applied through the rubber of the spare tyre - that is applied not too hard also.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 20:26   #66
Senior - BHPian

If I face the problem of Wheel not coming off after jacking up, I loosen the Wheel Nuts half way, lower and remove the jack, and drive 2-3 feets slowly which frees the "Stuck" Wheel.

I did the above process for our Elite i20 on 04-02-2020 when I had to replace the RR Wheel due to puncture and portable air pump was unable to fill air.

Later I came to know the reason behind this puncture when I had to replaced the Tyre as the sidewall had got badly damaged as I drove the car for unknown Kms and the culprit was an open end 12-13 spanner had drilled a hole in the Tyre and it went inside completely after the car got punctured by that spanner.
Old 12th January 2021, 19:56   #67
BHPian

Sorry to bump up this old message.

I park in a basement garage, which has a slightly sloped (towards the garage door) flooring to enable easy water runoff.
I've been parking our cars, downhill, with the parking brake disengaged, in reverse gear with a wooden block at the wheel to prevent untoward movement due to gear slippage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryshnon View Post
I remember having read somewhere that leaving the vehicle on reverse gear causes damage to the gearbox over time.
If you know any details, please share if engaging the reverse gear over prolonged periods causes damage.

Most Viewed