Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:37   #1
BHPian

Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !

Something weird happened yesterday. Last week after a car wash at home, I parked my car in the parking slot and generously sprayed the wheels/alloys with running water from a hose. Yesterday in the evening, as I was about to take the car out, I engaged first gear and tried to move forward, the car simply refused to budge. It jerked as if hand brake was engaged. I check the hand brake, it was already released. I tried to reverse, it jolted again.

I got down to make sure nothing was obstructing the wheels, everything was clear. I engaged first gear and revved hard, the car very slowly moved but felt as if the wheels were locked. I engaged and released the hand brake a couple of times, it seems that the hand brake might have got jammed. So I reversed and revved hard again, again it painfully moved back slowly. I though something was seriously wrong and got down to inspect the tires again. I saw that the rear right wheel was jammed because of which it was being dragged, it was not rotating.

I jacked up the car and removed the wheel, and found that the wheel drum was completely locked/jammed, it was not moving. Below is a picture for reference.

Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !-pic12.jpg

I tried to exert some force with the spanner but it refused to budge. Fearing that I might break something, I went out looking for a mechanic, but being a holiday, not one mechanic was to be found. So I decided to give our own Maruti helpline service a shot. Surprisingly, their service was available and said a technician would be calling soon to confirm the problem. 5 mins later I get a call from the on-road service mechanic asking me the nature of the problem, I explained to him about the scenario. He calmly said not to worry and advised me of a solution over the phone. He said “aap drum pe chot maaro”, in other words, strike the wheel drum repeatedly with a hammer gently. He explained that since I had sprayed water over the wheels, the “plates” got stuck after the water dried and after hitting the drum a couple of times, it will become free. I was told to strike here…

Rear wheel jammed after car stationary for a couple of days !-pic121.jpg

I asked him is it safe to do so, he said completely safe and to callback on his number after I have tried it. So very reluctantly and apprehensive of the outcome, I started to the strike the spots gently with the spanner. After a couple of tries, still it was not moving. Then I started again with a little more force, and after about 15-20 hits, viola the drum became free. I rotated the drum several times, still it felt as if it was not rotating freely, but atleast it was moving. I put back the tire and took out the car for a short drive, everything felt normal.

Now that I come to think of it, it might have happened once before last year. When I tried to take the car out after it was stationary for a week, it felt as if the same wheel was locked, but that was just for a second, there was a “khat” sound and the wheel became free. I let that incident go thinking that it might have been something usual. Now since it has happened again and this time it was more severe, it has got me worried. The maruti technician said that its normal and might happen sometimes, nothing to be worried about. I asked him do I need to take any kind of precaution so that it does not happen in the future, he said none.

So the question is, is it really normal or should I do something about it ?

Last edited by Shakensoul : 3rd October 2008 at 19:40.
Shakensoul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

while i have never had the problem you faced due to excessive washing with water, i do get that jammed effect when the car is left stationary for a few days..but in such cases i have noticed that if you were to take the car in reverse from stationary then you will not get that grinding sound but the same happens when u go forward from stationary ( after a few days )
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

It sounds like you have a lot of rust, dirt and corrosion in your rear brake drums. Washing supplied water to set the "concrete". The water + crud glued your brake pad to the drum, stopping the rotation. No, it is not normal, it is a malfunction but a common one. You should have a mech look at the rear brakes, clean them and check them else it will happen again likely as not. Do not be surprised if you need to replace the brake pads (leathers).
Old 3rd October 2008, 19:55   #4
BHPian

Ok, I'll have them checked tommorow when I take it for servicing.
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wheel cylinder might be jammed. Please check.
Old 3rd October 2008, 20:49   #6
Senior - BHPian

Get the brake cylinder check for rust and free movement, might need a change.
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:49   #7
BHPian

Here is a DIY guide

http://www.focushacks.com/printable.php?modid=48
Old 6th October 2008, 17:58   #8
BHPian

Got both the rear wheels drums opened, cleaned the entire assembly with petrol and sprayed WD40 generously. The brake pads looked fine.

Thanks everyone for their inputs.
Old 6th October 2008, 18:38   #9
BANNED

This happened to my wagR several months back - just after its first (1 month) service.

The vehicle was picked and dropped back by the M.A.S.S people, and we had left it idle for 7 days or so. When I tried to take it out, it would move only with some effort; got out and saw that the bricks (bricks are laid on the ground where it is parked) were out of alignment. Realised that the rear wheels were jammed.

Called the M.A.S.S., who came in half an hour or so, jacked up the vehicle, took out the wheels and simply tapped the drum (I was not there when this happened) and it got moving again. They said the problem was because we engaged the hand brake while the wheels were hot AND left it for that many days. So, while parking at home (only), make it a point not to engage hand brake. It is a level ground there, and put it on reverse gear.
Old 6th October 2008, 22:19   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Yes... very common!...

come from a long drive... go into a water logged area/ some pool of water... park the car with the hand brake engaged.

And next morning the rear wheels would be stuck!.... but in my case it moved everytime! ... after the first resistance to move, i can always feel something has been released.... maybe b'coz I always have to reverse the car first when starting.
Old 31st October 2008, 07:37   #11
BHPian

Fiesta Rear Wheels Gets jammed.

My neighbour owns a 2006 Ford Fiesta diesel. Poor chap has been facing a peculiar problem lately. He leaves the car idle on weekends since he goes to his native place in the train (dont ask me why). When he returns back on monday the car refuses to budge. Both the rear wheel gets stuck. This gremlin has been bugging him for the past few weeks. Twice the sevice guys from Ford had attended his breakdown call.

First time they diagnose it as a stuck parking Brake cable. And according to them, it was lubricated, but issue still persists. Second time they said it was the owners fault - "since he had washed the vehicle and without drying the wheels the vehicle was kept idle so it got jammed "- And was charged about 1000 Rs for cleaning the rear brake .

Wow! Ford surely doesnt design cars that arent meant to be washed.

But my innocent neighbour believed every word he said and stopped washing his car. Problem solved? Not quite. Last day the problem showed up again.
Can anyone throw light on what could be the issue.
sureshkishore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2008, 08:48   #12
Team-BHP Support

How about he parks in gear when he travels for long periods. Get the entire rear brake system lubricated during the next service
Old 31st October 2008, 08:51   #13
BHPian

I guess this was discussed earlier as well (and not long ago). Its not uncommon in rains for the wheels to get stuck. Generally a few mild hits of a hammer would do the trick. But there are more gentle ways as well mentioned in this section.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

ajmat's suggestion is the best, sticking pads are very common especially parked after a pressure wash/heavy rain drives. Release the hand brakes and slowly move the car to front and back and the brakes should budge.

All the car needs is a good brake cleaning and servicing, along with some lubrication.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

But, is it something specific to this car that it happens a lot ? Has to happened to any others (make or model) ?

Most Viewed