Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2008, 18:27   #16
BHPian

Okay guys, looks like it was not as simple as just fitting the compressor and bingo the cooling starts. I went to one of the A/c experts on Convent Street behind M.G Road here. He said, I cant just fill up the gas. The whole channel has to be checked, and if there is some debris or anything from the old defective compressor in the channel, it could damage the new compressor too and the whole thing will take a day.

I had taken a leave from work just to get this done and I told him, do whatever you want, just start the cooling today. The work went on till 8 in the night, it started at 10 am. All day I was standing besides the car, trying to understand what all he was doing.

He took out the condenser, and a certain bottle from besides it in the car (it had some oil in it). He went into the dashboard through the glove box and removed something called as a Heating coil. Also the pipes containing the gas etc were removed. Everything was thoroughly cleaned and fitted back into the car.

The car was then again filled with Nitrogen to check if there was indeed any reduction in pressure. The leaks were also manually checked by the wet cloth and bubbles were looked for. There was no leakage at the end of it, and the gas was filled in.

He asked me to start the engine as he started to fill the a/c gas in the channel. I do not remember at what pressure it was out, since it was almost 8 and I was in no mood to chat with anyone. The car is freezing cold now and it gives some serious competition to my Fiesta.

When the car was started first time after fitting the whole thing, the MPFI check light was continuously on and remained on tillI reached home. Initially I thought, there was something wrong in the car, some loose wire. But it vanished when I restarted the engine after reaching home. My hand almost had a frost bite that night, its chilling.

I also noticed the a/c is taking a huge toll on the engine performance as compared to before. I am not sure it is really like that, since its almost 10 months since I drove it with the a/c on so probably it is fine. The car drives differently from wha it used to be. Now there is a sudden loss of power (which is almost like 50%) when the compressor is switched on, and then it gives a sudden rush of power at a particular rpm (I dont know how much since Matizes never had Tachos) and it continues for a while as you accelerate. This is just like a turbo diesel.

Can anyone tell me what the reason for this could be? This happens only when A/c is on. Otherwise it runs like a nice old 2000 Matiz devoid of parents (read service stations) all around town. Is it a timing problem or what.

Also there is a lot of vibration from the engine bay and squeaks too which I have never heard before. I want to know what kind of tweaks does it need. What should I tell the mechanic to make it smoother?

Thanks for any suggestions/tips..
Old 11th November 2008, 22:46   #17
BANNED

Are the pulley sizes on the replacement compressor and the old compressor the same size ?

Since you have posted that the new compressor cools to the point of having a frost bite , I think the pulley sizes might be wrong .
Old 18th November 2008, 13:18   #18
BHPian

Hi,

a quick question? Your compressor says that the gas to be used is R12. According to the information I got from mechs all over from Kolkata and Bangalore is that R12 is banned and it has been over a year that the gas supply has stopped.

When I was in Kolkata, they said that a similar gas was available but was not recommended if I intended to keep the car as it would totally $crew up the compressor. I could use it only if I wanted to sell the car within a week's timeframe.

What gas have you used and how did you manage to get R12?

Cheers
Shrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Okay guys, looks like it was not as simple as just fitting the compressor and bingo the cooling starts. I went to one of the A/c experts on Convent Street behind M.G Road here. He said, I cant just fill up the gas. The whole channel has to be checked, and if there is some debris or anything from the old defective compressor in the channel, it could damage the new compressor too and the whole thing will take a day.

I had taken a leave from work just to get this done and I told him, do whatever you want, just start the cooling today. The work went on till 8 in the night, it started at 10 am. All day I was standing besides the car, trying to understand what all he was doing.

He took out the condenser, and a certain bottle from besides it in the car (it had some oil in it). He went into the dashboard through the glove box and removed something called as a Heating coil. Also the pipes containing the gas etc were removed. Everything was thoroughly cleaned and fitted back into the car.

The car was then again filled with Nitrogen to check if there was indeed any reduction in pressure. The leaks were also manually checked by the wet cloth and bubbles were looked for. There was no leakage at the end of it, and the gas was filled in.

He asked me to start the engine as he started to fill the a/c gas in the channel. I do not remember at what pressure it was out, since it was almost 8 and I was in no mood to chat with anyone. The car is freezing cold now and it gives some serious competition to my Fiesta.

When the car was started first time after fitting the whole thing, the MPFI check light was continuously on and remained on tillI reached home. Initially I thought, there was something wrong in the car, some loose wire. But it vanished when I restarted the engine after reaching home. My hand almost had a frost bite that night, its chilling.

I also noticed the a/c is taking a huge toll on the engine performance as compared to before. I am not sure it is really like that, since its almost 10 months since I drove it with the a/c on so probably it is fine. The car drives differently from wha it used to be. Now there is a sudden loss of power (which is almost like 50%) when the compressor is switched on, and then it gives a sudden rush of power at a particular rpm (I dont know how much since Matizes never had Tachos) and it continues for a while as you accelerate. This is just like a turbo diesel.

Can anyone tell me what the reason for this could be? This happens only when A/c is on. Otherwise it runs like a nice old 2000 Matiz devoid of parents (read service stations) all around town. Is it a timing problem or what.

Also there is a lot of vibration from the engine bay and squeaks too which I have never heard before. I want to know what kind of tweaks does it need. What should I tell the mechanic to make it smoother?

Thanks for any suggestions/tips..
Old 18th November 2008, 14:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
According to the information I got from mechs all over from Kolkata and Bangalore is that R12 is banned and it has been over a year that the gas supply has stopped.
I do not remember what it is called. But there are only 2 types of gases used, one for older cars and other for newer cars.

And both the gases are easily available in Delhi as of now.
Old 18th November 2008, 15:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

@ssjr - The gas itself is not banned. What has been banned is that no device should use it from the ban date, effectively banning the gas itself. R12 is easily available in Bangalore also. But this being a pre-ban item I guess it is still being made for older cars. All the newer cars I think use R-124A refrigerant gas
Old 18th November 2008, 15:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Hi,

a quick question? Your compressor says that the gas to be used is R12. According to the information I got from mechs all over from Kolkata and Bangalore is that R12 is banned and it has been over a year that the gas supply has stopped.

When I was in Kolkata, they said that a similar gas was available but was not recommended if I intended to keep the car as it would totally $crew up the compressor. I could use it only if I wanted to sell the car within a week's timeframe.

What gas have you used and how did you manage to get R12?

Cheers
Shrey
Yeah the R12 was banned from being used by any device manufactured after 2000 because of the ozone thing I believe. It is available with the guy who did my A/c. In fact, he did not mention anything like this. Gas is not banned but the devices that will use this gas are banned. Of course, 2 stroke Yams still run don't they.
Old 18th November 2008, 15:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
Are the pulley sizes on the replacement compressor and the old compressor the same size ?

Since you have posted that the new compressor cools to the point of having a frost bite , I think the pulley sizes might be wrong .
I wonder how to check this. But I think I'll do this when I go to the A/c guy next time.

It cools too much and robs the engine of almost 50% power which sometimes even feels 90%.
Old 18th November 2008, 15:38   #23
Senior - BHPian

If you or your mechanic have the old compressor, it should be pretty straight forward to check. Just compare the sizes of both the pulleys.
Old 30th March 2015, 15:33   #24
BHPian

Re: Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz

Hi Team-bhpians, Bumping up this old thread- Actually in a fix after the compressor of my spark has gone kaput- Need help to Source the Delphi Compressor for the retrofittment- Please help. Im in Mumbai
Old 30th March 2015, 20:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Hi Team-bhpians, Bumping up this old thread- Actually in a fix after the compressor of my spark has gone kaput- Need help to Source the Delphi Compressor for the retrofittment- Please help. Im in Mumbai
I doubt you will get any R12 based AC parts. The best bet for you is to find a good AC mechanic, who will replace what ever parts are required for the newer refrigerant. The new one runs at higher pressure, so normally all the rubber pipes and the radiator along with compressor are changed. Metal piping and the internal heat exchanger (the one through which the fan blows) are ususally retained.

I tried a lot in my 2000 Esteem, but R12 parts were just not reliable. Ultimately I changed to the newer refrigerant.
Old 30th March 2015, 21:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your Spark should be running on R134A already. Just curious, what is the issue with genuine spares? I don't think Spark and Matiz shared compressors. Are you sure Delphi compressor works on Spark?
Old 31st March 2015, 12:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Your Spark should be running on R134A already. Just curious, what is the issue with genuine spares? I don't think Spark and Matiz shared compressors. Are you sure Delphi compressor works on Spark?
Yes Its the same compressor- Delphi make- currently not available in the market in Mumbai.

@Aroy- Mine is running R134A refrigerant. Howver the compressor is in short Supply. Service center quotes 22K!

Last edited by sudipt123 : 31st March 2015 at 12:48. Reason: Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 13:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Its the same compressor- Delphi make- currently not available in the market in Mumbai.

@Aroy- Mine is running R134A refrigerant. Howver the compressor is in short Supply. Service center quotes 22K!
Check with an AC technician if any Maruti Compressor will fit. In most cases the compressors are interchangeable, as they are rarely designed for one model only.

You can also check if a third party Sanden compressor will fit. They are available in various sizes, and you can always fit a slightly bigger one for better cooling.
http://www.sandenvikas.com/compressors.htm#fixed
http://intl2008.en.gasgoo.com/auto-p...s/1992325.html
http://intl2008.en.hisupplier.com/pr...M250-Mm13.html
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 13:29   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In Hyderabad, we have several car AC shops who specialize in automobile AC related works. Most FNGs here have a tie up with one of those shops and send their cars over there instead of keeping an AC expert for the complex works that may come once in a while. There should be similar shops in Mumbai too, who would know how to source these parts if they are available anywhere in India. I went this route in 2009 for my 1995 Zen and its still working like a charm.

Justdial.com lists one hit for Delphi AC parts. Check if they might be able to source the required part(s). Typically, the rates are much lower when sourced through the OEM channel instead of the service stations. Expect rates to be in the range of ~10k or so.

http://www.justdial.com/Mumbai/N-R-A...RGVscGhp_BZDET

Confirm with the FNG where you plan to get this work done if the above shop can be trusted with genuine parts. Even if they don't have first hand experience, they might have enough contacts to check if these guys are genuine.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 14:07   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
In Hyderabad, we have several car AC shops who specialize in automobile AC related works. Most FNGs here have a tie up with one of those shops and send their cars over there instead of keeping an AC expert for the complex works that may come once in a while. There should be similar shops in Mumbai too, who would know how to source these parts if they are available anywhere in India. I went this route in 2009 for my 1995 Zen and its still working like a charm.

Justdial.com lists one hit for Delphi AC parts. Check if they might be able to source the required part(s). Typically, the rates are much lower when sourced through the OEM channel instead of the service stations. Expect rates to be in the range of ~10k or so.

http://www.justdial.com/Mumbai/N-R-A...RGVscGhp_BZDET

Confirm with the FNG where you plan to get this work done if the above shop can be trusted with genuine parts. Even if they don't have first hand experience, they might have enough contacts to check if these guys are genuine.
Thanks for your help, a/c work is done by Unicool Auto- last time got the Compressor overhauled -due to similar issue- now he says, the compressor life is over- so need a replacement. He usually sources genuine oem parts through his contacts- but info received was Delphi A/C compressor for spark is not readily available

Received quote of 15K from KEETA KAR COOL, Worli- but requires 50% advance as it needs to be sourced from Delhi.

Nowdays you can source through amazon.in as well- but spark compressor not available.

Is 15K an OK price for brand new compressor -or should I go through the retrofittment route?

Most Viewed