Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2008, 16:17   #1
BHPian

Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz

Hi everyone,

About six months back, while driving my Matiz in the city I switched on the A/c which was being used fairly regularly till then. There was a sudden vibration from the car and I noticed it wasn't cooling at all. I initially thought there was some loose connection since there was no power drop when I switched it on and the compressor was simply not getting switched on. The next day i took it to my regular mechanic and he kept the car for a few days for repair.

The final outcome of this was that the A/C compressor of the car had a worn out washer and it simply cannot be fixed back. Even if it is fixed back, it might just give way in a day and the A/c will not be usable again. He promised to arrange for a salvaged compressor from Delhi or Mumbai and it has been 6 months since then, my car is without an A/c. Apart from being the most uncomfortable car to sit in due to the lack of the chiller, this car has a huge glass area and it becomes undrivable even in the most moderate weather in Pune.

Till date I have not been able to get this fixed and as the rush hour traffic is increasing day by day, I have started wondering if I should junk the car/ sell it or something or what. I am against selling it off since apart from the A/c all other parts are in top condition and the car is as reliable as ever even after running for more then 106000. It is a maintained car and I am in this dilemma of how to use it comfortably. Its my first car and I love it, had it just been for the A/c compressor my life would be far more comfortable.

Bhpians, any suggestions or anyone you all know who can get me 2nd hand compressor for a reasonable price. I would appreciate the effort and suggestions. Here is the car, everything perfect, just the compressor...huh Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz-dsc01712.jpg
Old 4th October 2008, 16:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

why dont u try retrofitting a compressor from a scrap cielo or another scrapped matiz? try chor bazaar in mumbai.. u can get ur car to mumbai and go find one. buy it, get it fitted and use it. very unreliable but if ur lucky it might get the job done

Last edited by frankmehta : 4th October 2008 at 16:24.
Old 4th October 2008, 17:16   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
why dont u try retrofitting a compressor from a scrap cielo or another scrapped matiz? try chor bazaar in mumbai.. u can get ur car to mumbai and go find one. buy it, get it fitted and use it. very unreliable but if ur lucky it might get the job done
I spoke to the mechanic after your post. He says the compressor has attached pulleys with the engine and only the matiz compressor can go into the bracket and nothing else, which I think is logical enough.

Chor bazaar is a good option but even if I come to Mumbai and I am able to find one, how do I judge if it will work and the price, whatever it may be is okay. Godd this sounds impossible. On the contrary, if I am able to find such a piece in Pune, I can ask the mechanic to see it immediately. I just hope to find someone breaking another old Matiz and he gives its compressor to me That'll be the best case scenario, which generally never happens.
Old 4th October 2008, 21:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Try calling up my Matiz mechanic - Mavis Auto, Wagle Estate, Thane (ex-Daewoo ASC) - 25828989, 9821159635 & 9323510150 (Sudhir)
Old 5th October 2008, 00:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

What kind of washer is it? If you get a great quality version of this washer, will your problems be solved?

If its rubber, I can make it for you if you want.
Old 5th October 2008, 11:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Try calling up my Matiz mechanic - Mavis Auto, Wagle Estate, Thane (ex-Daewoo ASC) - 25828989, 9821159635 & 9323510150 (Sudhir)
Thanks a lot really, I'll do that tomorrow(Monday) first thing in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
What kind of washer is it? If you get a great quality version of this washer, will your problems be solved?

If its rubber, I can make it for you if you want.
All I know about the washer is that, since it is worn out or something, the gas leaks out and it even has some model number. Basically, getting a new washer will not help as much as getting the compressor itself - that is what my mechanic has to say. I appreciate your help. I'll get some more information/details on the washer and the model and share it with you. Thanks AbhiJ

Last edited by abhi1309 : 5th October 2008 at 11:08.
Old 5th October 2008, 20:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

what make is the matiz AC? is it a standard ones like Subros? if it is then the AC manufacturer can help u
Old 5th October 2008, 20:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
All I know about the washer is that, since it is worn out or something, the gas leaks out and it even has some model number.
You are most welcome.

Just find out if getting the washer will solve your problem. If yes, I get it for you within a week. I however will required the EXACT size or the worn out sample.

Best of Luck
Old 6th October 2008, 00:01   #9
BANNED

I have heard somewhere that the Matiz has an AC compressor similar to a Tempo traveller (Yes!!). Please post the compressor model no here if possible.
Chor bazaar is a good option to find this thing and will not cost you an earth to buy. You'd be able to get somebody in Mumbai to see if the thing is working or not. Get in touch with Karl/Moralfibre/Shrivz from Pune.
Old 6th October 2008, 00:56   #10
BHPian

Why don't you check with GM if the compressor for the new GM Spark works in the Matiz?
The Spark is essentially a newer version of the Matiz so maybe you have a shot there.
Old 6th October 2008, 11:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I have heard somewhere that the Matiz has an AC compressor similar to a Tempo traveller (Yes!!). Please post the compressor model no here if possible.
Zak you sure about this? Tempo has a lot more space inside the vehicle to cool, so the compressor has to be bigger. If that compressor is adapted to the Matz it will sap a lot of power off that small engine.
Old 13th October 2008, 15:54   #12
BHPian

Everyone, I have some good news. The day I posted this thread, I called up my cousin who stays in Jabalpur (MP). I asked him to call up his mechanic and see if he has got a salvaged one or something similar to get my job done. He returned my call in 5 minutes, amazingly his mechanic had a brand new compressor for the Matiz. The next one hour went in asking him the price and the brand (manufacturer if any ) and other details like warranty etc. I asked my bro to go there personally and send me the snaps so that I could finalise the deal. He knows about nothing but cars and hence he could not send me any snaps from there itself. The price was fixed at a little less than 8000. Well after a week long wait, I have recieved it now and am posting some pictures.

I called up my mechanic and he says I have got a decent deal. I just hope it works now, I am sure it was handled properly since I had someone get it for me personally from there. I am giving the 'car-compressor' for fitment tomorrow. Mech says he will take about two hours to fix this and put some high pressure stuff and leave it for a day. I will be able to drive the car at that time. The gas filling will be done the next day which will take about 10 minutes. I clicked some pictures today morning indoors and try to take the close ups of the specs written on it but my E90 does not do well with macro on in low light conditions. Anyways, here are the pics.

Looks like a Delphi unit to me and if it is really one, I am in luck.

Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz-131020081029.jpg

Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz-131020081030.jpg

Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz-131020081032.jpg

Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz-131020081034.jpg
Old 13th October 2008, 16:28   #13
BHPian

Few more pictures here: I'll update tomorrow with the fitting process since I plan to be there all the time it is being done. Just hoping for a chilled cabin now cheers:Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz-131020081028.jpg

Need a salvaged A/C compressor for my Matiz-131020081027.jpg
Old 13th October 2008, 17:29   #14
BHPian

The box does say Delphi and the packaging is not too old.

But since now I know that its a product of Delphi T & I division, Kasna Plant, I have contacted someone there. Even though he is in their Damper division in the same plant, but he 'thinks' that they still are manufacturing compressors for Matiz. So I have asked to check on that, and if its is possible for me to source directly from the plant, or if he can make some arrangements.

They also manufacture Shock absorbers for all Maruti cars, so have asked to check for my Esteem as well.

Lets see if we can get some benefit.
Old 13th October 2008, 17:49   #15
BHPian

Just talked to another contact, he left Delphi couple of months back and says that they were manufacturing the Matiz compressor till couple of months back and cannot say for sure now as he is not working there.

Secondly he said that he sourced it for couple of his friends as well, and after discounts and all it costed around Rs.6.5k to 6.8K.

So abhi1309, the 8K price tag does not see to be bad to me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks