Team-BHP - Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/47047-skoda-laura-problems-solutions-thread-78.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 4381603)
Nah I think its OK for a top up. Skoda themselves were using Shell Helix Ultra when I bought the car. Later when the entire VAG group tied up with Castrol as their preferred oil vendor, Skoda too started using OE professional which is supplied to OE's only and not in the open market. So lot of cars running on Shell filled from the factory which came for top up would have got topped up with Castrol. I myself have topped up with Shell in my TSI without any issues.

I think this 'you are not supposed to mix oils of different brands' theory is floated by oil companies to prevent you from using competitor's products. lol:

In any case I think it is better to top off with same grade - different company than different grade - same company. The one on sale in Amazon is 5W-30.

Hmm. Just did some research on the subject and here is what I found. Don't mix if you don't need to. But if an emergency, better to have 2 different oils than have low oil level.

Quote:

Myth: You can’t mix brands of motor oil.
Fact: Mixing brands is not the best practice because the additive systems in each may be different and when mixed may not function as efficiently as desired. However, no serious problems will occur if you must add a different brand of equivalent quality between oil changes. It is very important to maintain proper oil level.
Source

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 4381603)

I think this 'you are not supposed to mix oils of different brands' theory is floated by oil companies to prevent you from using competitor's products. lol:

Absolutely agree to this! Just wanted to be sure.

My 1.8 TSI Laura is from the very first batch (CKD date: August 2009, Purchase: Feb 2010) and still has the original Shell Helix Ultra sticker on the inside of the bonnet lol:

For first couple of years, the car ran on Shell Helix Ultra (the first 2 annual services/oil changes and whatever top ups in between), then suddenly VW group changed loyalties and started spreading same mysticism about Castrol that they were spreading about Shell before. "VW specs" for the oil! Haha.

Don't forget that Skoda had 7500km oil change intervals ever since they started selling cars in India, which they suddenly changed to 15000km sometime around 2010/2011 and applied the change to existing/old cars as well (though no changes were made to those existing engines and turbos:uncontrol).

These guys are not Gods, in fact, far from it. Take them with truck-load of salt.

So finally, I decided to change the DSG Oil today. Laura has done 53000 Kms after 5.5 Years. I went to this specific independent vendow after coming across some good reviews from Team-BHP about a gentleman called Abraham who owns this workshop called Eurocar.
He charged my Rs.10000 for 6 Litre of DSG Oil + Filter from the brand Febi (Bilstein). The oil replaced was moderately dark in shade. Their mechanic did an clean job. Very friendly people. Few other cars I found there were Porsche Cayanne, Range Rover, Audi A6, Couple of Jettas and Octavias. I am not sure whether there's any extra smoothness in the shift post oil change except for the Placebo effect lol:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aa_asif (Post 4386806)
So finally, I decided to change the DSG Oil today. Laura has done 53000 Kms after 5.5 Years. I went to this specific independent vendow after coming across some good reviews from Team-BHP about a gentleman called Abraham who owns this workshop called Eurocar.
He charged my Rs.10000 for 6 Litre of DSG Oil + Filter from the brand Febi (Bilstein). The oil replaced was moderately dark in shade. Their mechanic did an clean job. Very friendly people. Few other cars I found there were Porsche Cayanne, Range Rover, Audi A6, Couple of Jettas and Octavias. I am not sure whether there's any extra smoothness in the shift post oil change except for the Placebo effect lol:.

Which brand and grade of oil did you get?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricky_1605 (Post 4387556)
Which brand and grade of oil did you get?

Mechanic got the VW SPEC DSG Oil. Brand name is Febi from the house of Bilstein. Filter also came as a part of the kit which was manufactured in Netherlands. It came as a kit of 6 bottles + Filter.

Off late, the cloth-like roof lining material is sagging in my Laura. Looks like the glue is coming off. Anyone experienced this issue? Skoda A.S.S. is quoting around 10K to fix it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinodh_eee (Post 4390514)
Off late, the cloth-like roof lining material is sagging in my Laura. Looks like the glue is coming off. Anyone experienced this issue? Skoda A.S.S. is quoting around 10K to fix it.

I have got it fixed in 5K from my local mechanic. Job very well done and this is common problem across German cars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerpb (Post 4390641)
I have got it fixed in 5K from my local mechanic. Job very well done and this is common problem across German cars.

Thanks. Please let me know how they do it. Do they remove the entire roof board and then glue the same lining?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinodh_eee (Post 4390727)
Thanks. Please let me know how they do it. Do they remove the entire roof board and then glue the same lining?

They took out complete top took it to the work shop redone the top and installed it back. They replaced the cloth and used same foam and did the re-fitment.

Overall it took a days time, basically time required to dry the glue.

- Sameer

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerpb (Post 4390764)
They took out complete top took it to the work shop redone the top and installed it back. They replaced the cloth and used same foam and did the re-fitment.

Overall it took a days time, basically time required to dry the glue.

- Sameer

5k is not bad. I got the whole roof lining changed with foam for 7.5k from Delhi. Skoda A.S.S. quoted 25k including the sunroof lining.

Hi BHPians, I'm planning on buying a pre-worshipped Laura (2010-2012) and have shortlisted a 2010 TSI and two 2011 2.0TDI Elegences (a manual and an AT). Now, I have been going through this thread for the last couple of days and although it may be a faulty generalization, but it appears that the TSIs are statistically more reliable than the TDIs. What is your opinion?

Also, Laura owners of Bangalore - can you suggest a good FNG for VAG cars, especially Lauras? I looked up the directory but cannot find anything specific for VAG cars. I had been availing the services of Sejal Motors for my previous car and they get the job done. The owner, Mr. Suresh did mention that he services Skoda cars (I have seen a couple of old Lauras and Superbs at the workshop) but I'm not sure on his competency on handling the "more complex" Europeans. He neither has nor uses VCDS diagnostics.

Off-late I have been facing this strange issue with the Climate Control of my Laura. It takes a while for the compressor to fire up. It could range from immediately to almost few kms. As in sometimes the cooling starts right from the moment the AC is switched on or sometimes it's just the fan and the AC will start cooling after almost 5-10 mins or so and it becomes quite unbearable to sit in the sticky heat of full blown air.
But, Once the compressor starts working, I have no complaints about the cooling power and it is chilling as ever. What could be the problem? Someone mentioned to me about a faulty solenoid switch which sit on top of the compressor. It is like a cut-off switch. Has anybody faced this issue?

Hi Bhpians, Yesterday I went to the market to get some medicines, parked the car normally and after 10 mins when I came back, the key stopped turning. Not even going to ON or self position. It was about 10 pm and I called the crane service to take the car to Skoda A.S.S. Now waiting for their diagnosis and damages.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerd1200 (Post 4391584)
Laura owners of Bangalore - can you suggest a good FNG for VAG cars, especially Lauras? ....
...He neither has nor uses VCDS diagnostics.

Sri Raghavendra Motors, Hoodi is an Bosch authorized service center. They do service/Repair Skoda/VW cars. They does have VCDS diagnosis set-up and competent mechanics. Recently I have replaced Intercooler for my Skoda Rapid.