Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2008, 14:54   #1
BHPian

Issue with Alto headlights

hello all,

I own a alto Vx 2001 model and its head lights are not as bright as new model cars. I feel lot of difficulty while driving at night and i wish to improve/modify the headlights? does any one has any idea how it can be done or has got simliar kind of work done. Once maruti service guy had suggested me that it can be done by fitting an extra relay unit which is going to cot about 2000/-. any ssuggestions.

Thanks
RP
Old 11th October 2008, 15:25   #2
BANNED

Please go through the auto lighting thread. (Select "advanced search" from the "search" drop down menu and type in "auto lighting" and select "title only" from the drop down menu again.

There is awhole gold mine of information in there.

In short - up grade the bulbs. ANd I I do not think the relays will cost that much.
Old 11th October 2008, 15:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

i too faced the same problem in my alto and a perfect solution to it is go for philips rally vision 100/90 w bulbs and a relay kit from PMP or other good brand like roots. now the light is very bright, bright enough to bother the new cars.

do no put 130 w in ur old model alto.

cost:
Bulbs: 140 rs each
Relay kit : 500 rs max
Old 11th October 2008, 19:30   #4
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
I own a alto Vx 2001 model and its head lights are not as bright as new model cars. I feel lot of difficulty while driving at night and i wish to improve/modify the headlights? does any one has any idea how it can be done or has got simliar kind of work done.
Hi rammishra,

You can try upgrading to Philips Xtreme Power bulbs from Philips, if you do not want to add a relay or a higher wattage bulb. These bulbs perform brilliantly and you can read about them on another thread on this website.

They would be a good upgrade to improve the illumination on your car.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 11th October 2008, 21:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i too faced the same problem in my alto and a perfect solution to it is go for philips rally vision 100/90 w bulbs and a relay kit from PMP or other good brand like roots. now the light is very bright, bright enough to bother the new cars.

cost:
Bulbs: 140 rs each
Relay kit : 500 rs max
You can definitely install a 130 watt philips rallye. not problem. i am using it in a very old800.

Relay (PMP) is just Rs.75. Mico is expensive at Rs.250.

Labour is just Rs.150.

also adjust both the lamp with a beam tester. definitely not available with roadside wireman but at M.A.S.S.
the local wireman will adjust it manually at night/dark.

Last edited by SirAlec : 11th October 2008 at 21:38.
Old 12th October 2008, 15:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i too faced the same problem in my alto and a perfect solution to it is go for philips rally vision 100/90 w bulbs and a relay kit from PMP or other good brand like roots...

Amit will know better because he went thru the same pain very recently and then did the above mentioned change. A happy person, ever since!

Ram, do not go for the 130. Now, unless the 2001 model had a different, stronger light units than the 2005 built, be prepared to face a melt down (if you use 130)!
Old 12th October 2008, 15:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Go for 90/100 w halogen lamps with relay.
This entire set up costed me rs 350 only at MASS.
This includes 100/90 w halogen bulbs+ relay+labour.

Now, buses and trucks lower their beams for my alto.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th October 2008 at 15:35.
Old 13th October 2008, 11:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
I own a alto Vx 2001 model...
Once maruti service guy had suggested me that it can be done by fitting an extra relay unit which is going to cot about 2000/-. any suggestions.
Hi, I own a 2001 Vx too I got a 90/100 kit installed about a year ago. This is quite a common upgrade which includes a relay, ceramic holders, & bulbs of your choice (I went with Philips Rallye). Parts & labor shouldn't exceed Rs.1,200 - even at an authorized center...

Have the lights aimed correctly once the install is done for deriving maximum benefits from the upgrade.

Last edited by im_srini : 13th October 2008 at 11:46.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:23   #9
BHPian

re: Issue with Alto headlights

Hi all,

I own a 2007 Maruti Alto LXi. Recently changed both the headlights because they had faded over time. Now, the service center has installed some low quality 60/55w bulbs which have very poor throw and illumination. Please suggest a suitable upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th October 2018, 11:03   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
Hi all,

I own a 2007 Maruti Alto LXi. Recently changed both the headlights because they had faded over time. Now, the service center has installed some low quality 60/55w bulbs which have very poor throw and illumination. Please suggest a suitable upgrade.

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

I think you should check out this thread,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ting-here.html (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

One common upgrade is to add 100/90w bulb with relay and wiring harness. More expensive solution is opting for HID setup or even adding projectors.

Word of caution, 100/90w may generate more heat and some headlight assembly may burn and fade out due to that.

Thanks.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Hello,

I think you should check out this thread,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ting-here.html (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

One common upgrade is to add 100/90w bulb with relay and wiring harness. More expensive solution is opting for HID setup or even adding projectors.

Word of caution, 100/90w may generate more heat and some headlight assembly may burn and fade out due to that.

Thanks.
Thank you for this information! I think I'll try the 100/90 setup. I do a lot of night driving especially in the highways. So I think this should do the trick! Thanks again!
ard1955 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 11:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: issue with alto headlight

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
If you think that the bulbs are of poor quality, then you can just swap them with another pair of 60/55w . Some good brands are Philips/ Osram/ Hella/ Bosch etc. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, you can also go to your Maruti service station and also opt for OE bulbs by Maruti.

Regards,
Saket.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:44   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
If you think that the bulbs are of poor quality, then you can just swap them with another pair of 60/55w . Some good brands are Philips/ Osram/ Hella/ Bosch etc. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself, you can also go to your Maruti service station and also opt for OE bulbs by Maruti.

Regards,
Saket.
Hi Saket! I've used the following setups in my car so far :

1. 60/55w OE bulbs
2. 100/90 Hella bulbs with wiring kit
3. P8 4300k 55w HIDs

None of these produced satisfactory results and I'm just really confused as of now. Obvious priorities being better throw and illumination. Could you suggest something which fits the bill out of all these brands?
Old 24th October 2018, 11:51   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Saket! I've used the following setups in my car so far :

1. 60/55w OE bulbs
2. 100/90 Hella bulbs with wiring kit
3. P8 4300k 55w HIDs

None of these produced satisfactory results and I'm just really confused as of now. Obvious priorities being better throw and illumination. Could you suggest something which fits the bill out of all these brands?
My own set up on the Zen is 100/90W Philips Rally bulbs with a roots relay wiring kit since last 9 years. I always drive on the low beam and rarely switch to Hi-beam, that too on the highways only and I have no reason to complain on any front regarding this set up.

The reflectors inside the headlight assembly also contribute big time to proper illumination. I hope that you changed the headlamp assembly with a genuine part. A 100/90 set up with proper relay kit generally doesn't really leave much to ask for, in my opinion.

Regards,
Saket.

Last edited by saket77 : 24th October 2018 at 12:07.
Old 24th October 2018, 11:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
My own set up on the Zen is 100/90W Philips Rally bulbs with a roots relay wiring kit since last 9 years. I always drive on the low beam and rarely switch to Hi-beam, that too on the highways only and I have no reason to complain on any front regarding this set up.

The reflectors inside the headlight assembly also contribute big time to proper illumination. I hope that you changed the assembly with a genuine part. A 100/90 set up with proper relay kit generally doesn't really leave much to ask for, in my opinion.

Regards,
Saket.
I changed the headlight assembly from a Maruti Authorized Service Station only. I think I'll try the Philips and Roots combo this time. Will update once the switch is done. Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks