Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2008, 14:45   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
we had a similar discussion here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...indicator.html
this was for maruti cars in GENRAL.....
Ohhhh.. and all this while I was thinking that it was only the Gypsy that did not have the Low-Fuel warning light. I was even planning to post here on how get one retro-fitted. In my Gypsy the needle goes way way lower then the "E" symbol at times. At "E", I still have some 10L of petrol.

So it's across all Maruti vehicles - not specific to my Gypsy. Wonder why Maruti vehicles don't have such a simple feature?

Cheers,
Old 18th October 2008, 14:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Wonder why Maruti vehicles don't have such a simple feature?

Cheers,

Answer is in Maruti's tv advertisement.

" ye maruti hai, petrol khatam hi nahi hota "

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 18th October 2008 at 14:50.
Old 18th October 2008, 15:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

LOL thats a good one
Old 18th October 2008, 15:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

.. OH MY GOD. I almost fell off the chair laughing. Good one Ashish.

But, I wish that were true for my Gypsy. "Usme petrol khatam hota hai"
Old 18th October 2008, 15:16   #20
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

I have run out of fuel on my swift VXI - there is no light

Thread Closed?

It is funny how people talk about "retrofitting" things on their cars - can i make my fwd car to rwd?, can i put ABS in my car?, can i make my car fly?
Old 18th October 2008, 15:20   #21
BHPian

Not one, but two.

My LDi has not one, but two fuel warning lights in the instrument cluster, so I'm sure the provision exists for the feature.
If you look closely during the day time, you can see one on the pointlessly oversized fuel gauge just below the 'E' mark.
You can also see one on the speedo (toward the bottom and slightly toward the right, IIRC).

If neither of these are going to illuminate when the fuel goes into the reserve, then I am going to be pissed!!

Aerohit, how old is your VXi? Perhaps in newer cars (mine's about 2 months old) MUL have actually enabled the lamp for all models.

Last edited by ghostrider : 18th October 2008 at 15:24.
Old 18th October 2008, 15:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
My LDi has not one, but two fuel warning lights in the instrument cluster, so I'm sure the provision exists for the feature.
If you look closely during the day time, you can see one on the pointlessly oversized fuel gauge just below the 'E' mark.
You can also see one on the speedo (toward the bottom and slightly toward the right, IIRC).

If neither of these are going to illuminate when the fuel goes into the reserve, then I am going to be pissed!!

Aerohit, how old is your VXi? Perhaps in newer cars (mine's about 2 months old) MUL have actually enabled the lamp for all models.
Yes you may have them in the instrument cluster,but they might now ever glow,since manufacturers dont make new instrument clusters for low end model,if they want to disable some features.

I know How badly i wish to see the 4WDL and 4WDH lights glowing in my Bolero's instrument cluster
Old 18th October 2008, 15:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Thread Closed?

It is funny how people talk about "retrofitting" things on their cars - can i make my fwd car to rwd?, can i put ABS in my car?, can i make my car fly?
what do you mean by thread closed?

whats funny in talking about retrofitting?
can not you make your car windows power operated?
can not you fit turbo and k&n filters?
can not you add tachometer at dash?
can not you add low fuel warning lights in dash?
about flying the cars, no one has talked about it.

no offence.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 18th October 2008 at 15:57.
Old 18th October 2008, 16:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

This particular feature is not that essential. If you are FE conscious you should be filling in the fuel before the gauge crosses the half way mark and not wait until it reaches even E. After it reaches E one has upto 8 lts of petrol in Swift.
Old 18th October 2008, 17:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
It is funny how people talk about "retrofitting" things on their cars - can i make my fwd car to rwd?,
Well can I make my FWD to a RWD ?

On a serious note.
Yeah it can be done. But it will be wayyyyyyyy too much work.

All you have to do is the identify the fuel level when the warning light needs to be activated (5Lts left in the tank for example)

This can be done by emptying the tank and filling 5Lts of fuel in it.
Measure the o/p voltage from the float thingy in the tank. -#
Its a rheostat (a variable resistor), what the fuel gauge does is to indicate the same (the varying voltage corresponding to the increase/decrease of fuel in the tank)

Then all you need is an electronic whiz guy to make you a circuit that will trigger at this particular voltage as mentioned in (#)

Is it worth all the effort ?
No IMO.
Old 18th October 2008, 20:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Then all you need is an electronic whiz guy to make you a circuit that will trigger at this particular voltage as mentioned in (#)

Is it worth all the effort ?
No IMO.
IMO is the operative word here. What you've asked for here is a pretty easy job. It wouldnt take me more than a hundred bucks to make the above mentioned circuit ( with an LED bar graph display ) on stripboard, but installing it is out of my realm ( not very experienced with auto electicals )

PS: to everyone else, its easy to say that somethng is stupid and cant be done. Anyone can. But it takes either sheer idiocy or genius to do otherwise, and often its hard to distinguish between them. I say why not !

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th October 2008 at 20:50.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:14   #27
BHPian

@greenhorn

"But it takes either sheer idiocy or genius to do otherwise, and often its hard to distinguish between them"

Agreed Buddy.
There is a reason why I said its not worth it (for me).

You see, I was a guy who used to run the car/bike on fumes and fill her up at the last moment before running out of gas.

In my 12+ years of motoring twice I ran out of fuel.

1. Bike around 300mts before the fuel station in my native cochin.

This made me say man. I'm lucky...

2. Car around 400 mts after a busy junction (thank god it was after it) here in chennai. i had to call up my friends and go around 4 kms to find a fuel station and get 1lts in a mineral water bottle.

After this I never (well I try 95% of the time to be honest) let it go below 1/4 tank and in bike 20kms after hitting reserve.

I'm not saying its a bad idea and "not" worth the effort.
Its just not worth it for me

Edit : If you are really serious about it, try if your local mechanic can will help you with the wiring part. In most modern cars there are separate socket thingy for each and every component and taking the o/p from the fuel gauge will not be that difficult at all. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty take the screw driver and have a look behind the speedo/fuel console. You will easily able to figure it out on your own.

Last edited by yzfrj : 18th October 2008 at 21:19.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:27   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I have never seen this indicator in my Vxi. The eyeopener with this thread has been that this "feature" is something Maruti will offer as an "advanced exciting new option" in its next refresh of the Swift.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

yzfrj, thats why I said IMO is the operative word here. I respect your opinion and totally understand. My point was just that it is possible and quite worth it for people who feel that it is required and have the skills to pull it off

PS : to those feeling adventurous ,
Simple Low Fuel or Low Gas Indicator Circuit for your Automobile, Van, Truck, SUV or Car.
Its a simple circuit, a 5th sem electronics student should be able to understand/make it

Last edited by greenhorn : 18th October 2008 at 21:58.
Old 18th October 2008, 22:19   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift8847 View Post
Chill bro. I have seen this light glow only once in my car. The time I took the delivery. Never after that. I assume that the light glows only when the quantity of fuel is very less. The light doesnt glow even when the needle touches 'E'. Have driven quite some distance after the needle touchin 'E'.

but if the light is present in swift zxi.how come it is not present in the vxi/vdi versions of dzire/swift.
accordingly the zdi and zxi versions of dzire would be haveing the light.zxi/zdi owners please throw some light on this issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks