Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2008, 19:08   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Simply ask Toyota to replace the parts (whatever it is, brake pad or clips or disk, you really don;t care). Let me explain to you why I said so....
Hey Altis, If something in my car were faulty and the company had to replace a part, I would not let them touch the car without first telling me the problem and detailing exactly which parts need to be replaced. Whether under warranty or not I would want to know what parts have been changed in my car.

Please get in touch and let us know the part which was replaced. You should also have got a bill with the amount as Rs.0 and the parts replaced clearly mentioned. In the future this is very important.
Old 7th November 2008, 19:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
On the other forum as I mentioned earlier, the guy got his car checked and company replaced 3 of his shockers which they said was the reason behind this noise and also told that there is some issue with shockers of 2000 cars. Is that possible?
I don't think it is the suspension in your case. Also as Altis has already mentioned the problem lies with the pads. First get the pads changed and check, before you go looking for anything else.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Please get in touch and let us know the part which was replaced. You should also have got a bill with the amount as Rs.0 and the parts replaced clearly mentioned. In the future this is very important.
Thats very correct, I got the bill with amount as Rs 0 and also everything mentioned in it about what they did. I am a bit hasitant to get any parts changed to a new factory fitted car. Until it is unavoidable and there is really a problem in a part, I try to avoide. Does it make any difference or I am just being over concious?

@vikram: Thanks, I'll do that. Have a look at this link, are the service center people bluffing this guy? Just saw.. His problem has also surfaced again after 4 days??

@Altis: Now your car doesn't have the problem re-surfaced, or has it also. Please can you check with your dealer and tell which parts they changed? Thanks for your feedback.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:28   #34
Team-BHP Support

So what all did they change? Could you list it out of here. It will help all other members as well. thanks.
Old 8th November 2008, 21:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

I fail to see how changing suspension will help with brake noise. Anyways something interesting that has come out of the other link is that there is a problem with the first batch of Altis's. Get the car to the garage and get everything checked out thoroughly.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have you guys tried washing your car and then parking the car for one hour? Not even a pressure wash just the regular bucket wash.

After the wash come back after one hour and take a close look at the brake rotors. Every single rotor will be covered with a layer of rust just because of a few drops of water.
Thats the latest thing I tried and to my surprise it is very correct. After around 2 hours since my guy cleaned the car I went and observed the discs, to my horror they were highly rusted exactly in the shape and pattern of the water falling on it. Even the smallest drop got rusted. And after a small drive it fadded. So that explain why the noise is coming back for everyone, but does it mean that even if they change the disks then too to the problem is going to stay coz it would be same quality.
Old 9th November 2008, 20:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

Brake discs are made from a material known as grey iron. It can withstand high temperatures and has no treatment for rust.

Changing them is of no use. They are supposed to catch rust because of the material properties.
Old 19th November 2008, 22:20   #38
BHPian

guys , Toyota has accepted that there is a suspension issue in Altis , which was causing breaks to screech in slow speed. And they are running a campaign to replace the faulty suspensions. Gave my Altis for 1000K service with similar screeching problem and got the car back in perfect condition with no more noise issue.
When checked with the service center this was disclosed.

Also Altis owners please advice if they are feeling any difference in ride quality after the service ( specifically those who faced light screeching sound while breaking).
Old 20th November 2008, 23:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hey Hackett, my dealer in Jaipur is having no clue about the campaign. Is there a place to find out or on internet where I can take the print of this campaign. I am scheduled to give my car for first 1000 service on coming thursday.
Old 21st November 2008, 00:52   #40
BHPian

Guys Relax,
Break disc/drums are made of Cast / Grey iron. The break pads are asbestos or similiar substance, which will rub against the cast iron to give the friction for stopping the car. So every time the Cast iron is rubbed against the pad and become polished. Now it is obvious that the exposed cast iron with some moisture will get rust(oxide) very fast.

Pour some water to the discs and check out after 8 hours. Irrespective of make, there will be brown color Oxide(rust) on it. Using your car for a few Kms it will be rubbed out by itself.

Quote:
The noise has again started, what to do now?
Take her for a long drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
In the meantime, I also took the vehicle on a long distance trip (about 400kms in total) and there was no sound.
I think this is what really helped you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st November 2008 at 12:19. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Guys Relax,
Break disc/drums are made of Cast / Grey iron. The break pads are asbestos or similiar substance, which will rub against the cast iron to give the friction for stopping the car. So every time the Cast iron is rubbed against the pad and become polished. Now it is obvious that the exposed cast iron with some moisture will get rust(oxide) very fast.

Pour some water to the discs and check out after 8 hours. Irrespective of make, there will be brown color Oxide(rust) on it. Using your car for a few Kms it will be rubbed out by itself.
So you mean we have to learn to live with it. It is an on and off affair all the while. Sometimes it is really very loud.
Old 21st November 2008, 11:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you mean we have to learn to live with it. It is an on and off affair all the while. Sometimes it is really very loud.
No, it is not something that you need to live with! This is certainly an exception and Toyota needs to sort it out.

If this was not an exception, then we should be having all the vehicles with disks making sound!

And HotChillyPepper, I do not think that the long drive was the solution to Altis's issue. He got the parts changed and that is what helped him out, IMHO. And comeon, for the brakes, sometime even a 10km drive can be more stressful than a 300kms drive.

My 2 cents!
Old 21st November 2008, 12:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And HotChillyPepper, I do not think that the long drive was the solution to Altis's issue. He got the parts changed and that is what helped him out, IMHO. And comeon, for the brakes, sometime even a 10km drive can be more stressful than a 300kms drive.
My 2 cents!
HappyWheels,

What I mean is his vehicle is too new to decide on any rotating parts, especially tires, breaks etc. In my experience every vehicle will not have a perfect breaking during the initial 1000 Kms. We will have to give some time for the parts to run in and give and optimum performance. And that is the reason manufacturers insist a run in period.

I really dont know there is some design / Manufacturing issues with the Altis breaks. Also dont know how loud the sound is and there is some effect on breaking distance as well. But I believe if such a problem exist on a product launched recently by a manufacturer like Toyota will never sleep on it and let the customers die.

I also had similar issues with breaks on my Magnum during the initial 200 Kms. When I consulted the service, they told me that is very normal and will continue till the break pads heated up. The sign is that you will see black break dust on your wheels rims. this will only happen when you drive fast for a long distance. In city the break pads will never run in as the heat generated will be very less. The first time when I drove done to Kerala (500Kms) I have seen the black dust and after that there was no screeching sound. This is my experience.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 21st November 2008 at 12:32.
Old 21st November 2008, 12:40   #44
Team-BHP Support

@hotchillypepper, I think you missed my earlier post where I mentioned the same point as yours.

Even in a new car there is no reason for the brakes to squeal.a few dabs of the brakes even in city are enough to remove the rust. Moreover road cars are not equipped with competition pads that they need heating up for optimum performance. brake dust means wearing out of the pads. In city it is also observed but not as much.

In this case it clearly is a suspension issue which toyota have identified in other cities but I have a feeling it's not with the pads/discs. When you apply the brakes the car dives in front and loads the front suspension. This may be resulting in some metal contact when the car dives in front causing the sound. This will appear to be from the brakes as the car dives only when you apply the brakes.
Old 21st November 2008, 13:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
@hotchillypepper,

In this case it clearly is a suspension issue which toyota have identified in other cities but I have a feeling it's not with the pads/discs. When you apply the brakes the car dives in front and loads the front suspension. This may be resulting in some metal contact when the car dives in front causing the sound. This will appear to be from the brakes as the car dives only when you apply the brakes.
Ohh... I didn't read that. My bad. Then it looks like the Suspension settings. Isn't it? Why don't they recall then? Shall we send a pointer of this thread to Toyota?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks