Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2008, 17:00   #1
BHPian

Baleno Suspension Noise

I drive a 3 year old 52k run Baleno. Off late during hard braking when the front end dips there is a kind of knocking sound from the front of the car. I had the car inspected at the dealership and the service advisor identified the noise.

They delivered the car back after replacing the suspension bushes and stabaliser bar bushes and ends. The car drove ok for about 2 days but the noise is back again.

The noise is not constant. It is just kind of knocking under braking. The best example would be, if you have owned a two wheeler and if the front cups and cones are worn out or loose they would make clanking noise when you would go over bad roads. What i have is the same but it makes that noise when I brake hard making the front end to dip.

I know the steering damper noise in the Baleno and this is not.

If any of you have exxperienced it or no someone who can take care of this problem, please point me in the right direction.
Old 18th November 2008, 20:13   #2
BHPian

You have to tell the service station to give you a refund, since obviously that was not the problem. Can you tell us what exactly they did and how much they charged you?
Old 19th November 2008, 12:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I drive a 3 year old 52k run Baleno. Off late during hard braking when the front end dips there is a kind of knocking sound from the front of the car. I had the car inspected at the dealership and the service advisor identified the noise.

They delivered the car back after replacing the suspension bushes and stabaliser bar bushes and ends. The car drove ok for about 2 days but the noise is back again.

The noise is not constant. It is just kind of knocking under braking. The best example would be, if you have owned a two wheeler and if the front cups and cones are worn out or loose they would make clanking noise when you would go over bad roads. What i have is the same but it makes that noise when I brake hard making the front end to dip.

I know the steering damper noise in the Baleno and this is not.

If any of you have exxperienced it or no someone who can take care of this problem, please point me in the right direction.
Prashanth,
Please check your car's balancing rod as well as tie rod ends.
another possible sound can also be from brake calipers (if not greased well)
Old 6th February 2009, 08:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Last month the rear suspensions of my Baleno were serviced i.e. Dismantled, cleaned, lubricated. Since then, the rear left has developed a 'boomy' sound when going over humps/rough roads. It sounds like the noise made inside a large empty closed drum.
I'll be taking it back to the workshop soon and hence would like to understand before that, what could be the possible reasons?
The car has run approx 44K kms in 3yrs.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Got it checked at the workshop today. The spring had slipped off it's anchoring or something like that. I guess they goofed up when refitting last time. Took a TD, seems to have been sorted out.
Old 13th December 2010, 23:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno Suspension Noise

My car has run 71K kms.

The front end of the car feels 'loose' when going over rough roads. All the components of the suspension seem to rattle and there's a significant amount of ghat-ghat continuous noise. On smooth roads, there's no issue. I dont feel any loss of control during cornering etc.

Took the car to the workshop. They said the lower arms and the bushes need to be replaced. The LHS seems to be more damaged than the RHS. But both should be replaced at one go. Each lower arm unit costs around Rs. 6.5K. I asked about repairing. They said, it's possible using a lathe, but it won't last.

Some work on the steering also needs to be done. This, they mentioned, would be done on a lathe.

I had thought the suspension needs work. But they said the suspension is fine.
I wondered whether the clutch needs to be replaced. It has run 50K kms. They said, it's fine and will run another 50k !
I even thought there may be wheel bearing noise. They confirmed there seems to be none.

I kind of trust these guys. They have not taken me for a ride these 5 years and the support has been very good.

However, I'd still like some inputs from anyone who has faced issues with lower arms.
Old 14th December 2010, 00:24   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think i have the same issue as you.the front suspension seems to rattle on bad roads and i get that noise when i go over potholes as well..

however on smooth roads the car runs well and handles perfectly. i also feel the suspension isnt as stiff as it used to be but i guess thats expected over time...
Old 14th December 2010, 07:06   #8
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@ shuvc and revtech - The noise/ rattle on bad roads is 95% due to steering rack. I had the similar problem in my Baleno, which is now fine after the lathe work.
Old 14th December 2010, 07:53   #9
BHPian

If no vibration is felt on the steering wheel over bad roads then it may not be steering related.
Noise accompanied by vibration on the floor could be your lower arm. I was told by my mechanic that padding of the arm is possible. Replacing would cost 7k a piece.
Old 14th December 2010, 10:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@ shuvc and revtech - The noise/ rattle on bad roads is 95% due to steering rack. I had the similar problem in my Baleno, which is now fine after the lathe work.
What exactly goes wrong with the steering rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
If no vibration is felt on the steering wheel over bad roads then it may not be steering related.
Noise accompanied by vibration on the floor could be your lower arm
Hmmm. I think I get both. The steering vibration is not alarming. But the floor vibration on the LHS is quite a bit.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:08   #11
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
What exactly goes wrong with the steering rack?
Play comes at joints, on rough road you will hear 'khat' sound. Also on idle you will also have little play and some time slight sound too.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:25   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
. But the floor vibration on the LHS is quite a bit.
Think it is your Lh lower arm. Have it checked.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:32   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Play comes at joints, on rough road you will hear 'khat' sound. Also on idle you will also have little play and some time slight sound too.
I think I face the same problem in my swift. Where did you get the work done ? What was the solution and cost ?
Old 14th December 2010, 21:19   #14
BHPian

Remove the brake pad & check for the clip which holds pads in place. If it is not placed properly or worn out, we do get that noise while braking.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

lower arm and stabilizer bar bushes are the suspect here. Steering and its related parts can also be the suspect.

Worn out bushes can be checked. You just need a keen eye. To test the steering rack, just park on a plain surface, like cemented parking lot and vigorously turn left and right. If you hear the sound the steering is the suspect.

But 6.5 k for a trailing arm is ridiculous. SX4s which is among maruti's expensive lot cost only 3600/- per piece.

Most Viewed