Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:31   #16
BHPian

As i mentioned earlier i got the injectors clean from A.S.S..

And thanx guys for your valuable feedbacks.
I have noted down the various possibilities as you guys mentioned.
Will go to A.S.S. to get the things checked.

And the black smoke from the exhaust had disappeared after i got the injectors cleaned.
I have no idea of the color of the smoke: white or blue.
Will check it tommorow. All i know is that cloud of smoke from the exhaust of my car makes my heart sink!!
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
@line2drive - theres is no reason for you to worry about engine issues unless you are experincing substiantial loss of power ( such as forcing yo to do more gear changes than you regular pattern ) or hearing unusal noises from the engine or turbo.

If you are on premium diesel i would suggest that you switch back to normal diesel and fill diesel preferably for company owned / run outlets. I have had experinces with increased black smoke on filling premium fuel . Also try to stcik to one fuel pump which is a good one , this is of extreme importnace since the engine is a very sensitive engine it reacts sharply to adulterated or low quality fuel.

I have had multiple occasions when i have had to stop the car and clear the diesel filter of water/contaminants within covering 100 kms of filling fuel from highway side pumps. And also note that all diesel cars would spew back smoke when the engine is revved under full load.

There is no loss of power as such.
One thing is the cleaning of diesel filter a DIY? If so could you help me out with the procedure?
p.s. smoke persists even if there's no load in the car( and i am not that heavy ).
Old 23rd November 2008, 21:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_vdi View Post
i have been driving diesel cars for more than 3 years now and think there is nothing to worry.
a) there is accumulation of unburnt carbon in the exhaust in diesel cars. so when you rip her that deposit is what you see in the RVM. if you rev her high regularly this wont happen.
b) otheer factor might be the quality of diesel you are filling her with. low quality ful results in higher emission. try a different bunk.
smoke during high acceleration is common in diesel cars so relax.
(seniors i hope i am right)
yes i did observe that there's no smoke when i rip the car quite often.
so this activity might well be a cause.
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Raj, I would certainly like to know which 'Engineering book' this was!!

This would happen only for a very short duration till sufficient air is available to enable proper combustion. In modern cars that means till the time turbo-boost becomes available.

i'll PM you the details....

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd November 2008 at 23:54.
Old 24th November 2008, 00:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

Has your F.E. dropped?
Old 24th November 2008, 15:12   #21
BHPian

No the FE is still the same..
14 in the city and 19+ on highways.
Hope these figures are acceptable for a Verna.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Raj, I would certainly like to know which 'Engineering book' this was!!

This would happen only for a very short duration till sufficient air is available to enable proper combustion. In modern cars that means till the time turbo-boost becomes available.
I am not too sure about this, is it ?

Last edited by hellstar : 24th November 2008 at 16:43.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:53   #23
BHPian

Guys ripped the car today and what i saw was no smoke!! Tried to accelerate hard on lower gears but still no sign of it.. So i think everything is going on well.
Did a DIY also. Opened up the hood and took out the air filter from its casing.
Looked very dirty at the first instant.
Then tapped it onto the floor to check if it is clogged with dust.
Tapped it once and there i go; dust dust and more dust with continuous tapping..
Wonder how dusty our atmosphere is..
Tapped it until i was satisfied and placed the filter back.
One question though: [b] How to clean the air filter properly? Do we get a chemical for doing this job or replacement is the only way out??[\b]
Need inputs.

Also checked the level of the engine oil..
The engine oil level was okay but the color of the oil was a concern.
It was very dark in color may be black. Rubbed it on my fingers and it appeared to be very dark maroon or brown.
Is this normal? Shall i go for oil change? Continue with Mineral or should i switch to synthetic?
Last oil change was done at 20000km service and that was in AUGUST 08.
The odo has clocked 24,500km now.

Too many questions!! lol.

Replies awaited.

Regards,
Abhinav.
Old 24th November 2008, 16:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

I think it is normal for all diesels to smoke at high rpm's. My uncles fiesta diesel also does this but only when pushed really hard. Else no smoke at all. Runs on normal diesel. No additives. I used to see the same with an Accent CRDi that we previously owned.

@live2drive - dude, i would recommend you not to worry. Since there are no problems with FE & power of the engine it's all good.
Old 24th November 2008, 18:33   #25
BHPian

In diesels, unusual black smoke is most commonly caused by clogged air filters. In any case, every diesel car will emit some smoke upon hard acceleration, until the air supply catches up with the fuel injection.
Old 24th November 2008, 19:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

the best way to clean air filters is spraying it with air at high pressure/speed. you do get air compressor/sprayer machines for this but its better you take it to the service centre to do that. they also follow the same procedure and i think most probably they do clean your air filters every time you take your car for a service.
the oil colour does change to black. thats normal and nothing to worry about. change the oil as per manufacturer recommendations, that will be fine.
Old 24th November 2008, 20:21   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the best way to clean air filters is spraying it with air at high pressure/speed. you do get air compressor/sprayer machines for this but its better you take it to the service centre to do that. they also follow the same procedure and i think most probably they do clean your air filters every time you take your car for a service.
the oil colour does change to black. thats normal and nothing to worry about. change the oil as per manufacturer recommendations, that will be fine.
Thanks for your advice raj_5004.
But i think they do replace the air filter each time the car is in for service and i personally check that they do so..
Old 24th November 2008, 23:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

air filters are not replaced every time buddy, it is done only after certain kms... yes, it is cleaned every time. i am not too sure about hyundai though, do they charge you for air filters every time you go to the service centre?
Old 25th November 2008, 13:02   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
air filters are not replaced every time buddy, it is done only after certain kms... yes, it is cleaned every time. i am not too sure about hyundai though, do they charge you for air filters every time you go to the service centre?
I personally ask them to change the air filters each time my car is in for a service. And the service is usually done @ intervals of 10,000kms or 6 months whichever occurs earlier. Thats fair amount of time to get the filter replaced considering the dusty conditions.
Old 25th November 2008, 14:04   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
I personally ask them to change the air filters each time my car is in for a service. And the service is usually done @ intervals of 10,000kms or 6 months whichever occurs earlier. Thats fair amount of time to get the filter replaced considering the dusty conditions.
i clean airfilters every 2500 kms with high pressure air and replace them according to the scheduled duration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks