Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2014, 13:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddy View Post
Okay. Any idea about the cost of a new pipe? I guess the cat con too might need a replacement.
Mine is a May 2010 Ritz (petrol).
You did not mention which section is corroded... here are the mgp prices in delhi for the different parts of the system
manifold- Rs 22584
middle section 1- Rs 1724
middle section 2 - Rs 6214
last section (includes cat con) - Rs 6365
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 13:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
You did not mention which section is corroded... here are the mgp prices in delhi for the different parts of the system
manifold- Rs 22584
middle section 1- Rs 1724
middle section 2 - Rs 6214
last section (includes cat con) - Rs 6365
Thanks for the details joybhowmik.
Well, the manifold is good. The middle section along with the cat con looks badly corroded. I plan to visit the service centre this weekend and discuss about the repair.
Old 19th July 2014, 17:24   #33
BHPian

Hi,

Since this thread talks about Car body rust I thought I'll share my problem.

I stay in Mumbai and own a 2007 WagonR in good health. I thought the car had no apparent issues other than a an old suspension that needs attention.

This rainy season I was out of town for 5 days and when I came back the front passenger side had a small water pool.

I got alarmed and took her to the service center where they diagnosed that the cowl panel has rusted.

When they opened the car for work they called back and said the Dash panel also had issues. They have quoted a fee of around 10K for welding a strip over the hole for the cowl panel and just sealant treatment for dash panel.

Now my queries are -
1. Is this very common among cars in mumbai ?
2. Is this more common in Marutis due to thin sheet metal?
3. Is the remedy right ?

I do not intend to keep the car for more than 6-12 months due to this.

I have attached pictures to give you an idea of the damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-1.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-2.jpg  

Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 18:35   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Hi,
Now my queries are -
1. Is this very common among cars in mumbai ?
2. Is this more common in Marutis due to thin sheet metal?
3. Is the remedy right ?
That looks bad. Rusting accelerates at an alarming rate in areas with saline water. Other deposits and dissolved solids in water also accelerate such corrosion. Cars driven in areas with high salinity in water should be washed regularly with soft water. They need frequent application of good quality anti-rust treatment compared to cars in other regions. You should also check if water is seeping or collecting at some places in the car like running boards, hatch hinge area, etc.
The proper remedy is to cut away the corroded metal and then carry the repair job. Even better, if the panel is not too costly (depending upon the area), replace the entire panel. Remember, rust is like cancer. If not scrubbed away completely, it will expand its realms. Take special care if paint has faded at the edges exposing the metal.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 18:52   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this is regular Coke or Coke spiked with something. Anyone here tried anything like this? Will think a lot before I drink a sip of Coke!

Edit: Found this in the recommended list just after the above video. Now this just seems to reinforce the point!!! maybe coke should stop making sunshine videos and showcase the utility aspect

Last edited by procrj : 19th July 2014 at 19:03.
Old 21st July 2014, 12:44   #36
BHPian

@Saket77,

Thanks,

I had a prolonged conversation with the Service center Owner and he said that this is a common site in Mumbai cars, and that the only solution to this is regular anti-rust treatment every 3-5 years.

I was not surprised to see rust but compared to the exterior & interior of the car which is in fine condition this was a shocker.

- Slick
Old 21st July 2014, 13:14   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Saket77,

Thanks,

I had a prolonged conversation with the Service center Owner and he said that this is a common site in Mumbai cars, and that the only solution to this is regular anti-rust treatment every 3-5 years.

- Slick
3M is among the best in this business. As far as I know, they also offer a warranty on their job. Since, they are the experts in this area, I would trust them for a more precise & accurate job than the ASC.

Quote:
I was not surprised to see rust but compared to the exterior & interior of the car which is in fine condition this was a shocker.
Exactly what delays us discovering these rust spots. Since the car's body has rusted so badly, I would strongly suggest you to check the lower arms and other suspension parts so as to confirm that they are in perfect order. We have had a few cases on the forum when rusting of such parts have led to terrible consequences.

I would also suggest that you give your car & particularly the underbody a thorough wash, once every week with soft water.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:10   #38
BHPian

@Saket77

Thanks,

I have asked them to check and revert for any rusting on other parts of the body,

I have asked for anti-rust treatment at the ASC itself.

I do not intend to keep the car for long now, though the ASC has assured that the rust will be in control for at least 3-4 years post this job.

- Slick
Old 22nd November 2015, 10:27   #39
BHPian

Hey folks. So I've got to relocate to Chennai (specifically near DLF Tech Park) for 2 years. Since I will need a mode of transport there, I'm contemplating on buying a pre-owned car, mainly because I don't want to take any of my cars there, fearing there would be rust formation.

So my question is, am I being too paranoid? Is there a possibility of rust formation on my car? Especially with the weather plaguing chennai currently? Should I take my car along or should I stick with my idea of getting one in Chennai itself?

My primary idea is to get a cheap low budget car and sell it off when I'm returning to bangalore.

Please advise.
Old 22nd November 2015, 13:45   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Hey folks. So I've got to relocate to Chennai (specifically near DLF Tech Park) for 2 years. Since I will need a mode of transport there, I'm contemplating on buying a pre-owned car, mainly because I don't want to take any of my cars there, fearing there would be rust formation.

So my question is, am I being too paranoid? Is there a possibility of rust formation on my car? Especially with the weather plaguing chennai currently? Should I take my car along or should I stick with my idea of getting one in Chennai itself?

Please advise.
Chennai doesn't get much rains like this year often. We all have cars living close to the sea shore and we don't have any greater rusting issue. So you might be better off getting an under-chassis coat of protection from 3M (if you are so paranoic) and get one of your cars to Madras - if rust is the only issue which makes you hesitate.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 11:23   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Chennai doesn't get much rains like this year often. We all have cars living close to the sea shore and we don't have any greater rusting issue. So you might be better off getting an under-chassis coat of protection from 3M (if you are so paranoic) and get one of your cars to Madras - if rust is the only issue which makes you hesitate.
I completely agree with him. Rains this time has reminded us of times when cyclone used to visit Chennai during monsoon season. But flooding has never been so bad and reasons for same is man made and not natural.

On the other hand, its better to go for thickest possible coat for underbody in Chennai. Exterior too requires equal share of love, but underbody comes in contact with the most ruthless sludge and its share of sewage. ( Believe I have seen it since Chennai is my ghetto ).

Tap water is too salty nowdays so it comes with its own share of problems with parts. Go for cheap second hand and a 3M treatment. Should help you for a couple of years.

If you are planning to drive down here with your car, get it decked with Tufkote (Dinitrol) for underbody and engine parts. (Not advertising, using hence sharing thoughts).
Old 4th December 2015, 07:01   #42
BHPian

During third free service last month, I was advised by MASS body repair service advisor not to wash the car too often. He said frequent washes is the cause of premature rusting.

My car is a year old Alto K10 driven in Kolkata, known for a long monsoon. My garage has a shed but it is open on the sides. I use a car cover but often forget to put it on. So the car is covered like 15 days in a month. I had the anti rust coating done at the time of purchase. I wash the car like twice in a month with my pressure washer and gave it a coat of wax twice in past year. I thoroughly cleaned the doorjambs with ONR two months ago but couldn't find time to wax the door jambs. what else should I do prevent rust? I am doubtful whether I should continue washing after the warning by the body repair SA.

Last edited by wishnipon : 4th December 2015 at 07:23.
Old 4th December 2015, 15:13   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnipon View Post
I am doubtful whether I should continue washing after the warning by the body repair SA.
You live pretty close to sea or should I say "coastal region". Since I am from Chennai, I can relate to everything you said earlier. The problem is nature keeps working against us, "Relentlessly". One small mistake from our end, it will bite you back.

Coming back to your issue. The best options are:

1. Get that waxing session done one every 2/3 months. I followed the regimen of every month, but it was not rigorous session. Would take me anywhere between 2 to 3 hours, but worth it.

2. Underbody coating every 2 years is a must. Monsoon, slush, humidity start attacking locations that are in close contact with moisture. Underbody is generally neglected due to inaccessibility or lack of tools to help.

3. Get a coat of sealant also put on top of that paint coat every 6 months to get that gloss back.

4. Get engine coating done to save all those precious metals from salt and rust.

You come from the land of Waxpol.

Have you tried their paste wax ???

I bet there is nothing in this Indian peninsula that can beat Waxpol. It was the ultimate savior of our Ambassador, Maruti 800, Bajaj Classic SL and TVS 50 XL moped. Just put the tin warm water for few minutes and when its in the consistency of soft putty (M Seal softness), you can spread easily with your old cotton banian or old cotton Rupa underwear (my choice).
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2015, 10:00   #44
BHPian

These are the sentinels which are guarding my car from what mother nature can throw at me.

Painted surface is protected by Collinite 845 and 885. Engine is protected by Tuf-Kote Engine Protectant. Underbody is protected by Tuf-Kote Corrosion Protection Bitumen Based 4941 and Sound deadening 9220. All cavities are protected by Tuf-Kote 3852.

Mind you, this needs to be done to a car which is less than an year old so that you don't lose anything to mother nature and will help you get the ultimate protection from the base itself.

I have also made sure that the wheel wells are coated to keep things clean and rust proof for atleast 3-4 years.

Thanks to sgiitk for providing reference to this product in his previous posts which helped me research more.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-img_20151205_100841.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-img_20151205_103634.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-img_20151205_103644.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-img_20151205_103700.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-img_20151205_103704.jpg  

prithm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 22:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

I keep getting rust under the weather strip and beadings of my car doors. Any way to prevent that ? I dont think water is collecting there as such and dont wash my car more then twice a week.

Also wondering on the new SUVs, crossovers, etc how would you prevent rusting under all that black plastic cladding which you cant reach under ? Im especially concerned about doors, especially the bottom edge which is a prepetual rust spot for most cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks