Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2015, 10:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I keep getting rust under the weather strip and beadings of my car doors. Any way to prevent that ? I dont think water is collecting there as such and dont wash my car more then twice a week.

Also wondering on the new SUVs, crossovers, etc how would you prevent rusting under all that black plastic cladding which you cant reach under ? Im especially concerned about doors, especially the bottom edge which is a prepetual rust spot for most cars.
All these spots need to be attended to every 2 years (especially in coastal areas) to see if rusts have creeped in.

Solution is coating with cavity wax and a layer of sealant in all these locations. The bottoms of the doors can be painted with underbody coating (interior side) and a spray of clear coat on the outside.
prithm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 19:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Cavity wax in between the plastic cladding and the body panel ? That area will be tough to maintain, no way to wax(or use sealant) or paint without removing the cladding which Im sure most wont be willing to do especially on a brand new car.

What about under the weather strip and beading ? part of it you can wax by lifting it but again most cant be accessed for maintenance without removing it completely. Is it possible to use cavity wax inside the window frame ?

I guess this kind of rusting we just have to accept and deal with it as and when it crops up.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 13:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Cavity wax in between the plastic cladding and the body panel ? That area will be tough to maintain, no way to wax(or use sealant) or paint without removing the cladding which Im sure most wont be willing to do especially on a brand new car.

What about under the weather strip and beading ? part of it you can wax by lifting it but again most cant be accessed for maintenance without removing it completely. Is it possible to use cavity wax inside the window frame ?

I guess this kind of rusting we just have to accept and deal with it as and when it crops up.
Cavity wax can be used in claddings also. Yes. You need to open it once, spray is properly without spilling across, fix it back and forget it for next 2 or 3 years.

Cavity wax can be sprayed inside the door sills. (If you have time and patient mechanic).

All parts in car which is covered with claddings and weather strips can be saved with efforts and time. There is no need to accept the fact that they will get rusted anyhow unless you wish it to be that way.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 14:04   #49
BHPian

Rekindling an old thread but very useful one. Any current preventive measures to make our cars rust free for years and years of ownership?

Any yearly treatment to be done?

VWs are good to stay away from rusting but are Ford's, MS and Toyota as good?
Old 26th December 2019, 14:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Rekindling an old thread but very useful one. Any current preventive measures to make our cars rust free for years and years of ownership?

Any yearly treatment to be done?

VWs are good to stay away from rusting but are Ford's, MS and Toyota as good?
Mods: Please ignore back to back posts. Did not get a reply hence the second post.

Which brands have better protected from rust? How you will rank the several brands manufacturing cars in India?
Old 28th December 2019, 16:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mods: Please ignore back to back posts. Did not get a reply hence the second post.

Which brands have better protected from rust? How you will rank the several brands manufacturing cars in India?
Hey. Since you are in Mumbai get Dinitrol Underbody and Cavity wax treatment done from Tufkote who are their official dealers.
Located in Goregaon and prices on the website seem pretty reasonable too.
From my recent research it seems that wax and water based anti rust coatings are better than rubber/bitumen based which can cause additional rusting.
Reapplication to be done every 2-3 years which is decent.
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 18:43   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Hey. Since you are in Mumbai get Dinitrol Underbody and Cavity wax treatment done from Tufkote who are their official dealers.
Located in Goregaon and prices on the website seem pretty reasonable too.
From my recent research it seems that wax and water based anti rust coatings are better than rubber/bitumen based which can cause additional rusting.
Reapplication to be done every 2-3 years which is decent.
Thanks man. I shall have a look at their website and speak to them.

I own one Ford and 2 VWs. Not worried about VW (touching wood) but feel Ford will start showing rust in another 2 years or so. Need to read some article or page on it to understand the reasons of rusting. May be these people at Tufkote can help.
Old 28th December 2019, 20:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. I shall have a look at their website and speak to them.

I own one Ford and 2 VWs. Not worried about VW (touching wood) but feel Ford will start showing rust in another 2 years or so. Need to read some article or page on it to understand the reasons of rusting. May be these people at Tufkote can help.
I guess it's the weather, humidity and sea breeze in Mumbai + lots of flying debris having a sandpaper effect due to our bad roads and more that beats the regular factory rustproofing even if modern techniques are used. It doesn't hurt getting the treatment done atleast once when the car is new to give it a bit of a helping hand. I wish I had done my research properly and got this done earlier rather than getting vthe regular rubberised undercoating done twice but I will definitely do it in my next car.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 07:38   #54

Hello friends
This is my first post so pardon me for any mistakes.
I have 18 months old Tata nexon Xm (Feb 2021) model.
After 6 months I noticed rust on bonnet and roof of my car. Took it to Tata ASC and they told that it is minor issue and return my car after some rubbing on effected areas.
After that rusting starts on various other parts/areas also.Again took the car to ASC , request them to remove engine, side cladding, rear bumper etc. Found rust on almost all the joints in engine bay, all 4 doors are rusted , rear part where bumper fits is also rusted. Rear trunk gate is also rusting from inside.
I live in delhi NCR and car is always parked in proper parking shed in my house.
Currently car is in Tata ASC from 10 Aug 22. They insist me for repaint but I refused as all the front welded joints are rusted badly and this will compromise the strength of the body frame. Pics attached for team reference. I am thinking for file a case in consumer forum.
Please advise me what to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_122953.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_123319.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_130818.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_120718.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_120730.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_120603.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_120706.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_120619.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_120709.jpg  

Rust on Car bodies. What preventive care?-20220820_123047.jpg