Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 00:00   #31
BHPian

so is there no other connection to be made from the ac to this motor ??
Old 8th May 2009, 00:31   #32
BHPian

I just found this sentence "Disconnect the vacuum hose from the air conditioning idle boost throttle controller." on this page http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5053235AAA5wfb

Does it mean that the missing vacuum tube has to go somewhere on the air conditioner?
Old 8th May 2009, 23:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

in my i have a vaccump pump. thats connected to solenoid. i have checked another 99 model. in that it was missing. gotta se some more car, thats more research.
Old 9th May 2009, 19:06   #34
BHPian

Here are the pics as requested in PM hope you find the location of pipes in your car correctly.

m800 AC retrofit and some questions-pump1.jpg

Another angle showing the second pipe

m800 AC retrofit and some questions-pump2.jpg

sorry I forgot to take pic in daylight so I have to edit them so that pipes are clear, result was too much exposure.

Last edited by Hashim : 9th May 2009 at 19:09.
Old 9th May 2009, 22:06   #35
BHPian

thanks loads for the detailed pics Hashim, i went to the mechanic today... he said that the same actuator type thing (which you have marked with an arrow on the second pic) needs to be installed, in which the second pipe will go.

he said he would install another solenoid (or the FICD ?) (where the two wire connections and the vacuum tubes go in), i think which is just to expand the bill a few hundred bucks, as i think there is already this solenoid thing installed by default, but i have no problems with that. i bought both the things from him.

now the worse thing is what happened was that the carb is missing a small piece of linkage to this new actuator's arm, which would enable it to pull on the idle rpm controller on the carb.

and according to him, this small part is not available separately, and is saying that either the whole carb needs to be changed or its butterfly :(...

as you can see, i'm in a mess now. even though he adjusted the idle rpm on the higher side, till the time something permanent is done, so that the ac would work without using the choke, its consuming a lot of petrol.

i had the radiator fan changed to a higher watt one (its an original denso unit complete with the frame and a fan) but honestly i can't make out any increased air output or higher rpm than the stock one.

after wasting about 3 hours of my saturday morning this was the result. can you please help me out here... its feeling like my head'l explode! this bygone era carb is such a pain!

Last edited by eternalck : 9th May 2009 at 22:11.
Old 9th May 2009, 23:09   #36
BHPian

You can have a look at kabadi wala for missing carb parts, I usually do this when the spare needed is costly. Or I can think of a DIY mod in carb where a small solenoid may push acc. cable from carb side to increase RPM. This solenoid can be connected with AC switch.
Old 17th May 2009, 11:38   #37
BHPian

Some more issues, i now know that the system is low on gas.

I got it checked. All the signs are there too, the loss of cooling on high heat loads (12PM-5PM), the white stuff bubbling in receiver dryer on more than idle engine speeds.

i am just thoroughly disgusted with this workshop.

Please do not go to this car a/c shop in Sector 12 Market, Dwarka.
a)The guy is even unwilling to accept that there's a drastic drop in cooling in the afternoons, even when i took the car at the same time and showed it to him!

b)The maruti service center manager told me that that the wiring he did is very shabby and could give me problems.
Can you please tell me why is there a headlamp relay installed in the ac wiring??

Now that i know the guy was a real newbie at installing ac's, i have doubts even with the oil in the system that keeps the compressor lubricated. Did he have the brains of adding this?
Or is it inside the new compressor?

Now what should i do? Should i go to some reputed workshop and get the whole system checked and spend a few more bucks or should i again go to the same workshop and get him to fix it? But the latter seems a bad choice since if he knew what he was doing wrong, he wouldn't have done it in the first place.

Last edited by eternalck : 17th May 2009 at 11:40.
Old 17th May 2009, 14:36   #38
BHPian

I did go to him and he did put in some gas but still the sight glass of the receiver/dryer is still cloudy with white stuff but less than before.
Old 17th May 2009, 14:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
thanks loads for the detailed pics Hashim, i went to the mechanic today... he said that the same actuator type thing (which you have marked with an arrow on the second pic) needs to be installed, in which the second pipe will go.

he said he would install another solenoid (or the FICD ?) (where the two wire connections and the vacuum tubes go in), i think which is just to expand the bill a few hundred bucks, as i think there is already this solenoid thing installed by default, but i have no problems with that. i bought both the things from him.

now the worse thing is what happened was that the carb is missing a small piece of linkage to this new actuator's arm, which would enable it to pull on the idle rpm controller on the carb.

and according to him, this small part is not available separately, and is saying that either the whole carb needs to be changed or its butterfly :(...

as you can see, i'm in a mess now. even though he adjusted the idle rpm on the higher side, till the time something permanent is done, so that the ac would work without using the choke, its consuming a lot of petrol.

this bygone era carb is such a pain!
Ask the mechanic or whoever he was to got to hell. Its known as a FICD (Fast Idle control device) pump & switch, what it does is increases the rpm to 1100 -/+ 50. Its a pump that fits on the carb. It costs Rs. 150 and is fitted seperately. Mikuni does not manufacture carbs with FICD.
Old 17th May 2009, 18:58   #40
BHPian

what the problem is kavesh, is that a small part linking the pump to the carb is missing from the carb, which isn't available separately.

can anyone tell me about a good and reputed ac workshop in West Delhi? i am just bored of all these small problems.. and want to get rid of them as soon as possible.
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

@ eternalck
Didn't i told you I brought this car of a friend for service yesterday. You will not believe, the same part was missing in this too. ANd this is a factory fitted 99 DX model. Some previous mechanics might have nicked it.

What i did was that i kept the rpm little higher at about 930. Now here is a catch nobody operates AC when engine is cold. So since this is a carb model when the AC is switched on when the engine attains its ideal temperature there is no jerk. Do that until I find you and this lady the parts you require. Now i have to find two.

m800 AC retrofit and some questions-p1060848-medium.jpg

Last edited by SirAlec : 22nd May 2009 at 21:51.
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:10   #42
BHPian

The screw holes you are pointing to in the picture SirAlec is the mount point for the vacuum pump. I can show you the missing part if you can provide me a left side view of the upper carb.
I still coudn't visit the fellow with this part intact. I think tomorrow i can post the exact picture of the part.
Old 23rd May 2009, 23:37   #43
BHPian

I will try to explain through Hashim's pics.

In the first pic below, you can see the vacuum pump which is attached on the carb, on the holes that you mistakenly thought was the point for the part i was talking about. You can see the stem of the pump leading down to the accelerator control area. The area i marked in yellow has the missing part but since the pic is a bit dark in that area i cant show you the picture of the part yet.

In the second pic you can see the pump is mounted on the carb which i pointed with the pink arrow, in the circle is the point you are talking about.

I will make it further clear tomorrow when i take the pictures myself.
Attached Thumbnails
m800 AC retrofit and some questions-pump1.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 23rd May 2009, 23:38   #44
BHPian

Pardon me for my ignorance, but the AC retrofitment (OE kit from Subros) on our M800 carb model has been working effectively till date. The dealership took an additional day, against the initial proposal of a 1-day job, providing a reason that they had to source a "switch" which was needed in carb models. I assumed then that it could be the FICD (Tata has it on the Indica, and had to retrofit the FICD on our Indica for compensating loss of power when the AC is switched on). Wondering what it actually could be in the M800, after reading the previous posts regarding the vaccum pipe.
Old 24th May 2009, 00:04   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Pardon me for my ignorance, but the AC retrofitment (OE kit from Subros) on our M800 carb model has been working effectively till date. The dealership took an additional day, against the initial proposal of a 1-day job, providing a reason that they had to source a "switch" which was needed in carb models. I assumed then that it could be the FICD (Tata has it on the Indica, and had to retrofit the FICD on our Indica for compensating loss of power when the AC is switched on). Wondering what it actually could be in the M800, after reading the previous posts regarding the vaccum pipe.
yes its the FICD solenoid and the vacuum pump (pictured above)(with a vacuum tube leading from the pump to the solenoid) which need to be installed. The crappy ac workshop did not do this job.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks