Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 19:34   #1
BHPian

m800 AC retrofit and some questions

Hello all.. i heard somewhere on this forum that the heater needs to be taken out in order to fit the a/c evaporator? why is that if yes?

I saw that there are already 2 holes with rubber plugs in the firewall which should allow the a/c coils to pass through... Furthermore if the space is the problem then don't the cars that come with an a/c also have a heater installed?

Secondly, i searched for a tyre shop on the Goodyear website, and the nearest to my location is 'Tyre Clinic' at Janakpuri B Block, is the place good enough?, and are there better places in West Delhi that i can get the tyres from?

Thanks.
Old 25th December 2008, 02:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

First of, there is no heater in 800. except the original early AC models and some 5 speeds. Even if your 800 is dx and it had AC, most cases it didn't came with a heater coil in the first place.

Second, Heater inlet hole and AC cooling coil hole are at different places.

Third! if you retrofit bigger cooling coil (after market job using some national or sanden coils) there is no chance of fitting a heater coil later, as there is simply no space.
Old 25th December 2008, 11:23   #3
BHPian

SirAlec, i'm asking this cause there IS a heater in my car.... wudnt i have known if it wasnt there? what was the point of asking this ques then?
Old 25th December 2008, 23:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalck View Post
SirAlec, i'm asking this cause there IS a heater in my car.... wudnt i have known if it wasnt there? what was the point of asking this ques then?
What model year it is? any images of the bay where the pipes/hoses are.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:17   #5
BHPian

its a jan 2000 model..
Old 26th December 2008, 13:27   #6
BHPian

There are two hoses which go into the firewall from the engine. They carry coolant to the internal heater. One of these hoses had a coolant leak from where it was clamped on, i tightened it myself to fix it.

The temperature control dial on the dash regulates the hotness of the air, and the defrosters work like a charm in the cold mornings... so it would be a waste if the heater needs to be taken out when i get an a/c. :(
Old 27th December 2008, 00:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

So! Ok you have got yourself a heater in there.

So the answer is- No! you do not need to remove the heater to add a cooling coil (standard stock).

I have done that mod long ago. Mine was a 99STD carb. I added an AC and later a heater. You have seen the images right.?
Old 27th December 2008, 11:52   #8
BHPian

see the level of detail of my post made you agree!

i saw the pics of your overhaul, not of the heater and the cooling coils. so thats good news, did you have to do any modifications which the mechanic would not be willing to do to accomodate both the cooling coil and heater?
Old 27th December 2008, 16:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

i bought a heater coil of zen from kabadi. modded a lot.
main modification was to drill and weld two small pipes on coolant pipes to input hot coolant to the heater coil.
Old 28th December 2008, 08:46   #10
BHPian

ok so i wont have to do anything of that sort, since the heater is already installed, thanks for the help Alec...
Old 8th March 2009, 20:01   #11
BHPian

AC retrofit in 2000 M800, old or new/subros or sanden?

So with the summer just coming on to its full Delhi glory, i've decided to get an ac fitted in the m800 that i got last August.
After searching around the forum, i've found that the OE ac costs around 22k, while the Sanden one costs around 16k.

I inquired with a mechanic at the place where i get the car serviced, he said that i could go in for a second hand OE ac for around 10k instead for going in for a brand new one and put it in an 8 year old car, quite on the point.
I plan to keep the car for around 4-5 more years or longer if it continues to turn on . It can always serve the purpose of a standby car...

So what should I go in for?
The Sanden one, which i've seen on the net to overload the measly engine but will be new at around 17k,

or a new OE at 22k with warranty being designed for the 800 itself,

or a second hand ac... but i'm unsure how much old this will be, and what all will be the things to look out for!?

So you can see i'm quite stuck here... care to help out please?
any good deals available for a new OE ac in Delhi?
Old 7th April 2009, 14:58   #12
dineshtomar

m800 AC retrofit and some questions

i also got fitted my AC last year in M800 2003 which never worked properly ,gas eavaporate after some time .My car also had a bad phase last year. it went through th half head job for the starting problem in the morning. now i am confused whether to repair my AC or not . my car would be able to take the load of it or not . please help

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th April 2009 at 20:14. Reason: Please click on post quick reply and NOT report post, for posting a reply. Go through the announcements section also. Thanks

Old 15th April 2009, 19:34   #13
BHPian

Hi, I have a 2003 MPFI with a retrofitted Ac from Tanden.
Pros:
One thing I willl vouch for is that it reallly chills a lot. Regarding load on the car. It doesn't overload it much. Have driven at 130 straight with AC On and no vibrations and yet gave me a very good mileage.
Cons:
Since it is heavier than the OE Ac, the mounts of the bracket need to be bolted onto the Engine block. Make sure that you double bolt the front bracket and the rear bracket. Just today itself I had to remount the bracket by overhauling the engine since the bolt of one of the mounts had broken off inside the block (but that's another story). Therefore today I got them double bolted so that it won't break off any more.
Old 4th May 2009, 00:23   #14
BHPian

Installed AC with sanden 507 in M800 today, some questions

So i finally got an AC fitted in my 2000 carb m800 with a sanden 507 compressor today for 11500 bucks. The installation was very clean without any problems.

The stock 80 watts radiator fan has not being upgraded to 120 watts yet.
There is absolutely no overheating and the temperature needle stays in the mid position like it normally would, though i would change the fan to 120 watts tomorrow.
There is some power loss but its not so drastic that i feel gravely underpowered (apart from the fact that its underpowered already without an ac )
The condenser coil is of serpentine type and was installed in front of the radiator.

a) Now my question is, there is pretty cool air blowing out from the vents, but not so much as the air conditioners installed at my home or the AC in my dad's Verna. Is it supposed to be only this much cool?
The air is not 'chilling' to feel on the hands. Is the 80watts fan to blame here?

b) Furthermore is there no way for the engine idle rpm to increase automatically when i switch on the ac? The engine does not stall but starts vibrating when i switch on the ac while on idle, so have to press the gas pedal slightly to bring it to normal...

Can you help me with these doubts please? Thanks in advance
Old 4th May 2009, 00:54   #15
BANNED

First Get the radiator fan converted to 120 watts .Also you seem to have gone for front condenser now this will create problems when when you are in stop go traffic .Also regarding increase in RPM when switching on ac should not be a problem.There is a switch which automatically increases RPM .Now the evaporator you have got in the 800 is probably A6 .The installer should have told you to go with national or superking make one which is the best and truly worth the price.
Also since your car is more than 8 years old.Get the radiator checked whether it is same as that comes in m800 ac model.AC and NonAC carb models had two different radiators Nonac has 58 tubes with a fin pitch of 12mm and AC has 70 tubes with a fin pitch of 9.5mm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks