Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:45   #1
BHPian

Strange Noise from LHS front suspension Swift

HI All,

I am facing a strange problem from the front suspension (LHS) in the swift ZXI. Every time the car rides over a small crater ( Blore Roads) its makes a heavy metal to metal banging noise like a metal plate sitting on another. Strangely when both wheels go over any crater, the same noise is not heard. Also the vehicle feels a little uncomfortable on the braking issue since I have observed the sound. The vehicle makes a screeching noise every time the brakes are "jammed"

The vehicle has done just over 14K in 2.2 years and predominantly driven inside the city, no off roading as well. I had got the wheel aligned and balanced a couple of days before and the mechanic said the wheels looked fine. Just a thought that till date only the left front wheel had a puncture ( twice).

I had indicated to the service guy @ Mandovi JP Nagar last time @ service, but was told that every thing was normal. Also the sound was not to be heard for two days after service.

Confused !!
Old 4th January 2009, 00:08   #2
BHPian

i know what you are talking about. i faced the same problem. the mechanic tightened some bolt behind the wheel. dont remember whats it called but the issue was resolved.
its behind the disc, parallel to the ground. a small 3in long part that has bolts on either side. lift the car up on a lift and you can see it.
Old 4th January 2009, 07:27   #3
BHPian

Yeah, I had the same problem too, the mechanic tightened something and since then I have not observed it..but by God the car rattles !
Old 4th January 2009, 08:30   #4
BHPian

hi
pls check lower arm and tie rod end. possible tie rod being defective is high.
Old 4th January 2009, 19:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

do you hear any noise while turning.
Old 4th January 2009, 20:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
do you hear any noise while turning.
if you are hearing noise while turning then it could also be that the drive shaft has been damaged
Old 4th January 2009, 21:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

To me it looks something related to lower arms. My friend's Swift had same problem. But in case of lower arm play or something, the inner side of tyre will be chewed up if not checked. Any noticable drop in ride quality ? If so, get the lower arm replaced. Else dont worry, any mechanic will fix it.
Old 6th January 2009, 01:10   #8
BHPian

I have noticed that the overall ride quality is stiff, the car does not take well to the bumps. Is this also related to braking? I am quite scared to drive this since the car makes a screeching noise on small sudden braking.
Old 12th January 2009, 16:34   #9
BHPian

viana - any update on the fix?
Old 13th January 2009, 16:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viana
Hi Aerohit,

I am traveling and not around to have it checked. Need to take it to check on the same. The issues still remains.

Are you facing similiar issues ??
yes I have similar issue, but there is no sound as you say

In my case something feels lose on the left front side, there is a play and slight clunking feeling when going over rough rouds. Something is definitely broken. The Shock may be bad too.

Also, when i over sharp/small speedbumps and not slow down, there will be a "pop" sound from front suspension.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:11   #11
BHPian

Taking it to the mechanic today. lets c.... will lift it up and check if the bolt issue is correct. Will update you
Old 19th January 2009, 14:09   #12
BHPian

Don't let those lazy bums tell you that "nothing is wrong". They like to use that excuse to get away from work!

It sounds like a suspension component is loose. Just FYI - its possible that your car may require a re-alignment depending on the cause of your troubles. Make sure you bring this up when you talk to them.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by viana View Post
Taking it to the mechanic today. lets c.... will lift it up and check if the bolt issue is correct. Will update you
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:19   #13
BHPian

hi Viana, please update
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:00   #14
BHPian

exactly the same issue! Dont hear it normally, but when the front left wheel goes into deep potholes at 30-40kmph, there's this sickening 'thud'. Mine is a Oct 06 VXi.

Will ask MASS see if:
1. Bolt behind front disc can be tightened
2. Problem with suspension lower rod - tie-rod end
3. Strut bush kit
4. Stabilizer bar

hopefully, this would make me sound 'knowledgeable' enough for them to do a detailed inspection.The last time 'round, the SA said 'its normal sir'. On second thoughts, is this actually normal swift behaviour?

Also, I think all these parts are covered in EXTENDED WARRANTY. Could someone confirm please?

Last edited by d_himan : 2nd March 2009 at 16:07.
Old 4th March 2009, 19:36   #15
BHPian

Ok this may sound funny, my car ZXi has just done 1700 kms in not even a months time now and i have already done the first service which was due at 1000kms.

Now after the first service some funny kind of sounds i can hear from the dashboard and they are not regular. One is which comes right from the AC vent which is left to the driver side (front), and it makes a electic hizz sound and then goes away after some time. This is not even regular, may come one day and vanish for next couple of days and then suddenly will reappear.

Second is a sound which comes like a ringing metal, which is now becoming regular and today i got to hear a sound while going over the bad roads like of a thermocole being twisted..

All these are coming from the dasboard but are not regular.

I have once shown it to the service center supervisor but strangely and coincendently the sounds never appered when he was driving to check all these sounds.

So now i am in a dilema as to how to get them sorted out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks