Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 20:08   #1
BHPian

petrol smell coming during ignition in getz

hello all

our getz is 1.5 years old and has clocked around 8k.Car has been redularly serviced and oil also has been changed within stipulated periods.For the past two days petrol smell has been coming during ignition.I have checked the fuel tank cap and its perfectly closed,but still i could not find a reason for the smell nor there is any leakage below the car.Can somebody suggest wat other
alternatives to be checked for.
1.Its winter in chennai and temperatures around 20-25C-could this be a factor?
2.Can something be wrong with the engine oil?
3.There is no abnormal emission

pls guide on this

thanks
Old 20th January 2009, 20:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

is it when the car is running or when you have the ignition on but not yet cranked the engine??
this smell could be in a leak from the engine bay. Check near the fuel filter and inlet manifold area. A pipe might have cracked or be slightly loose.
Old 20th January 2009, 20:34   #3
BHPian

thnx.the smell comes only when the engine is switched on
Old 20th January 2009, 20:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

ok check the engine bay like I said .
Another thing pop the hood ONLY SWITCH ON IGNITION. Check the area I mentioned in my previous post
Old 20th January 2009, 21:21   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
ok check the engine bay like I said .
Another thing pop the hood ONLY SWITCH ON IGNITION. Check the area I mentioned in my previous post
thnx for ur suggestion.i wud also like to mention that the smell comes from the rear of the car and not in the front.shud i still chek on the engine bay?
Old 20th January 2009, 21:25   #6
BHPian

This could be a potentially hazardous - like a punctured fuel line.
It sounds like you're getting the smell right as the fuel pump is turned on?
Get this checked out ASAP!

In my friend's 1 year old car - his fuel line had been vibrating against another part under the hood the entire time and it literally rubbed itself open!
Old 20th January 2009, 22:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

did you just fill up the tank?
could be the over flow?
Old 20th January 2009, 23:23   #8
BHPian

I have been getting this same petrol smell in my Wagon-R since long back, may be around one year. Never bothered much as it would happen only when I cranked the engine. Is it really a problem? I have never faced any problem in my car so far.

May be next time I go to ***, I will bring it to the notice of the service person.
Old 20th January 2009, 23:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
hello all

our getz is 1.5 years old and has clocked around 8k.Car has been redularly serviced and oil also has been changed within stipulated periods.For the past two days petrol smell has been coming during ignition.I have checked the fuel tank cap and its perfectly closed,but still i could not find a reason for the smell nor there is any leakage below the car.Can somebody suggest wat other
alternatives to be checked for.
1.Its winter in chennai and temperatures around 20-25C-could this be a factor?
2.Can something be wrong with the engine oil?
3.There is no abnormal emission

pls guide on this

thanks
Its a documented Getz problem. Get your fuel pump checked.

Elito
Old 21st January 2009, 11:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post

Elito
thnx.if im not wrong,the fuel pump is at the front.but the smell comes from the rear on the right side whereas the fuel tank is on the left side
Old 21st January 2009, 11:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
thnx.if im not wrong,the fuel pump is at the front.but the smell comes from the rear on the right side whereas the fuel tank is on the left side
the fuel pump is at the rear. thats why u hear a slight noise from the rear for 2-3 secs when you just turn the ignition on.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

what about the breather pipe? a dirty/clogged breather pipe may cause this
Old 21st January 2009, 16:08   #13
BHPian

There is a confirmed defect in the design of the fuel pump assy of the getz .Few components of the same are being replaced by hyundai for free when the car comes in for service,My baby had a similiar problem few months ago,the approach to the HMASS at the time was dug up so I did a li'l tinkering of my own. In the pics following this text you can clearly see the leakage above the fuel pump assy which in turn was resulting in petrol vapours being sent into the car. My analysis is that the earlier design had the petrol outlet 'T' at a hgher angle and since it was right below the rear seat it must be buckling under pressure over a period of time,not very sure of this though. I had to drive the car with a leakage for a week as the service guy refused to do shop window sale,asking me to bring the car over,the road was in such bad shape at the time that if I'd driven down there,a lot of other stuff would have come apart on tha car !! So I zeroed down on the troublemaking part and had it shipped from the Pune dealer (Who happens to be a relative of a friend).

Coming back to the HMASS point,my car was replaced with the following parts for free last week :

Part Number Part Description

311160B000FFF Plate Fuel Pump Upper
311130B000FFF Bracket Assy Fuel Pump Upper
Attached Thumbnails
petrol smell coming during ignition in getz-p1000366_renamed_5426.jpg  

petrol smell coming during ignition in getz-p1000367_renamed_30210.jpg  

petrol smell coming during ignition in getz-p1000373_renamed_2374.jpg  

petrol smell coming during ignition in getz-p1000368_renamed_141.jpg  

Last edited by WasavaTyres : 21st January 2009 at 16:20. Reason: text added
Old 21st January 2009, 16:21   #14
BHPian

My Getz gives a petrol smell once it get started from cold and after that it is fine. I discoved this when i was taking it out the car last weekend but door was open. So i need to come out and close it. Not sure about this as my wife drives it mostly. I will check and update here. May be there is a problem which is discussed here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post

Elito
What do you meant by documented Getz problem. Is it a common problem with all Getz. My car is 1.5 years old and is in extended warranty

Last edited by aka_iitd : 21st January 2009 at 16:22.
Old 21st January 2009, 20:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
There is a confirmed defect in the design of the fuel pump assy of the getz .Few components of the same are being replaced by hyundai for free when the car comes in for service,My baby had a similiar problem few months ago,the approach to the HMASS at the time was dug up so I did a li'l tinkering of my own. In the pics following this text you can clearly see the leakage above the fuel pump assy which in turn was resulting in petrol vapours being sent into the car. My analysis is that the earlier design had the petrol outlet 'T' at a hgher angle and since it was right below the rear seat it must be buckling under pressure over a period of time,not very sure of this though. I had to drive the car with a leakage for a week as the service guy refused to do shop window sale,asking me to bring the car over,the road was in such bad shape at the time that if I'd driven down there,a lot of other stuff would have come apart on tha car !! So I zeroed down on the troublemaking part and had it shipped from the Pune dealer (Who happens to be a relative of a friend).

Coming back to the HMASS point,my car was replaced with the following parts for free last week :

Part Number Part Description

311160B000FFF Plate Fuel Pump Upper
311130B000FFF Bracket Assy Fuel Pump Upper
im sorry to ask this,im a novice and i dnt knw where the fuel pump is located.it wud be nice if u can guide me on how to chek the fuel pump,i mean, which part of the car do i open to chek the fuel pump or shud it be done only at the service station?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks