Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 10:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
The only thing I have to say is superchargers are not as bad as they are portrayed.
Kinda agree with you since Vortech came into the picture and changed perceptions on the centrifugal systems available in the market at that point. Especially for the lower capacity engines.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
see I am not here to argue which is better.
Neither am I chief. I am just pointing out which is the obvious better choice by quoting real world instances to the criteria you yourself posted before my post. I believe some of the points I raised have never been discussed on this forum before.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 25th March 2009 at 10:21.
Old 25th March 2009, 10:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Well Ananth,
what has cost got to do with it working good enough or no??

My statement says performance wise both are good. Now if an individual prefers a turbo or supercharger that is his choice. For this I have given the various criteria which clearly mentions: cost,application and tuner capability or preference

cheers
Old 25th March 2009, 19:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Ananth,
what has cost got to do with it working good enough or no??

My statement says performance wise both are good. Now if an individual prefers a turbo or supercharger that is his choice. For this I have given the various criteria which clearly mentions: cost,application and tuner capability or preference

cheers
Sure, but there is a cap on how much you can achieve with a supercharger, whereas on a turbo that cap is much, much higher.

Which do you think is the better performer in that case? Yeah, you're welcome
Old 25th March 2009, 20:30   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Psycho/Iceman,

Would you recommend:

1. NA mods(Phase 1,2,3) to up that power delivery, or
2. Just a supercharger onto an unmodified/Phase 1 modded NA car?

And, what would be the difference in drivability/power between 1 and 2 ?

Last edited by theMAG : 25th March 2009 at 21:09.
Old 26th March 2009, 10:20   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Sure, but there is a cap on how much you can achieve with a supercharger, whereas on a turbo that cap is much, much higher.

Which do you think is the better performer in that case? Yeah, you're welcome
I have yet to see the cap on the FI package limiting the mods. The cap is the engine in most cases.

Apologies accepted

Mahesh,
bhp wise FI will definitely give more power as compared to stage 1,2,3 mods, but the cost factor is to be considered as well as driver/owner preference.

Last edited by iceman91 : 26th March 2009 at 10:21.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:42   #37
BHPian

Is there any way we could find out what pulley sizes we should be running to generate a articular boost? As in some realtion between RPM and boost generated?
Old 1st April 2009, 14:56   #38
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
Is there any way we could find out what pulley sizes we should be running to generate a articular boost? As in some realtion between RPM and boost generated?
I love this topic, and find it difficult to keep my mouth shut,inspite of my ignorance, but....
isnt that going to vary from one supercharger model to the next? the original car's service manual should tell you what boost the charger is supposed to make at each rpm level. problem is, its going to give that info in terms of the original engine's rpm and not in terms of the supercharger's rpm.

and its not a linear relationship between rpm and boost produced, is it?
There are so many variables. looks like you have a lot of trial and error ahead of you.

Last edited by rippergeo : 1st April 2009 at 14:58.

Old 10th April 2009, 21:31   #39
BHPian

A generic formula I found on the net
This does not allow for other losses.

((Super Charger Disp/(1/2 Engine Displacement)) * Ratio * 14.7) - 14.7 = Boost Pressure

Ratio is the ratio of SC pulley diameter to drive diameter

Source - Supercharger Boost Calculation - HybridZ

Another formula I found to calculate crank pulley size

((((((engine capacity (in litres) * Max engine RPM) / 2) * ((Desired Boost level + 14.7) / 14.7)) / supercharger output (in litres)) / MAX engine RPM) * shaft pulley size (inches))

From - 2007 April Supercharged Camira..

Last edited by Harrie : 10th April 2009 at 21:33.
Old 11th April 2009, 16:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Any problems arise with SC usage on a diesel? Turbo or SC you are going to have to get more fuel out of the fuel pump to maintain a good fuel/air ratio. The seat of the pants method is to get a pyrometer, watch the temperature and adjust the fuel pump accordingly. There has to be a better way. ????

I am thinking of putting a SC or a bigger turbo, with intercooler, in a mdi3200tc motor from Mahindra. I have not bought the vehicle yet but it is a Bolero camper 4x4.
Old 12th April 2009, 02:27   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Any problems arise with SC usage on a diesel? Turbo or SC you are going to have to get more fuel out of the fuel pump to maintain a good fuel/air ratio. The seat of the pants method is to get a pyrometer, watch the temperature and adjust the fuel pump accordingly. There has to be a better way. ????
AFR meter? O2 sensor?
Old 12th April 2009, 04:19   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
AFR meter? O2 sensor?
The issue with lambda tuning for AFRs for a diesels is the fact that the wideband sensor needs to be stuck up the backside of the car (the end muffler I mean) which may provide near-accurate AFRs at WOT but the situation is vastly different when at lower rpms/part throttle comes into play. I've seen AFRs jump from 11s to 23s from WOT to waiting at a traffic light respectively- figures for a petrol turbo; which just goes to show how things can go wrong if one trusts the AFR readouts alone.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

In plain English gentlemen !! Which of the 2 is more efficient as in cost to power ratio ?

That is what I have been thinking

I do not understand so much technical jargon, for a man off the street, which is more cost effective & less troublesome in day to day use ?

Would sincerely appreciate an answer to that !

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 12th April 2009 at 20:35.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:21   #44
BHPian

If you can find a good enough SC second hand and like a linear power delivery and dont have plans for more power later, it might make sense to go for a SC. As I see it in my case its cheaper to SC as I got one free. Now all I need to do is the pipings and divertor valve. I can get away without having a IC also for my planned boost levels.

Also one good thing about SC is if you are a novice driver like me, then it might just be easy to drive a 300bhp fwd SC car than a similar TCed car.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:31   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
for a man off the street, which is more cost effective & less troublesome in day to day use ?
Ricky it would depend on the kit and the ease of tuning for that particular engine type and most of all the driving style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks