Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 08:08   #61
Senior - BHPian

1973 Chevy Camaro - Project Car - Hot Rod Magazine

Check the related articles box for more.

Youtube clip showcasing the build :

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 16th April 2009 at 08:13.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
I dont really give a rolling donut about that . Just dont want newbies thinking supercharger=turbocharger which its clearly not in my experience. Try both and you'll come back with the same "opinionated" view of FI.
Anand am I right to say go for the SC if

1. Like me you get the SC really cheap
2. You dont want to upgrade at all ( for more power )

Go for the turbo otherwise.
Old 17th April 2009, 00:41   #63
Senior - BHPian

Oh the F-Bomb. Yeah well, 1500 crank from a twin-turbo V8 is all fine, but I would hesitate to accept someone who thinks American V8s are the bees' knees as a source of knowledge.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Ananth,
I did not know that we had to get newbies to think like the way we do. Last time I checked this was a forum not a school.

I expressed my views on the SC not start a whos is bigger contest.

am off this thread
Cheers
Old 17th April 2009, 11:18   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
supercharger=turbocharger
Lets lay off on this as each has its own merits and demerits. But Amit is right in a way as there exist superchargers that can produce upto 32 psi @ 60000 RPM, flow about 2000 cfm and can support applications upto 1450 HP and they are available in the centrifugal types today.

As for linear delivery of power is a typical characteristic of superchargers but in case of turbo's it is dependent on the choice of the turbo and the tune.
Old 17th April 2009, 12:08   #66
BHPian

Is there a relationship between engine displacement and the choice of FI to be used. Superchargers are most often used on high displacement engines, does it mean SC have less efficiency on smaller displacement engines like our standard 1.6L compared to a 3.2L. Conversely Smaller high revving engines like the japs mostly use turbochargers.
Linear delivery I agree is a strong point in favor of SC, but what about heat? For the same volume of air compressed how does SC and turbo chargers fare? From my theoratical knowledge, i believe turbo chargers add more heat to the system .. thereby need for bigger intercoolers for higher boost. Is this a point to be considered?
why are most diesel engines turbo charged rather than being supercharged. Wont Supercharging provide better results in a diesel engine compared to turbocharging in terms of lag, heat etc..
Old 17th April 2009, 12:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazikon View Post
Is there a relationship between engine displacement and the choice of FI to be used. Superchargers are most often used on high displacement engines, does it mean SC have less efficiency on smaller displacement engines like our standard 1.6L compared to a 3.2L. Conversely Smaller high revving engines like the japs mostly use turbochargers.
Linear delivery I agree is a strong point in favor of SC, but what about heat? For the same volume of air compressed how does SC and turbo chargers fare? From my theoratical knowledge, i believe turbo chargers add more heat to the system .. thereby need for bigger intercoolers for higher boost. Is this a point to be considered?
why are most diesel engines turbo charged rather than being supercharged. Wont Supercharging provide better results in a diesel engine compared to turbocharging in terms of lag, heat etc..
Well Mercedes uses Kompessor on their smallest engines as well. C180K is 1.6L Supercharged, C200K is 1.8L Supercharged, while C300, C350 are not supercharged but much larger engines...
So, I don't think this is the case, or ?

Since Turbo works off exhaust gases, it does not consume any part of the engine power produced, while the supercharger uses a part of the engine power (while providing a higher power boos)...
Old 17th April 2009, 16:38   #68

Fixed displacement vs centrifugal

One small point that might be interesting. A roots type supercharger has a fixed displacement per revolution. So it is very linear in air delivery while centrifugal superchargers and turbochargers have an inherent non linearity in the air delivered (technically, air delivered is proportional to square of RPM).

To the enthusiast, the roots also has one more advantage. Boost delivery starts at idle, unlike centrifugal superchargers and turbochargers which need to spool up.

My two cents - A roots or screw type supercharger makes more sense in normal driving while a centrifugal supercharger or a turbocharger makes more sense if you are looking at top end speed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks