Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2005, 14:22   #1
BHPian

FE Measurement - Clinical method and Practical Method

We all have been discussing about FE and what we get and what we have achieved in our machine... but are we all following the same method of calculating FE...

Can the Experts tell me:

1) What is the clinical method of calculating FE - as in the method used by car companies

2) What is the most practical method used and more importantly the correct?

Most people i guess use the full tank to full tank method.. but even that quite a few "Errors"

Your views...
Old 13th May 2005, 14:54   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

The method that a Hyundai guy had told me was that they tank up the car, drive it for around 25-30kms at a constant speed & then tank up again. This he told me was how Hyundai had told them to calculate the mileage. This does sound like a very accurate method. What most of us do is the tank to tank method which does give a rough idea about the mileage.
Old 13th May 2005, 15:05   #3
BHPian

going further basic - how do u define a full tank- wud it be the first instance that the automatic filler pump stops because of the fuel reaching a certain level of the nozzle or would it be filling to the brim.. frankly each fuel bunk has its own interpretation of a " Full tank bhar dena"!!

cheers
Old 13th May 2005, 15:09   #4
Team-BHP Support

I personally shake my indica(much to the amusement of onlookers) when the guy fills in. So my tankfull is actually tankfull.
Old 13th May 2005, 15:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
I personally shake my indica(much to the amusement of onlookers) when the guy fills in. So my tankfull is actually tankfull.
AAAAP MAHHAAAN HO!!!!!
Old 13th May 2005, 15:21   #6
BHPian

The absolute clinical method would be to mount the engine on a dyno and connect the fuel lines through a burette and check the consumption. Normally FE calculations are done in different ways like

1. FE as a function of engine speed
2. FE as a function of load on the engine at a constant speed
3. FE as a function of the distance covered (kmpl) - this cannot be done accurately on the dyno as it is pretty tough to reflect actual world conditions but it is nevertheless possible with a computer dynamically changing the load on the engine to simulate actual conditions.

If you want to check the FE on road, then on method would be to route the fuel lines through a flow meter and check how much of fuel has been consumed. Of course there will be some errors again but this is the closest to being accurate.

Or get yourself a Skoda or Mercedes, put your trust on german engineering and take the FE values from the MID.
Old 13th May 2005, 15:24   #7
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I do this......
Old 13th May 2005, 15:55   #8
bhp
BHPian

Quote:

even i do the same ....
Old 13th May 2005, 19:01   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to and still do at times but my dad was like stop acting like an idiot so i was like fine whatever.
Old 13th May 2005, 19:44   #10
BHPian

Most pump attendants would do that for you when you ask them for tankful, only if you allow them...
Old 13th May 2005, 20:03   #11
BANNED

IMHO you should not do such a thing as if slightly misjudged the fuel will leak out and spill and hence wasting. I do auto tank up. which i feel is the best.
Old 13th May 2005, 21:00   #12
c10
BHPian

i usually calculate FE by
Total Distance Covered divided by no. of ltrs of fuel filled...
Old 13th May 2005, 21:29   #13
BHPian

i first empty the whole tank including the fuel kept in reserve then fill a certain amount of petrol such as 10 ltrs and then divide it by the kms covered
Old 13th May 2005, 21:47   #14
BANNED

Hey kooldude how did you do that?? Which car?
Old 14th May 2005, 00:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
What most of us do is the tank to tank method which does give a rough idea about the mileage.

but then this depends on how do u fill it.even when u fill to the brim,you are not sure of the exact amt of fuel filled in as there can still be air trapped inside.

so the ebst way is to fill fuel only till where the fuel nozzle allows u to.this will give you a more accurate figure.

also checking the FE after longer intervals say about 200-250kmsgives more accurate figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooldude
i first empty the whole tank including the fuel kept in reserve then fill a certain amount of petrol such as 10 ltrs and then divide it by the kms covered

how do you know that your fuel tank is almost empty and how the f*** do u calculate the amt of fuel that is remaining.

dude,by running your car dry,ur fuel pump can be ruined.avoid doing that.and try to keep as much fuel as possible in your tank.

Last edited by speedsatya : 14th May 2005 at 00:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks