Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2009, 04:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
dont worry. it was probably a strong gust of wind.
Yes,in all probability,this must have been the case,or the car may have passed over an irregularity/metal reflectors/depression on the road and hence you momentarily lost control.
And no,unlike others,i will disagree with the fact that on highways (not winding roads) the stock tyres of fiesta are not enough for safe cruising.
However,your car being new,you should refrain from pushing it hard atleast till the second service has been done.
So,dont worry,drive safe and your car in all probabilty is free from any kind of trouble.

Regards.

Note from Mods : Please use a space after punctuation marks. Take a look at this thread (Expected Posting Etiquette) for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th April 2009 at 12:11. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 15th April 2009, 07:18   #32
BHPian

Strong winds it is...this normally happens in the afternoons & evenings. Fiesta is a relatively light car, so cross winds has to be the reason. Also add overtaking large busses, trucks etc. to the list of possible sway inducing phenomenon.
Old 15th April 2009, 07:27   #33
BANNED

Are all Fords prone to this swaying? Someone I know is thinking of a Fiesta - should I warn him?

Last edited by hrag : 15th April 2009 at 07:36.
Old 15th April 2009, 07:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Are all Fords prone to this swaying?
No.A better statement will be "All light cars are prone to this swaying at high speeds''. Be it due to crosswinds or due to the pressure generated by a larger vehicle like bus and all at high speeds.
Coming,to fords,rather fords have good dynamics and are good on the handling front,they usually stick to their lines and provide a very good feedback from the steering.I am talking about the Ikon and Fiestas here,both of which are great handlers,and IMHO,ikon a little more sharper a handler than the fiesta albeit with more pronounced body roll but still.

Regards.
Old 15th April 2009, 08:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Please let us know where exactly did this happen, if you remember that is. Maybe someone else would have something to share, later on.
Old 15th April 2009, 08:55   #36
BHPian

This is actually called Wind Shear. This is what most of the pilots are afraid of around the world during take off and landing. This is due to the difference in the wind speed and direction in a short distance. Although it is not common at these low levels of altitude, it is not an impossible phenomenon. Don't worry this is a very rare thing to happen at the road levels !!
Old 15th April 2009, 10:11   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
This is actually called Wind Shear. This is what most of the pilots are afraid of around the world during take off and landing. ...
I am sure whoever experienced swaying was not trying to take off or land. Wind Shear has nothing to do with it! In fact, wind shear cannot occur at road level, even if the road is at 2000m above MSL.

As has been mentioned by many earlier in this thread, cross-winds (winds blowing across the road) and wake from larger vehicles can cause a bit of swaying, even in sedans and hatchbacks. This is not dangerous but can cause a scare or definitely discomfort for people experiencing it for the first time. The next time around one is able to tackle it by not doing much (or anything) since the feeling is not strange.

Other than an occasional toppling of (2 wheeled) trailers, accidents can happen under such circumstances only if one is not driving cautiously (hands not properly on steering, not concentrating on driving especially when driving fast, not familiar with the dynamics of the vehicle etc.). Also, an accident will happen quite likely by the driver's wrong corrective action, and not due to the vehicle.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I personally feel the Pune lonavala section is particularly bad from the toll to the start of the ghats, always felt the car moves around a bit in this stretch.
Yes, this is the area particularly lonavala to first tunnel toward pune.
strong crosswind at this stretch may cause car shift.
Old 15th April 2009, 10:46   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
This is actually called Wind Shear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
...wind shear cannot occur at road level
Er... oh... ok, it's not this wind, it's that wind. So long as we're not discussing the THIRD wind! The odoriferous kind... Aaha! Understood... THIS wind made the Fiesta sway - the third wind would make drivers and passengers sway - and swoon.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:15   #40
BHPian

Hi ,

Yes may be you have got the reason right , i was overtaking one scorpio indeed. But he was very stable.

regrads

amol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Strong winds it is...this normally happens in the afternoons & evenings. Fiesta is a relatively light car, so cross winds has to be the reason. Also add overtaking large busses, trucks etc. to the list of possible sway inducing phenomenon.
Hi ,

Oh i thought it's ok to drive fast after the first service , i had asked about it to the sales guy at shaman and he confirmed that it's ok to to drive as fast as one could even before the first service. Please let me know what max. speed should one maintain before the second service and the reason behind it thanks !

regards
amol

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Yes,in all probability,this must have been the case,or the car may have passed over an irregularity/metal reflectors/depression on the road and hence you momentarily lost control.
And no,unlike others,i will disagree with the fact that on highways (not winding roads) the stock tyres of fiesta are not enough for safe cruising.
However,your car being new,you should refrain from pushing it hard atleast till the second service has been done.
So,dont worry,drive safe and your car in all probabilty is free from any kind of trouble.

Regards.
Hi ,

I have bought fiesta becasue i love my ikon's stability which i still have as second car. Yes i fully agree that fords are very stable cars but then that is why i got disturbed .. how could my ford do this to me?

thanks for your inputs !
regrads

amol

Quote:
No.A better statement will be "All light cars are prone to this swaying at high speeds''. Be it due to crosswinds or due to the pressure generated by a larger vehicle like bus and all at high speeds.
Coming,to fords,rather fords have good dynamics and are good on the handling front,they usually stick to their lines and provide a very good feedback from the steering.I am talking about the Ikon and Fiestas here,both of which are great handlers,and IMHO,ikon a little more sharper a handler than the fiesta albeit with more pronounced body roll but still.

Regards.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th April 2009 at 12:04. Reason: back to back posts
Old 15th April 2009, 11:30   #41
BHPian

Hi ,

I have posted a lot about fiesta and have compared it to Ikon in my posts. This swaying should not govern your friends decision. It's a nice car and if you love speed and great interiors then this is it for you. I know it does not look as modern / sylish / sporty as the ANHC but the once you step inside it's miles ahead of the ANHC. I would buy the fiesta again to ANHC if ford could do little changes which i love in my ikon such as better suspension , precise steering control , better ground clearance and the cost of course !

regards

amol

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Are all Fords prone to this swaying? Someone I know is thinking of a Fiesta - should I warn him?
Hi ,

Thanks for you mail. The speed thrils but kills , yes i agree , i never take risks while driving but i dunno why when i am on the express highway and when the road is almost empty i tend to kind of get reckless and drive fast till i start getting scarred or feel the discomfort. In my ikon i never used to drive faster than 130 km/ hr. In fiesta 150 km/ hr was stable but now as you have said i am making a point not to cross my limits , thanks for advise and good to know that you care for stargers like mylsef , have a great and safe drive all your life !

regads

amol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharps View Post
Was it stock MRF tyres? Then tramlining is unlikely. Crosswinds are the most likely reason.

Besides the point, but I also agree with some people here who have said that 150 kmph is outside the safety window - leave alone a fiesta.

Hi ,

yes i agree and you are right better not to test our luck and stay well wihtin the speed limit of 120 kms or even less

regards

amol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Yes, this is the area particularly lonavala to first tunnel toward pune.
strong crosswind at this stretch may cause car shift.
Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts

Last edited by khan_sultan : 15th April 2009 at 12:05. Reason: back to back posts
Old 15th April 2009, 11:46   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Further correction to the statement:
1. Light cars ( m.. using the same term) are more prone to swaying due to pressure generated by a larger Vehicle like bus than a heavy car. ( Alto, Zen )
2. Light cars with high GC & more surface area on the sides are prone to both crosswinds & pressure by other vehicles. ( Santro, estilo)

Now the answer to the question:

Fiesta has a good combination of low GC, overall stance & balance; the thread starter has mentioned that it happened for a moment only, thus ruling out strong winds etc.
This is definitely a case of road surface irregularily, the top most layer of pavement surface comprises 50mm thick BC over the DBM layer ( Dense Bituminous macadam). The paver machine has a standard width which causes the layer to be laid longitudinaly parallel to the road. Sometimes, a minor gap or drop/ rise in the thickness of two adjoining layers exists due to negligence of contractor.
At lower speed such flaws will not be felt much but at speeds of 150 kmph, anything abnormal will run through your spine.

Just my two cents.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:14   #43
Team-BHP Support

Either you tramlined, or it was crosswind. Nothing wrong with the car.
At 150kmph even a minor gust caused by the slipstream of another vehicle is enough to unsettle the car.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:33   #44
BHPian

thanks

Hi ,

thanks , good to know that there are people like me who know how superiror ford cars are compared to other manufacturers. BUt still i think they are not as reliable as maruti cars. I had used esteem for 7 years and never had to change any major part. Ikon required exhaust assembly replacement due to corrosion , engine coil failed , ac motor failed all within 4 years and less than 25000 kms travelled.

regards

amol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ford's cars come with intermittent quality at best. Though their reliability / precision rates are far superior to our two home manufacturers, the odd part failure is not that uncommon.

The good news is : The worst is probably behind you. I don't think you should expect trouble anymore. But yes, do opt in on an extended warranty package. Peanuts in exchange of the peace of mind you get.
Old 17th April 2009, 10:38   #45
BHPian

how much is the run in period ?

Hello ,

How many kms is the run in period ?

amol
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I've done 170 on the expressway for a minute or so, but maintained 140 to 150 on most of it during my drive from Mumbai to Hyd in Dec, 2007, and I faced no issues whatsoever with my Fiesta 1.6 sxi.
It could be an undulation on the road surface that caused it. Please don't rip your car during the run in period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks