Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 16:05   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with the conclusion that insufficient air is the culprit. Could it be due to faulty temp or Oxygen sensor? Air filter being already taken care of.
Also as some one else suggested diesels need a long high speed run once a while to clean out the exhaust. I saw this in Qualis (it hardly smoked) if it was run within city stop and go traffic for a few days and then was pushed. But the smoke cleared up after a while.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:18   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

@Invisible, thanks for the detailed description of the importance of cold air. I know it too. but, the viva engine bay is so small, it is very difficult to fit a custom air intake. Absolutely no space, but with some struggle maybe it can be fitted. Will explore this avenue.

@Sudev, thanks. I guess need to stretch its legs a bit on the highway. Makes sense.

Thanks to all you good people for you invaluable advice

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th April 2009 at 16:20.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dude since you have been advised to stretch your Lal Pari's (Thats the name I have given it) wings, I suggest your active participation on the Suryalanka Trip.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:56   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Dude since you have been advised to stretch your Lal Pari's (Thats the name I have given it) wings, I suggest your active participation on the Suryalanka Trip.
Sure Man, It will be there for sure.

Btw, i prefer my Viva to be called as "Red Beast" and my i10 as " White Angel"
Old 14th April 2009, 16:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Invisible, thanks for the detailed description of the importance of cold air. I know it too. but, the viva engine bay is so small, it is very difficult to fit a custom air intake. Absolutely no space, but with some struggle maybe it can be fitted. Will explore this avenue.

@Sudev, thanks. I guess need to stretch its legs a bit on the highway. Makes sense.

Thanks to all you good people for you invaluable advice
Could you post a pic of the engine bay, may be of help to understand how it could be done.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
get the Green Green Cotton Storm CAI should help by leaps and bounds, the air sucked by this stock filter box is simply not enough for your PETE's and 195 profile tyres coupled with Heavy acceleration.
I agree with this. Just get a better CAI.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Could you post a pic of the engine bay, may be of help to understand how it could be done.
Will try getting a picture in soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Yup. Looks like this could be the main culprit. But, i am in no mood to spend another 7K for it. Replacement filter is hardly 3 months old and got it for 4.5K, what do i do with it then?
Old 14th April 2009, 19:57   #23
BHPian

I believe either your EGR is chocked, or the thick pipe leading to the intake manifold (black one...i forget the name) has lots of oil in it. Remove the pipe, put a finger & check. Some oil is usually present...if a LOT is present, your turbo is leaking. If your mileage is 70000 & above, then DEFINATELY get your turbo check by an authorised A.S.S. with scan tool.
Old 14th April 2009, 20:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a pete's box on my Accent Viva CRDi since last 8-9 months. Initially, the smoke was never noticeable and as time passed, it started becoming more noticeable.

I spot that under sudden accelaration there is a huge cloud of black smoke that erupts which is becoming a cause of embarrasement.
N ot a problem at all

CLean your filter every 5k .. or even sooner if you have been thru some rather dusty environs.

Check for leaks around the filter - NO dust/dirt should be visible on the upper surface.

Get the A.S.S to blow some compressed air on the MAF.

Do these three things and watch the magic!
Old 14th April 2009, 20:48   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
I believe either your EGR is chocked, or the thick pipe leading to the intake manifold (black one...i forget the name) has lots of oil in it. Remove the pipe, put a finger & check. Some oil is usually present...if a LOT is present, your turbo is leaking. If your mileage is 70000 & above, then DEFINATELY get your turbo check by an authorised A.S.S. with scan tool.
Thanks for the input. Will check the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
N ot a problem at all

CLean your filter every 5k .. or even sooner if you have been thru some rather dusty environs.

Check for leaks around the filter - NO dust/dirt should be visible on the upper surface.

I was wondering you haven't shared your inputs yet

Thanks for the confidence building statement. Btw, what is MAF?

So are you basically saying i need not change to a CAI? That would be a relief coming from someone who has the same car with same settings.

EDIT: I notice that the smoke comes only if the AC is switched on. If the AC is not switched on the smoke is considerably considerably LOW

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th April 2009 at 20:52.
Old 14th April 2009, 22:09   #26
BHPian

oh and i thought that your petefied Viva was smokin other cars left, right and center...and you had problem with that
Old 14th April 2009, 23:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yash, thanks for this great idea. But, why do i get the feeling that you give ideas which always lighten the wallet?

Jokes apart, i think the following are in store for my red beast

1. Clean Airfilter
2. Clean the injectors and exhaust in next service
3. Finally, if i am still left with some dough, then reward myself with a STORM

Makes sense?
Oooho ho ho, you are making me say i told you so!, but yes i did tell you so even before you bought your filter, that stock replacement is JUST not going to do JUSTICE for our style of RIDING, coupled with 195s and other loads!!!. Boss i was serious enough when i adviced you.

You know i have used a K&N and then changed to Green and been using this free air intake for more than 2 years now!

IMHO even the STROM with a pete's just doesnt supply enough air! (restricts a little in My Opinion, the bigger KN i had was better with nice Roar as well), thats exactly the reason i want you to purchase the Equalent of the K&N posted below from Green cotton.
Should cost you 6000 bucks not 7K!.

RE-0950 - K&N Universal Air Filters, Universal Rubber Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Agree with the conclusion that insufficient air is the culprit. Could it be due to faulty temp or Oxygen sensor? Air filter being already taken care of.
Also as some one else suggested diesels need a long high speed run once a while to clean out the exhaust. I saw this in Qualis (it hardly smoked) if it was run within city stop and go traffic for a few days and then was pushed. But the smoke cleared up after a while.
Avi bhai you need a long highway trip with your new airfilter, You dont need to spend on the Injector cleaning or the Exhaust cleaning, all that would be wasting money man.

Quote:
You have seen my Engine Bay and you have seen the way i have fixed it, check out my gallery mate for the older K&N fitment, and i shall post the pics of the Green CAI too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
IMO thats one thing the RED Beast needs and it will solve all the other problems mate.

Quote:
Will try getting a picture in soon.

Yup. Looks like this could be the main culprit. But, i am in no mood to spend another 7K for it. Replacement filter is hardly 3 months old and got it for 4.5K, what do i do with it then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
N ot a problem at all

Quote:

So are you basically saying i need not change to a CAI? That would be a relief coming from someone who has the same car with same settings.

EDIT: I notice that the smoke comes only if the AC is switched on. If the AC is not switched on the smoke is considerably considerably LOW

Dude what KB100 suggested is a temorary thingy, in the long run you will end up with way more sooth DEPOSITS in the engine due to unburnt Diesel and the Exhaust too. I wouldnt recommend that, although just wait and sell your current stock replacement filter, it fits both PETROL and DIESEL accents they both have the same boxes if i am not wrong! For now clean your stock replacement filter at around 2500kms.

selling it away shouldnt be an issue, and this time please listen to me buy a bigger filter than the Storm for this beast. like the one i suggested above and you will have your nirvana!!!

EDIT: Hell if the Golecha and sons representing the Petes in Hyd cant fix the new conical filter or CAI for you come over to my place and i will do some DIY, I now know which vehicle's pipe i need to buy to fix the conical filter and the other things shouldnt be an issue at all fixing it! and the cost of all this DIY fixing will be a fraction of what they LOOT us for the bend pipe, stuff and what not!!!

Last edited by rider60 : 14th April 2009 at 23:36.
Old 15th April 2009, 00:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dont worry about the AC - it just signifies more load. Mass Flow Sensor or mass Air Flow Sensor is a sensor that detects the amount of air/oxygen available. You will find this sitting right where the plumbing from the engine connects to the air filter box. both when our filter is unclean, or the sensor is dirty, it reads less oxygen and dumps more fuel to compensate - this leads to smoke.

I will not recommend a STORM kind of filter in a diesel engine - esp Accent/Elantra. Given the space it will be less effective than your stock replacement filter - please bear in mind that diesels run much hotter, and also the fact that this has been experimented with and discarded (in favour of the stock replacemnt filter).
Old 15th April 2009, 01:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

I agree with all those comments made here.
I definitely feel its got to be your EGR valve and the intake manifold that is choked. Once it's cleaned you would see the difference it makes in power, mileage and smoke.

Here is one site which has all the details on the VW diesel cars. Just to let you know how bad it can get with the carbon.

Cleaning the intake manifold of carbon build up Difficulty

When I got my EGR cleaned the pick up was way better than even compared to the 1st few days of getting the remap done which i got it done at 5000kms. Also since my car is yet under warranty it was taken care without me getting charged for it.

I am using the Green Storm Filter but with a custom intake and would vouch on it, it has made hell of a difference. Not faced any issue with it. It's just not about the size of the filter, its also about the velocity of air, which plays a very important role in getting better low end and top end grunt.

If you can post the pic of engine bay will be easier to decide as to what option you have.

Here are the pics (just for illustration purpose) of the choked EGR valve and my custom intake. Will be redoing the intake with shorten length.
Attached Thumbnails
Pete'd Viva CRDi: Smoking All !!!-egr-valce.jpg  

Pete'd Viva CRDi: Smoking All !!!-.jpg  

Old 15th April 2009, 01:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey Avi, get the air filter cleaned, and MAF cleaned. this should give you a difference.
By way the if your running the box on the highest setting CAI is a good idea.Have found a big differnce with this on a swift.
PS: How many KM has the engine completed? get the engine flushed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks