Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Odometer Reset - 5009 to 33 kms

Hi,
My Swift recently completed 5k kms, and since the 2nd service was done, I thought of putting in the Green Cotton Wind filter. Took the car to EVO for the installation. I'd read that its reqd to reset the ECU during the installation and hence the battery terminal was disconnected.

After the installation, I switch on the ignition and to my shock, see that the Odometer now displays 33 kms. After driving down for 1 km or so, the battery terminal was disconnected again and the odo again got reset to 33 kms.

I've removed the Green Cotton and put back the Stock filter. Since the 2nd service was done only last week, I decided not to approach any MASS in Bangalore, and drove back to Chennai today. Called up CARS India, and spent 10 mins to explain them that I AM NOT talking about the tripmeter. Since the OMR center was off, I took it to the LB Road workshop.

The MASS guy hardly raised a brow when I told him. Instead he tells me to add up the current reading with 5009 and continue driving (I'll deduct 33 anyways lol). But that is not what I want, for I dont want anyone to get a feeling that the meter is tampered. Also in future, if I remove the battery again, the Odo might reset to 33 kms again. I'm planning to take it to the OMR CARS India outlet.

Anyone else faced similar problems with their digital Odos ? MASS told me that they'll replace the speedometer console if the problem persists. But is there anyway MASS can help me get my actual Odo figures back ?
Fountainheader is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well someone told me that while selling used cars dealers usually change the DIGITAL ODO readings. It costs 1200 bucks but i am not sure if its true or not.
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked with EVO why did that happened? I guess that CARS India will have some records showing the actual odometer reading while the car got delivered. I really doubt whether your original reading will be back. Even if CARS get that done for you, how do you ensure that it does not happen again upon reinstallation of GC.

Personally even I would like to retain my actual reading 'n' do not want either to add up or reduce
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Well someone told me that while selling used cars dealers usually change the DIGITAL ODO readings. It costs 1200 bucks but i am not sure if its true or not.
abhi,
I searched for the same here, and have read posts where members have mentioned the procedure and the cost etc. Guess it costs anywhere from 1200-2000. But I don't to approach such stuff. Modifications Yes but tampering is big No No.

All I want from Maruti is to just get me the Odo reset to somewhere close to 6000.

Surprise,
I did check with EVO and called up vikram_d too asking the same. But no one has any idea. For just disconnecting the battery terminal will in no way cause the Odo to reset. And other than that, nothing else was needed to install the Green Cotton.

So if I ask them to replace the speedometer console, will they document the same somewhere in the service manual ?

Last edited by Fountainheader : 3rd May 2009 at 17:32.
Old 3rd May 2009, 17:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Guess FH, you vehicle will remain "young" for ever!

I can understand if it resets to "0", but why "33"? Whats with that number?

And I do not think that there is a problem with the speedometer.

Question to all: Isn't the number stored in the ECU? And does not the speedometer just displays the number as told by ECU?

If someone can confirm the above, then FH, you know where to look.

And say, from where did you pick up your car? Who was your selling dealer?
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:47   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian

This case really puzzles me. As HW has asked, why does the odo go back to 33 kms and not 0? I have heard stories of people tampering digital odos at the time of selling the car. They say fiddling with a few fueses in the main fuse box can reset the odo.

The question that I want answered is that what if once is recalibirating the ECU, then will the odo reset to 0?

Cheers,
gpa
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Even I am wondering about the 33 km figure. I asked MASS and they have no clue.

I took the delivery from Kapico, and the odo count at the time of delivery was 42. AFAIK, the ECU has nothing to do with the Odo count, but I maybe wrong here.

Anyways I'll take the car to CARS India tomm. I've read in one post, where removing some fuse basically makes the Odo run. Not sure if its in reverse or forward. But dont want to fiddle with such stuff now.
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Don't panic - thhere are three odo readings.

First is the permanant one which never resets
the other two are both trip meters which can be reset and die when the batery is disconnected. Press the stalk next to the odo meter and check
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Don't panic - thhere are three odo readings.

First is the permanant one which never resets
the other two are both trip meters which can be reset and die when the batery is disconnected. Press the stalk next to the odo meter and check
Hi ajmat,
I am aware of the A & B tripmeters.

As I had mentioned, when I called up MASS I had to convince them that I am talking about the Odo itself and not the tripmeters.
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

The odometer readings are stored in the speedometer cluster and not in the ECM. I know this cause my car lost 28k kms when the fuel gauge failed and the cluster had to be replaced.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
1200!!?? That is way too much. A friend here who sold his Accent CRDi got it done for 150 bucks. Somewhere at sec-41 I guess.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The odometer readings are stored in the speedometer cluster and not in the ECM. I know this cause my car lost 28k kms when the fuel gauge failed and the cluster had to be replaced.
This is something which i have also noticed , if any one meter in the cluster goes kaput the entire instrument cluster needs to be replaced in new cars.

And with it the ODO reading also get reset , yesterday i noticed an accident verna being repaired and it had done about 25k km on the odo but they put in the cluster and bingo it gets reset.

But @ FH i don't have a clue as to why the ODO in you case got reset , when the battery was disconnected, all probability could be an issue with the instrument cluster.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Alright. So how does this work ? Say I get the cluster replaced, and Odo gets changed. So do they document the same ? I am very finicky about such issues. Not that I am highly bothered about the resale, just that I want the car to be tamper-proof And damn! I was waiting to put up a long term ownership report once I complete 10k kms lol

During the Green Cotton installation, they removed the +ve terminal of the battery. But I dont think that should be any reason for the same.
Old 3rd May 2009, 20:51   #14
BANNED

Is this a one-off or should this be in the 'biased or blind' thread?
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Mass will be able to help you out,it is going to be something new and unheard of to them. Why dont you send a mail to that Ask-autocar-anything column.They should atleast be able to put you onto the right people at maruti.

*Im not saying make it a big issue or anything,just speak to someone who would know what he is doing.

Most Viewed