Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2009, 00:56   #1
BHPian

To flush or not to flush..that is the question.

hello all

Need some advice here.

indica turbo (tcic) has just touched 40000 kms.

engine used to be real smooth upto 35000 kms. no harshness or vibes and used to hit 120+ easily. now it feels strained at these speeds and general noise and harshness of the engine has definitely increased.

the only difference in operating procedure has been since 35000 kms, i am being careless about re-fueling (any fuel, from any pump). upto 35000 i ALWAYS used to fill normal diesel and add System D as per the mentioned quantity on refueling. last 5000+ kms i am not using System D.

and, i change oil every 5000 kms and not 7500 as recommended by TATA. i am currently using Delvac MX.

now, i have never done an engine flush so far. no decarbonising either. should i give it a try now that the next oil change is due ? will these smooth things up a bit, or should i just do the normal oil change ?

i've read up on most threads i could search here and could not find real specifics. searches on the net advise diametrically different things. one camp says its good. other says it dislidges stuff and clogs up the oil lines and does more harm than good. yet another group says if you have been doing it regularly since, say, 25000 kms, then by all means repeat every 20000 kms. but i am now at 40000 kms. do i do it ?

also from this tata page, can someone throw light at what treatment i need to be looking at, if at all ?? there are too many of them and i need to know what specifically i need to be considering.

Tata Motors Customer Care :: Decarbonising & Engine Flush

ciao and thanks in advance.
Old 9th May 2009, 01:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

I own an indica TCIC, running on regular + System D from about 13000K
i did a flush while switching from castrol GTD to delvac MX at 20K , and the engine was noticeably rougher. not sure because of the oil or the flush.

most have said that the flush does not have to be done unless absolutely required. there is even a disclaimer which says that in the page you've linked to
Old 9th May 2009, 22:22   #3
BHPian

i'm pretty sure i read another opinion here on team-bhp that things got rougher after using Delvac MX. so thats three, counting you and me.

is it time to switch back to Castrol, then ?

alo greenhorn, i saw the disclaimer on that page as well. but the point is , when i read through the symptoms, it seems a bit of each is applicable in some way or the other. which is why i was wondering what "treatment" would be a good place to start, one that is relatively "safe" as well, in terms of no unwanted side effects.
Old 9th May 2009, 23:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

I too am a fan of flushing. I used to fill in Castrol GTD in petrol engines and run them for between 500 to 1000 Km, I found this more reliable than those 'flushing' products. I am however unsure as to which oil to use for flushing a Diesel engine. Perhaps a thinner oil with very high detergents.

I have always found a flushing/de-carb helpful. Some roughness though can be attributed to different oil.

Cheers,
Old 10th May 2009, 00:10   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The Indica normally aspirated and turbo engines are known to have premature oil control ring failure (at or before 80k km). A flush in this engine would likely speed up the process. IMHO, avoid flushing old Indica engines.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2009, 03:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

its just the immediate roughness. have to see how it holds up in the long term. the roughness seems to have gone after 1000km or so, not sure about it though - maybe i just got used to it.

castrol GTD used to get noticeably rougher and rougher after 3,000km
Old 10th May 2009, 05:30   #7
BHPian

Guys could you tell me if the engine flush is possible in diesle engines only...?
Old 10th May 2009, 07:55   #8
BHPian

No Garry, you can have your petrol enginne flushed too.
Old 10th May 2009, 08:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry.brant View Post
Guys could you tell me if the engine flush is possible in diesle engines only...?
Nope; engine flush is for all engines.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

which is the best engine i.e piston, valves, fuel lines etc cleaning product that can be mixed up with Petrol in the tank ? there are some products that clean the whole system when mixed with a full tank of fuel.
Old 10th May 2009, 10:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

for tata engines, iftex system D is the manufacturer recommended product
Old 10th May 2009, 10:38   #12
Team-BHP Support

I use OWS vitamin pack for my Lancer and next week is the Alto's turn.

OWS 210 engine flush to drain out the old oil and sludge.
After that new OWS 5W50 synthetic oil along with one bottle of OWS 220 engine oil additive to restore lost compression.
Then finally OWS 360 fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank with 10litres of fuel to clean fuel lines and injectors.

details here:
OWS Vitamins for your car
Old 10th May 2009, 11:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

I went for engine flush, 3M injector cleaning and throttle body cleaning (using spray) in the last service. The car had just clocked 15000 kms. There was noticeable difference in refinement and performance. I plan to do the same at 30000 kms.

Trident, hyundai service centre, does not have throttle body cleaning using machine, they have just spray cleaning. I had read about machine cleaning in the decarbonization thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I use OWS vitamin pack for my Lancer and next week is the Alto's turn.

OWS 210 engine flush to drain out the old oil and sludge.
After that new OWS 5W50 synthetic oil along with one bottle of OWS 220 engine oil additive to restore lost compression.
Then finally OWS 360 fuel system cleaner in the fuel tank with 10litres of fuel to clean fuel lines and injectors.

details here:
OWS Vitamins for your car
Hi vid,

Do you flush the engine with every oil change?

Where can I procure OWS products in bangalore?
Old 10th May 2009, 11:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Hi vid,

Do you flush the engine with every oil change?

Where can I procure OWS products in bangalore?
No, flush I did only when changing from mineral to synthetic. The Alto will be getting synthetic oil for first time next week, hence the flush.

I think flushing is recommended every 40,000kms to prevent carbon/sludge build up.
Old 10th May 2009, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

is regular flushing with every oil change bad?

some folks have flushes forced onto them by ASC's out to make a quick buck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks