Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 08:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
3. Use blinds (stick on) on the windows and windshields, these can be removed when you are getting into the car. You can also block the sun-side windows by rolling them down a bit - sticking paper/cloth in the gap and rolling them up again.
I have these blinds in my old 800. Atleast the dash and the console is saved from superheating.
Old 18th May 2009, 15:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

1.Keep the windows approx half an inch open when parking.That will ensure cross ventilation and removeal of hot air
2.Also do not get into a "hot" car and start the ac immediately.Keep the doors open for a minute or so and let out the heat.It is said that some harmful substances get released when plastic like the dashboard gets hot.
Old 18th May 2009, 16:11   #18
BHPian

Ok, these blinds or rollers on windscreens, windows could help a bit.
But I always thought that the hot temp inside the car when parked under the sun, is mainly due to the heat through the roof of the car . I could be wrong though !
Old 18th May 2009, 16:29   #19
BHPian

Agreed, the roof does gets heated, but it has got insulation from inside.

So, most of the heat is due to glasses. Using screens & films on the window & windscreens does help. Silver reflective screen helps a lot when the car is parked under sun.
Old 18th May 2009, 21:02   #20
BHPian

theres one more thing that can be done. its a remote engine start system. i had it installed in my 94 toyota corolla some 11 years back. well it worked then until the car was sold off in 2002. but as my car was an automatic the issue of leaving the car's tranny in Neutral with the handbrakes activated was'nt an issue. well all u have to do is push a little red button and your car cranks up after 3 seconds (james bond style) ;-) i am not very sure what brand the system was or if its still available in india. i am sure its available in the middle east or other warm countries, try singapore or malaysia.
Old 19th May 2009, 10:05   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some more tips over at this thread.
Old 19th May 2009, 22:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I have read about some cases where, pets that were left in a car, parked under hot sun have been found dead in less than half an hour of parking ! Because of the heat !

It is an offence in some countries to leave a pet or a little child ( yes some people do ! ) un-attended in a car for the same reason !
In Canada there is a law wherein leaving a child unattended in a car may attract a heavy penalty.
Old 20th May 2009, 00:22   #23
BHPian

i got this weird idea from an owner of M800.
He puts a bunch of banana leaves on his car when its parked outside his house , its weird but i would try to get some pics tomorrow.
Thats a cheap and efficient solution.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:18   #24
BHPian

1. There are sun reflecting shades which can be put on fornt & back screen while parking.
2. I have a green tinted glass for my Wind screen from Asahi India (St. Gobain also make them), it reduces sun effect a lot.
3. When parking leave half a inch of glasses unlocked so that the air can pass through it
4. Park in shade
5 When returning first open all doors (windows) & only swtich on the Blower, it will blow the hot air out for 15-30 secs, then swtich on on the AC & in next 30 seconds you can close the window / doors.
6. Yes the Roof coir mat is highly effective.
Old 20th May 2009, 12:30   #25
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I have read about some cases where, pets that were left in a car, parked under hot sun have been found dead in less than half an hour of parking ! Because of the heat!
OT: But this actually happened to my friend. Both of us had gone for an errand to a nearby mall and we took my friend's girlfriend's cat for company. We parked outside under the blazing sun at around 12.30 pm. We got delayed at the mall because he bumped into a female coworker and was talking to her for close to 30 mins.

Came back and poor kitty was lying lifeless on the rear floor. The car was a black Opel Corsa. I didn't accompany him back to his place because I knew he was in for some

Cheers,
gpa
Old 20th May 2009, 13:21   #26
BANNED

^^ OMG, PETA are you listening!!
Yes, black cars are burners. Put some decent sun film which has some heat rejection.

Go for fabric seat covers instead of the PU, leather or leatherite ones.

When the car is hot, put the fan to air intake from outside and roll down the windows for about 5 mins.

This is what i follow.
Old 20th May 2009, 14:40   #27
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
^^ OMG, PETA are you listening!!
Exactly what I told him when this happened. The thing is, he never expected to take so long. At the most about 10 mins, so when it crossed 30 mins, it led to disaster
Old 20th May 2009, 14:49   #28
BHPian

1. Try and get super efficient sun film for both front and rear wind shields.
2. Try and park them in some shade and when you cannot find any, try and leave some gap in the windows

Apart from these, there isn't much one can do as far as I know.
Old 20th May 2009, 15:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
2. Try and park them in some shade and when you cannot find any, try and leave some gap in the windows
I dont think this is a feasible idea. Nobody would like to leave a gap in their windows. If they do, they are inviting trouble.

If the car's AC is efficient irrespective of how hot the car becomes, it is a matter of 10 mins to get it back into the cold mode.
Old 20th May 2009, 15:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Do you think we can do something about the heat radiated through the roof also. I always felt that the roof from inside also gets quite a bit heated. Is there some sort of extra heat insulation, something similar to the damping we do for ice, that we can stuff inside? Or does it help sticking the same heat rejecting transparent sun films on top of the roof? Just some wild thoughts...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks