Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2009, 21:23   #1
BHPian

Prevent Heating in the Parked Car

Is there anything we can do to prevent the car from heating up while parked..?
I have already done :
All the four windows filmed with Garware.
Can i also get the windshield filmed and if that would make any difference in visibility.
The rear glass would not be filmed as it has got a defoger , any alternatives for the same..?
Old 17th May 2009, 21:45   #2
BHPian

You can add LLUMAR for the windshield, it makes a lots of difference in AC performance, and also you get them in light shade, which will not hinder driving at all. They also have a plain one i guess, which once applied to windshield does not even feel that it exists, but keeps temperature in cabin cooler comparatively.
Old 17th May 2009, 21:46   #3
BHPian

Check this
The Original AutoCool Solar Powered Auto Car Fan gifts in india at rediff shopping.

Solar Powered Exhaust Fan

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 17th May 2009 at 21:48.
Old 17th May 2009, 21:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi, In my view following are the options

1. i understand that SUNfilms reduce upto 25% heating. I do not know up
to what extent of time duration.
2. you can park the car in a shade (under the tree or shadow of the building etc)
3. I also heard that the cars with light shade colors (white, silver etc) heat up lesser than the dark coloured ones. i think, this is based on the theory of heat absorption, the black material absorbs heat. if this is true, you can choose the lighter colors viz. White, Silver etc.
4. i have seen some vehicles which go on longer drive (e.g. jeep, van etc) put a coir mat on top of the vehicle and pour water on to it. this way one can keep the top cooler. this might require some fastening of the coir mat to the roof and it might also affect the looks of the car/vehicle.
5. One can also put the shades which can be attached to the glass from inside. These shades prevent the transfer of heat into the cabin

if nothing of above works for you, and car still heats up while parking,
you can keep the doors and windows open for 3-4 minutes prior to entering the cabin.

hope this helps you.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 17th May 2009 at 21:54.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:13   #5
BHPian

Hi, I always leave the car windows (all of them ) rolled down about an inch while I park under Sun.

It does not stop the heating, but is a lot better than when you open the door to sit in a completely rolled up car.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:16   #6
BHPian

check out product auto windshield sunshade you may want to google it and find out .This product is very good .It is a fold away product which you place inside against the windshield resting on the dash stretching the entire surface of glass.It does reduce the inside temperature considerably and if your car has a sunroof you can leave it open tilted up so at least there is a vent for hot inside air to escape.This will definetely cool down the inside of the car
Old 17th May 2009, 22:20   #7
BHPian

Has anyone bought one of these? If yes, do they work as demonstrated? Similar products were available on teleshopping and I generally do not believe anything shown on such ads.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:38   #8
BHPian

Generally when i get to my car parked in hot sun, what i do is open the windows and start the car with AC on and wait for a min or 2 so that the cabin gets cooled a bit. Then get to the car and close the windows and leave rest of the work to the AC.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:45   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
You can add LLUMAR for the windshield, it makes a lots of difference in AC performance, and also you get them in light shade, which will not hinder driving at all. They also have a plain one i guess, which once applied to windshield does not even feel that it exists, but keeps temperature in cabin cooler comparatively.
The front windscreen sunfilm can also be fitted to the rear windscreen. These are normally colourless and are very effective to prevent heating by sunrays.A number of reputed companies manufacture these and the front windscreen film costs upwards from Rs 3200=00 or so.These also reduce the extra slogging by the AC.
Its always better to park the car in shade -undertree parking may sometimes let in dirt into the AC filter.
Its always advisable to roll down the glasses for a while before we move, to let out the interior heat.
The thermometer inside my old Maruti 800 car (has no sunfilm on the windscreen) shows upto 55 degrees Celsius tempretures when the outside tempreture is around 46 degrees Celsius.
My Scorpio with its OE solar front windscreen faces the summer a bit better.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:51   #10
Team-BHP Support

get the same sunfilm that youve put on your windows on your rear windscreen. it dosent affect the defogger.

for the front windscreen get a more transparent film. it dosent affect visibility and infact improves the glare at night.

that will reduce the heat quite a bit considering the windscreens are large glass areas.
Old 17th May 2009, 22:54   #11
BHPian

add (good quality) rain visors if you plan on keeping the side glasses rolled down. Prevents possible vandalism.
Old 17th May 2009, 23:35   #12
BHPian

Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions .
The best one seems to park the car in shade, though its not an easy thing to in delhi or gurgaon as most the of the houses doesnt have enough parking space(the houses are realy small) and most of the time we have to park the car on the street and its not easy to get an area with shade.
The rest of the suggestions are also going to help but not as effective as parking in shade, i heard about a solar exhast fan also , is that working in indian summers too..?
Old 17th May 2009, 23:58   #13
BHPian

I have read about some cases where, pets that were left in a car, parked under hot sun have been found dead in less than half an hour of parking ! Because of the heat !

It is an offence in some countries to leave a pet or a little child ( yes some people do ! ) un-attended in a car for the same reason !
Old 18th May 2009, 00:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

These are a few things that you can do to reduce the temperature inside the car when parking:

1. Try and park in the shade of a tree or building. It helps if you know in which direction the Sun will move and park in a spot that will be in the shade when you get back.

2. Leave a very tiny gap in the windows. If possible the gap should be too narrow to be seen clearly.

3. Use blinds (stick on) on the windows and windshields, these can be removed when you are getting into the car. You can also block the sun-side windows by rolling them down a bit - sticking paper/cloth in the gap and rolling them up again.

4. On returning to the car, open the windows first and drive off with the windows open, leave the windows open till the A/c. starts becoming effective (about 2-3 minutes).

5. Pray for clouds! (Presuming that moving to a cooler climate is not a viable option.)

Cheers,
Old 18th May 2009, 07:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Any idea whether the colour of the car has anything to do with how hot the car gets when parked under the sun. Technically it should but doe it ? Also when parked in sun, the seat also absorb a lot of heat which takes a long time to get rid of (with the A/C).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks