Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2005, 02:23   #16
BHPian

hey minardi... take tips from a guy who drives an automatic... the thing to remeber is never put the car into N, thats obviously neutral... i usually never do that... P is obviously Park... thats when u want to switch the engine off.... always press the brake first and then change...
dont slam the brakes too hard... usually the brakes of an automatic are very responsive...
at signals, leave the brake pressed, u can put it into Park... but it doesntreally make a difference... if u press the accelerator half way down, that is where most of ure power will come from... (that is if u are just starting the car..) im not sure about the other cars, but in the case of the mercedes and porsche, if u press the accelerator down all the way, there is a sort of button that automatically downshifts, and u pick up speed... thats called the "kick down"...
Vack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2005, 02:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Right on Vack. From one auto lover to another. I think guys who say autos ar'nt responsive?sluggish....are driving it the wrong way
Old 6th June 2005, 02:51   #18
BHPian

yes.. have to agree with that... in bombay traffic i prefer driving an auto than a manual... just makes soooo much more sense!!!!
Old 6th June 2005, 03:43   #19
BHPian

u can throw it into neutral if u want...at stoplights..it doesnt make a difference..if u want to give ur feet a rest. Just throw it into neutral and pull the parking brake..voila.
Old 6th June 2005, 11:18   #20
BHPian

Well i have been driving a A/T Nissan 1.8L since oct 2004 and i like it...
its the best thing in traffic...
when ever you come to a signal you can put it in "N"...
as in "D" the car will keep moving Foward...
i have driven number of A/T cars and all move when in "D"...
"P" is used when u are stoping the car for long time...
You can always use it in signals also...
the best thing i like about auto is that you can also drive it like a Manual...well sort off...

on the Shift you will have P, R, N, D, 2, 1...
when your trying to race put in 1 and start will will not shift to another gare till you take it off 1...take it till the red line then put it in 2... again take it till the read line and then put it in "D"...
its FUN...
i dont think it would damage the car...
but FE falls like anything...
my car gives me about 6+KMPL when i Pull it bad...
normally 7-8...
but it gave me 11KMPL on highway...
so have fun with it...
Old 13th June 2005, 11:08   #21
BHPian

Thanks everybody! Esp V-16 for the long post, and Vack. And CaliAtenza.

M
Old 13th June 2005, 19:41   #22
BHPian

@Minardi: Maybe you already know this...
The fisrt rule of driving an AT Vehicle is to use your right foot ONLY. The left foot is to be taken out of commission . Keep it on the dead pedal and forget that you have a left foot. Use your right foot for both the accelerator and the brake. Takes a bit of getting used to when shifting from MT to AT.
It makes driving a lot simpler. Its also the reason why these cars move without touching the accelerator when in gear. It makes parking and reversing the car a lot easier i.e, you don't have to jerk your foot between the brake and the accelerator.
Hope this helps.
Old 14th June 2005, 13:15   #23
Team-BHP Support

Hi Minardi,

Im going to contradict what some people have said, and say that at a long stop ie greater than 10-15seconds you should put the car into Park. The reason i dont say Neutral is because sometimes you overshoot the N position and go straight into R. V-16 mentioned this happening when you try to shift to P but i disagree, i think its more likely to happen when shifting to N, because afterall P is the furthest you can push the shifter, whereas N you are trying to find an inbetween position.
Secondly, the other advantage of putting it in P is that you dont need to pull the handbrake or keep your foot on the brakes anymore which is just another chore in stop and go traffic as opposed to pushing the shifter 2" more.
Thirdly, if you use the D + Brake method (which is ideal for <10-15second stops) chances are that at a long signal you will get distracted by your music system, or the passenger in the back, and unconsciously ease of the brakes the slightest bit which will cause the car to creep forward (not a good thing for the car in front of you or pedestrians.)

Other tips -

1> When accelerating - gain speed quickly and then crusie. This enables the engine to upshift sooner giving you better FE, rather than hanging around in the lower gears longer. However, if FE is your aim, dont accelerate violently, because that will cause the new elecronically controlled transmissions to actually hold the lower gear for longer.

2> Kickdown - as people have mentioned, when you slam the accelerator to the floor the tranny downshifts. Mainly designed for highway passing.

3> When going downhill - like on the ghats or for any long downhill stretch shift into the D4 / D3 / D2 / D1 gears. These (unlike D) provide engine braking when you release the accelerator, and will save your brakes from overheating on long downhill stretches.
(Be careful not to downshift to Dx gears when above a certain speed per gear (usually indicated on the speedo with dots)

4> NEVER - press the accelerator and then shift from N to D or P to D. Even if you are trying to "drag launch" that is not the correct way to do it and is very bad for your tranny. (If u wanna launch in an A/T check out this thread - Wheelspin in an A/T

5> Warming up the car - does make a noticeable difference to the tranny.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.
cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th June 2005 at 13:18.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2005, 13:40   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi

One thing I wanted to know...when you stop at the red light, you still keep the gear on 'D' and put your foot on the brake or do you put the gear on 'P'?

Can the gear change be controlled indirectly through the speed at which you press the accelerate? I though I read somewhere, if you press the accelerator suddenly, then the auto will shift down to give you that 'surge'. Is this true?
Dude, that my advice and put the car in P at the signal.... I had a heavy price for it.....my accord is automatic and the brake pads got worn out at just 20,000km because i had a habit of keeping my leg on the brake when i stop at signals. The honda showroom people told me thats the reason for the brake pads to wear out so soon.

Also abt the surge thing...yes in a normal automatic this does happen because the car shifts down a gear when u step on the gas...its the most amazing feeling btw ....but in your case the CVT doesnt really give that much of a surge.....when u do want a little bit of power punch shift to the S mode which is just below D on your car and you will see the tacho fly up .... use this when u want to over take and stuff and if one of those lancers ever try and mess with you thinking they can bully a NHC around at ease then just keep it in S mode and let the games begin ...Enjoy the car its a stress buster in traffic for sure.
Old 14th June 2005, 14:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Thanks everybody! Esp V-16 for the long post, and Vack. And CaliAtenza.

M
no sweat buddy, anytime...!!
Old 14th June 2005, 18:52   #26
Team-BHP Support

P for Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
'P' is only meant to be used when the car is parked. Flooring the throttle should give you a downshift, but remember to ease off the throttle gently (not immediately) once you get your downshift and the acceleration from it.
that is what the car manufacturers recommend.
tranny damage is to be expected if you keep shifting to Park at every traffic signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Dude, that my advice and put the car in P at the signal.... I had a heavy price for it.....my accord is automatic and the brake pads got worn out at just 20,000km because i had a habit of keeping my leg on the brake when i stop at signals. The honda showroom people told me thats the reason for the brake pads to wear out so soon.
when you have an automatic transmission car in a congested city like Bombay, brake pad wear is to be expected. shifting into Park at every signal is not a wise choice.
talk to the technicians, not to the salespeople.

ad
Old 15th June 2005, 16:20   #27
Team-BHP Support

read http://cvt.com.sapo.pt/toc_en.htm
also...
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/tec...4/article.html
http://www.motoringfile.com/2004/05/...t_transmission
Old 16th July 2005, 13:21   #28
BHPian

alright..need some tips about driving my NHC CVT which I got 3 weeks back..
Wanted to ask - if there is a long downsloping road,can I shift into N from D mode when adequate cruising speed has been reached,or will it affect the CVT engine,and stuff??..
Also,after the slope ends,and need to drive back on normal straight road,can I shift into D from N while the car is still on cruising speed?..
In NHC CVT,shifts between N and D don't require the brake to be pressed,nor the lever switch on the CVT shift knob has to be pressed..
I just wanted to know whether doing this will save on fuel a bit,if the slope is quite long...and also,whether doing this will affect the CVT gearbox.
Thanks,
Suraj
Old 16th July 2005, 15:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
alright..need some tips about driving my NHC CVT which I got 3 weeks back..
Wanted to ask - if there is a long downsloping road,can I shift into N from D mode when adequate cruising speed has been reached,or will it affect the CVT engine,and stuff??..
Also,after the slope ends,and need to drive back on normal straight road,can I shift into D from N while the car is still on cruising speed?..
In NHC CVT,shifts between N and D don't require the brake to be pressed,nor the lever switch on the CVT shift knob has to be pressed..
I just wanted to know whether doing this will save on fuel a bit,if the slope is quite long...and also,whether doing this will affect the CVT gearbox.
Thanks,
Suraj
DONT..DONT..DONT..DONT..DONT.First thing bro dont even think of shifting from D to N on a slope....i mean what r u gonna gain from it and secondly the car'll just move faster on a roll which is very dangerous. if u feel the slope is longish, stay in youyr D or shift to L as will keep the car in control. Moreover, if ur sloping in a D (NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL) u'll be using ur brakes a lot more= more pumping=heating of the pads=temporary brake failure...and i dont think u want that. So dont bother over a negligable fuel comsumption. Save your life, not at the cosst of fuel old chap.
Old 16th July 2005, 17:32   #30
BHPian

Excellent advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan
Thirdly, if you use the D + Brake method (which is ideal for <10-15second stops) chances are that at a long signal you will get distracted by your music system, or the passenger in the back, and unconsciously ease of the brakes the slightest bit which will cause the car to creep forward (not a good thing for the car in front of you or pedestrians.)
@Minardi
That is some very SERIOUS advise by Rehaan - stick to it, mate. I have driven a fair share of autoboxes in the past decade and could not agree more.

@Rehaan
Excellent advise there! The "Other Tips" section is spot-on .

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks