Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2009, 12:24   #1
BHPian

Conrnering speed of a Skoda Octavia vRS in comparison with a Honda Civic with Konis

I currently own a civic with a Koni sport setup to around 90% stiffness at the rear and around 75% stiffness at the front. and i am running 225/45/r17 Eagle F1's.

on a curvy road, i tend to take corners at about 110-125 kms and come out without any tire squeal. anything higher than that the tires tend to squeal a bit.

Would a Skoda VRs be able to take the same curves at an equal or higher speed if the car is completely stock.

I dont intend to make this into a civic vs RS thread. wanted to know because my friend started putting my civic down saying that his friends RS took a turn at hi speeds without any tire squeal or stepping out of line, which i find really hard to believe.

Thanks

MOD NOTE: POST EDITED
TeamBhp does not encourage street racing or dangerous driving

Last edited by Mpower : 20th May 2009 at 19:50.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:35   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

It would depend on a lot of factors like condition of tires, the line you take while cornering, amount of steering input etc. Unless both cars are pushed around the same corner with varying speeds it would be tough to come to a conclusion how better off or worse a car A is when compared to B.

Roughly speaking, from my experience of having driven both the cars, the RS does handle a lot better than the Civic. But by how much if you ask me, it would be a vague value unless tested accurately.
Old 18th May 2009, 12:59   #3
BHPian

i know that the RS is a better car in terms of power and handling compared to a stock civic. But would an RS still be better at handling compared to a car which has a stiffer suspension setup with wider tires.

and also is a cornering speed of 190 on a not so greatly banked road possible with a front wheel drive car??

Last edited by civ4647 : 18th May 2009 at 13:01.
Old 18th May 2009, 13:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Depends on where he did 190kmph. If you have a very fast turn with minimal turning angle, even you can take it at 190kmph without the tyres squeling. What really matters is the amount of lateral Gs that the car is doing while taking that corner.

So unless you test both cars on the same corner with a performance box, you'l never know for sure.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 18th May 2009 at 13:06.
Old 19th May 2009, 02:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

No chance. Your car will be quicker anyday. Though you could have bought better tyres. :(
Old 19th May 2009, 03:12   #6
BHPian

I think the vRS is anyday better than Civic even with the suspension changed .
Civiv is not as stable on highways as vRS , due to the weight in the body used by the manufacturer. Civiv is more of plastic and Skoda is more if metal.
The bodyweight helps in stability (Gurus correct me if i am wrong).
Old 19th May 2009, 03:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Straight line stability RS is rock solid.. But aftermarket suspension is always better than stock suspension so maybe Civic would be faster around corners.
Old 19th May 2009, 06:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
It would depend on a lot of factors like condition of tires, the line you take while cornering, amount of steering input etc. Unless both cars are pushed around the same corner with varying speeds it would be tough to come to a conclusion how better off or worse a car A is when compared to B.

Roughly speaking, from my experience of having driven both the cars, the RS does handle a lot better than the Civic. But by how much if you ask me, it would be a vague value unless tested accurately.
I agree with that...having driven both the civic(stock) & RS(stock) RS is way better regards to handling and also feels much safer at higher speed...!
Old 19th May 2009, 13:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Taking a corner at 190kmph means it would be a really long sweeping one, not a really tight one one which you can exploit the handling. Besides, i don't think the RS is THAT stable to pull off corners at close to 200kmph, it ain't no supercar. And not a safe thing to do either.
karthik247 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2009, 14:37   #10
BHPian

let us not base our views on some frivolous statement.( the 190 kmph turn bit)

a civic with 17" wheels with konis will definitely handle better than a RS with stock 16"wheels and stock suspension.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:00   #11
BHPian

Your modded Civic would handle better compared to the stock RS. Like Vip3r mentioned, it is the tyre that is the culprit. I am running 225\45\17 Yokohama Decibel(ZR-rated) and the car does not squeal when cornering at ~125 kmph(I have not tried faster than that and I will not believe that 190kmph cornering on stock setup). The suspension of the Civic is a bit too soft and you have addressed that, so IMO your Civic just needs a tyre change.

I had Goodyear GSD3s (Z-rated) and they were too noisy even at slow speeds on an otherwise very silent Civic, so dumped them after driving for around 5k km. The Eagle F1s are lower in Goodyear's lineup and I am sure they are not rated for high speeds. H-rated at the max I think.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 19th May 2009 at 15:01.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
Why dont you do a comparo between both the cars on similar roads,no use of a thread starter for this.Whats there to discuss when there is no tool to measure such things.If your friend has a heart of wood maybe he would do it.lolz
ram

No point wasting tmie. Get 2 cars do a test. a stock rs no way will handle like a civic with suspension and bigger tires/wheels. even Siddhartha has pointed this out and I have seen his RS taking turns.
The stock RS has severe handling issues, even akshay(v1p3r) can vouch for this. And This I am saying when driven on a track.
Old 19th May 2009, 15:58   #13
BHPian

imo this thread should be in Technical Section.
Old 19th May 2009, 21:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

oh so it's a whose is bigger contest!
Old 19th May 2009, 22:17   #15
BHPian

i cant help it. every single time, i get something done to my car, or someone says something good about my car, this guy has to put it down, saying a stock RS is better than my car.

recently we were talking about RS alloys, and i personally like the design a lot. and this guy out of the blue says "yes they are very good alloys, better than lenso's" referring to my car's lenso samurai's.

and he was also comparing them both saying that the civic needs a good exhaust to sound good, but the RS sounds amazing without anything.

Sorry for a long rant, i know that all this sounds nuts. I drove an RS and simply loved the performance. but there were none available when i wanted to buy it. So i went in for the civic and am thoroughly happy with my decision.

Oh btw one more thing. the guy in question does not even own an RS. He drives an accent. The RS belongs to his friend in Hyderabad, whom he went to visit for a few days. He is planning on picking up a second hand RS, if he gets a good deal.

Last edited by civ4647 : 19th May 2009 at 22:21. Reason: just remembered something
Closed Thread

Most Viewed