Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2009, 15:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Do you know what they are doing?

Have they filled the coolant and checked?
Is the Coolant level still going down or is it just over heating now?
Have they checked for leaks?
Have they changed the thermostat?
HAve they checked the working of the fan?

Just by cleaning the radiator for dust would not solve anything. Every radiator would be dirty and you would be surprised to see the amount of dirt you get when you clean the coolant system with water. I suggest you talk to someone who knows what he is doing and get a full report on what they have done.

THe possible problems could be
- THere surely is a leak if you are loosing coolant. It just takes to sit down and find where. (see post #6 also)
- If you are not loosing coolant. The thermostat valve/switch that controls the fan to regulate temperature should have given up.
- If the fan is not working it could be some fuse or a burnt fan motor.
- You could also check for a faulty temperature sensor that is sending in a wrong info.
- If the car was run at "high temp" without any coolant/just water in the radiator, it could surely be a blown head gasket. But make sure all the other things are checked before you let them open the head.

So sad to hear that all this is happening to a car that has done just 17K. Highly unlikely for these things to go kaput at this time.

Are you sure you were not hit by any biker/cyclist/stone anytime that could have had any impact on the radiator?
Old 26th May 2009, 16:00   #17
BHPian

When they gave me an update this morning they told me what you said Gemithomas , i don't know about the thermostat , but they have checked the fan ,temp sensor and checked the leaks and said these were not the problematic areas.

sister even explained to him that when she opened the bonnet to check the radiator and told that it was completely empty , how could this be possible ? can it really dry up ? , i mean its only run 2k after the third service , i feel these guys have not topped up the fluids.

No nothing i have never been hit by any other vehicle .
Old 26th May 2009, 16:39   #18
BHPian

Hey Chetan and All,

One of the main mechanics working at hariprasad automobiles has left them. The service there is not so good these days. I was always the permanent customer for them (for last 3 years) and now I give my car for service to this guy(FYI- I just gave it for 75K service to this mechanic this morning). He is a trustworthy guy and seems to have more knowledge than anybody else there @ Hariprasad. His name is Venkatesh and number is: 9379192193. You could refer my name to talk to him.

Last edited by ravikn : 26th May 2009 at 16:47. Reason: Typo
Old 14th October 2009, 12:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Overheating in retro Palio 1.6

Hi,

I'm facing a similar issue in my Palio 1.6. Earlier, the temperature indicator needle remained between 1/4 and the 1/2 mark without a/c, and approx at the 1/4 mark with a/c. But now, since 3-4 days, it hovers at and a little above half way without ac and at and between 1/2 and 1/4 mark with ac. This happens both in city and highway driving.

This is what I did before taking it to the workshop:
1. Checked fan functioning - seemed to be ok, at least to me; it's kicking in like before.
2. Checked coolant level - in cold condition, it's a little bit above the small arrow on the right side of the coolant tank.
3. Visually confirmed that there is no coolant leakage.

Then, took the car to BU Bhandari in Pune. Since they had a lot of cars for servicing & repairing already, only a cursory check up was done after a trial run. Coolant level was fine, no leakages found. Fan was working perfectly. They suspected an air block (don't know where), which was removed by loosening some nut at the left hand side in the engine bay and tightening it again. This seemed to do the trick, as the heating problem didn't occur again for the whole day; but it occurred again the next day, during a trip to the airport. BUB have now told me to bring the car for fixing this problem after Diwali, as they are already overloaded with their backlog till then. Till then, will drive it with AC on and my fingers crossed! :-)

From this and other similar threads, these are the points I've noted to get checked at the workshop next week: Check temp sensor, check thermostat, get radiator cleaned, check for leakages or blockages, check coolant pump and fan functioning, check for any other errors on examiner, check for any fuse problem.

Please let me know if I've missed anything. Will keep this thread updated about what happens.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th October 2009 at 12:14.
Old 10th November 2009, 23:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

hmmm! My GTX is showing signs of the similar problem since couple of days.

1. goes a bit above halfway mark > fan kicks in and brings it down in stop go traffic (without AC).
2. with AC - it stays at 1/4th mark.
3. coolant level has not gone down - but does not boil(??) like before in the overflow tank.
4. lower part of radiator remains cool - top part is heating up while idling (inspected tonight)

do the 4th point relate to a block some where? (read it in a palio thread on the tbhp forum)

can any one of the 1.6 owners check if there is a way to detect a block?
Old 11th November 2009, 11:45   #21
BHPian

@Planet_Rocker,

I am too facing the same problem on my GTX. Asked couple of service centers and they told me that things it is normal to expect the temperature hovering at 50%. Please do share if you find something so that I too can ask the mechanics to check and fix it.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:04   #22
BANNED

Similar Issue - Thermostat

I had pretty similar issue. With AC it's fine but well above half mark when AC is off.

My TVS Chennai fixed this by changing the Thermostat
Old 11th November 2009, 12:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

i faced something similar a year back: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/854007-post17.html - i will keep an eye on the temp gauge for a few more days before a radiator cleaning / flush.

source thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...palio+radiator
Old 27th November 2009, 16:53   #24
BHPian

@planetrocker: Not sure if this problem has been solved already, but this happened in my car about a year ago too.

In my case, the fan relay was faulty and was not kicking in the 1st speed. The fan worked in full speed and brought the temperature down, but not before the needle had crossed over to just over the halfway mark.

You would not notice this problem when the A/C is on since the four-level pressure switch forces the fan on full speed instantaneously.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

@ VS - thanks - will get the relay changed. How much do they retail for? any idea?

Yes the fan kicks in when the needle has crossed just above the halfway mark. :(

is there a way to check if the fan is working at both speeds?

@ VS - in normal stop go traffic - where does the needle stay in your car?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 27th November 2009 at 18:08.
Old 27th November 2009, 18:41   #26
BHPian

The relay should cost you around Rs 300 - 400, as far as I remember. Certainly under 4 figures.

There are at least two ways of checking if both speeds are working:

1) During the day, start your car and rev it lightly for about 5 mins, keeping the bonnet open. If the relay is working correctly, the fan would start in slow mode before the fast mode kicks in

2) Start the engine, keep the bonnet open and start the A/C. THe fan would start within about 10 seconds - first in slow mode and then in fast (fast mode is when the fan starts to sound like a hurricane!). If it goes to fast mode directly, the relay is most probably not working.

I have posted the images of my Palio's temp gauge in this thread (post # 23):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ure-doubt.html

Please look at image #2. That is the max I have ever seen it go in the past 7 years (expect when the fan relay was busted). Request your response on my query, too, if possible.
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2010, 15:19   #27
BHPian

Palio core plugs

The other day my 2.5 years old palio 1.6 sport stile had over heating problem. The needle indicating temperature had gone above the red mark and I was quite concerned. When i took it to the garage for repairs, they informed me that core caps on the block had a leakage and therefore the engine was heating up and it will take two days for it to repair as it needs to be fixed with sealant and it takes times for it to dry. I was not convinced with this answer and wanted to know if this was true.

P.S. My coolent level had gone down and My Ac also had cooling problem

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th April 2010 at 17:44. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 15th April 2010, 15:05   #28
BHPian

@subodh,

If i read them correctly they must be pointing to the engine head gasket. this it is surprising to see a 2.5 yr old car having this problem

Do check the following things

1. Temperature sensor/Thermostat valve
2. Check for any leakage in coolant passage areas/hoses
3. Check if there is any foam kind of layer on the surface of the coolant before starting the car in the morning. If you find so.. it is very likely that you have a gone engine head gasket.

Do check them. All the best. check the prices in few places before leaving it for service on the spares and labor cost. Otherwise chances are there people will take undue advantage of it.
Old 15th April 2010, 16:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

Pre-summer service:

With the onset of summer one sees plenty of complaints about ineffective A/c.s and heating engines. Several of them can be overcome with a simple pre-summer service.

Take the car to a workshop with an air compressor. Blow compressed air through the radiator and a/c coils in front of the radiator.

Then, if possible clean the above two components with pressurised water (medium pressure).

Finish with another round of compressed air.

I did it last week after my 1.6 started showing signs of heat fatigue i.e. the ECU switches off the A/c. in bumper to bumper traffic and the temp needle climbs above the 1/2 mark on the gauge.

When I directed the nozzle of compressed air at the coils/radiator, there was a cloud of dust all over and since then the needle stays well below the half mark and the a/c. stays on chilling me.

This of course does not mean that there cannot be other faults like blown gaskets, leaky dummies, defective caps etc. It is just a nice place to start.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2010, 17:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

I had a problem some months back with the coolant leakage. It would only leak after there was some pressure in the system which meant after a few minutes of driving. The coolant would spew out in a cloud of steam. This happened twice.

Sent the GTX to the workshop, had the radiator serviced and changed the hoses. Temperature is back to normal 1/4.

Drifter
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks