Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2009, 19:00   #16
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
question. Was the needle at the point where both the engine fan and the compressor fan both cut in ( big fan sound?) At that point, engine is slowed down, and if AC is on, severely.

Did the happen when the sun was up ( ie air is not cool)
No big sound. rather no strange sound at all

well it happened in the evening once/twice, when AC is off on the koramangala inner ring road
twice in the morning around 9 AM on Airport road near command hospital road

it was like "you drive casually on an clear road. feel like accelerating. press the pedal. nothing happens. on the reverse you feel you are losing power. speedo needle does not move. it will be around 60 km. leave the pedal and press again- car accelerates"
hope iam clear about it

Last edited by rkg : 13th June 2009 at 19:02.
Old 13th June 2009, 19:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

the big sound will not be apparent to you when you are driving with the windows up. only if you are at idle , with the ac and windows off - I was just illustrating what the fan cut in usually sounds like from outside.

another chance of this happening is if you are past the peak torque rpm. (kinda unlikely if you are cruising). I was in second or third, overtaking a bus on a slope. Once the engine spun past 3500 rpm, the car felt like it was literally going backwards. I upshifted immediately, and car gained speed, and i was on my way
Old 13th June 2009, 20:52   #18
BANNED

What happens to the rpm needle (if present)?
Old 14th June 2009, 20:10   #19
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Iam not overtaking any vehicle. In fact the road was empty , so i thought of accelerating above 60kmph

Windows were down not up as AC was off

RPM was around 2000 ( 4th gear, 60 Km )

whenever it happened it was always at 2000 RPM and around 60 Km speed on empty stretch and trying to accelerate above 60
Old 15th June 2009, 16:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Hope you also noticed the temp indicator at that time, was it normal ??

If not for heating, this can happen for multiple reasons.

- Check for water in the sedimenter
- When was the last time you changed your fuel filter/ Air filter
- EGR valve sticky or faulty

If under warranty, ask them to change(FF/EGR/AF), if not clean (EGR/Sedimenter/AF)

PS: Forgot to ask, was it happenning from the beginning or came up later, if later, you might first want to reset your ECU.
Temp. Indicator is Normal.
FF,EGR, AF checked and cleaned. No difference.
I will try resetting the ECU and report if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
dude! its overdrive. are you sure you are shifting at the right rpm.
I am shifting as per norm. Additionally, problem doesn't occur when I shift gears rather when I am cruising in 5th Gear at 70-80 kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I think your problem is in turbocharger. This problem occured in swift lot of times now in Vista this is surfaced. This might be a problem with all fiat MJD engines.

Do you keep engine idle for 30 seconds after starting and before shutting? Because this is must do for Turbo charged engines, otherwise you may face problem in turbocharger.
I don't idle the car. Should I ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
question. Was the needle at the point where both the engine fan and the compressor fan both cut in ( big fan sound?) At that point, engine is slowed down, and if AC is on, severely.

Did the happen when the sun was up ( ie air is not cool)
There is no particular sound from compressor or fan.

I live in Rajasthan so sun is pretty much always up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Haven't really checked in that. Rather, I am not too sure of that. Will do next time.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Akhilesh,

As someone has pointed out earlier this may be an issue with Turbocharger. Please observe the exhaust when such a drop in power happens. If the exhaust spurs white smoke it is due to engine oil getting into Turbo. Invariably most Swifts (When the Swift D was introduced) had this problem after first oil change as the mechanics in the service center loaded 3.5L of oil while actually Swift D consumes 3.1L.
Old 15th June 2009, 16:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Akhilesh,

As someone has pointed out earlier this may be an issue with Turbocharger. Please observe the exhaust when such a drop in power happens. If the exhaust spurs white smoke it is due to engine oil getting into Turbo. Invariably most Swifts (When the Swift D was introduced) had this problem after first oil change as the mechanics in the service center loaded 3.5L of oil while actually Swift D consumes 3.1L.
I will do the following things now as per advice from the forum:

1. Get Oil checked for quantity
2. Get all filters cleaned, once again. I don;t think I will need replacement. The car has only done 10K kms.
3. Reset ECU
4. Tell my father to be patient and idle the car after starting and also when shutting off.

I will report after 1000kms to verify.

Thanks people.
Old 15th June 2009, 17:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
4. Tell my father to be patient and idle the car after starting and also when shutting off.
My Dear Son , Please go through Vista Manual.

Actually the reason for this is like this. Lubricant oil is supplied through forced oil feeding mechanism to turbocharger. Now suppose you start an engine, time will take to reach lubricant oil to turbocharger and if you start your engine revving immediately after ignition on then it may damage your turbocharger. Better wait for 30 seconds when you start your engine in morning.

Similar is the case with engine shutting. When you stop from high speed run and then turbocharger immediately does not stop rotating, it takes its own time to stop. In that case if you turn off engine then lubricant supply will be cut off to turbocharger. Again this may be dangerous to turbocharger.

Any good diesel mechanic can tell this to you. Even ask any TATA or Maruti A.S.S. then they can explain you very well.

And if you dont follow this then you might face with less life for your turbocharged engine.

And to the problem in this thread. This turbocharger's unexpected behavior will hamper engines performance. When your turbo charger is kicked in then your ECU will adjust fuel feeding according to turbochargers status. When turbochargers is on then system needs less fuel compared to that of no turbocharger case. Your ECU adjust according to this. Now your turbocharger fails then engine got wrong air fuel mixture. In your problem it might be getting less air as turbocharger is not working at that particular moment. It means unburnt fuel, less power, sudden power drop.

As DieselFan said you can check this with your exhaust. If smoke come at this particular moment then please concentrate on Turbocharger.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 15th June 2009 at 17:30.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
...then your ECU will adjust fuel feeding according to turbochargers status. When turbochargers is on then system needs less fuel compared to that of no turbocharger case. Your ECU adjust according to this. Now your turbocharger fails then engine got wrong air fuel mixture. In your problem it might be getting less air as turbocharger is not working at that particular moment.
Actually, with the turbo spooled up, your ECU needs to inject more fuel
Old 21st November 2009, 10:34   #25

Hey akhilesh51, I am also facing the same problem from past few weeks. And i could also locate a similar incidence being reported by another owner from mumbai , click below link
Tata Indica Vista Complaints - Repeated power/speed drop; accident by Fortune Cars personnel during roadtest

I informed about this issue to service center in pune (BU Bhandari) but they are totally unaware of such scenario.
Can you please provide me latest updates from your end.
A quick response will be much appreciated.. Thanks in advance..
cheers..VT
Old 21st November 2009, 16:18   #26
rkg
Senior - BHPian

The power drop does not happen always atleast in my case. it happens once in a while. i took the vehicle to concorde. the guys cleaned the ECU. then tested the vehicle with PC attached for 30 Km. unfortunately the issue does not appear. it resurfaced after 2 weeks for few seconds. than again fate a month or so. this time it lasted for more than a minute.
it always happened to me when i was driving around 60 Km and in 4th gear. RPM also drops marginally to below 2000. it does not go above 2000 rpm at all. it happens after about 30 minutes of driving in city trafic around 40 Km. i can go to 60 only in inner ring road or command hospital road.
this never happend in highway when we are cruising at 100-120 kmph.

if it happens next time i will check the exhaust.

I always idle the car after starting and before shutting it off
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:20   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
The power drop does not happen always atleast in my case. it happens once in a while. i took the vehicle to concorde. the guys cleaned the ECU. then tested the vehicle with PC attached for 30 Km. unfortunately the issue does not appear. it resurfaced after 2 weeks for few seconds. than again fate a month or so. this time it lasted for more than a minute.
it always happened to me when i was driving around 60 Km and in 4th gear. RPM also drops marginally to below 2000. it does not go above 2000 rpm at all. it happens after about 30 minutes of driving in city trafic around 40 Km. i can go to 60 only in inner ring road or command hospital road.
this never happend in highway when we are cruising at 100-120 kmph.

if it happens next time i will check the exhaust.

I always idle the car after starting and before shutting it off
For me below is the scenario when the speed/power drop occurs:-
When
#1 Speed is around 80km/hr
#2 RPM is around 2000
#3 when I am climbing a slight slope. when i say slight , it means its not a steep slope but say a little more than a plain road..

- The car starts vibrating (you can easily feel it)
- Speed or rather RPM drops from 2000 to around 1750 and then it again starts accelerating. During this time even if I push the speed pedal, the car will not respond..!!! And this DEADLY , specially in cases when you are on highway overtaking a speeding trailer/truck and there is a vehicle coming from infront...!!!

In the above mentioned conditions, chances of speed/power drop is say 7 out of 10 times.
Being said that it doesn't mean it never happens in plain road, but chances are say 2 out of 10 times or even less.
I know a particular patch in Pune(Sus road) where i experience the power drops 9 out of 10 times. So i picked-up the BU bhandari mechaninc and gave him a test drive on this patch and Voila ! it happened , the speed dropped 3 out of 5 times..
He said this is the first time anyone has complained this. He has assured me that he will rectify this problem. Unfortunately I have not been able to drop my car to Workshop , but planning to do so in next couple of days..
Let's see then..!
Friends any comments..?
Old 24th November 2009, 11:06   #28
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RearView View Post
#2 RPM is around 2000
#3 when I am climbing a slight slope. when i say slight , it means its not a steep slope but say a little more than a plain road..

- The car starts vibrating (you can easily feel it)
- Speed or rather RPM drops from 2000 to around 1750 and then it again starts
I too experienced it while climbing slight up. Inner ring road and command hospital road slope
In my case RPm hovers around 1900-2000. no acceleration at all.
It happens once in a while. i have felt it twice in the last 45 days.
Concorde guy tried find out with laptop connected. but it did not happen that time
Old 26th November 2009, 18:13   #29
BHPian

Get the Intercooler Cleaned

Hi

I face a similar problem in my swift. In 5th gear, 2000 rpm, about 80-90 kmph! I press the accelerator pedal and nothing happens. The rev's dont increase, the speed remains the same and I see white smoke in the rear view mirror.

This is happening because of the oil in the intercooler is forced into the engine and burns causing white smoke. Strangely, this happens only in 5th Gear.

This almost completely disappeared when I got the intercooler cleaned. There is still some hesitation in accelerating sometimes, but I am putting it down to the intercooler not being cleaned properly. Now, I made them fill up only 2.9 liters of engine oil during that oil change and have the same performance as was present immediately after the service even after about 2000 km. The car has done only 11500 km and is 1 year 3 months old. When I go for an oil change at 15000 km, I plan to show this white smoke to the SA and hopefully they will do a better job at cleaning the InterCooler then!

Cheers
Rajdeep
Old 26th November 2009, 18:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

kinda strange happening in a new car. I was facing power loss recently, and it was diagnosed as a fuel pump needing recalibration.

Whether the diagnosis is correct, remains to be seen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks