Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2005, 02:24   #16
BHPian

I am a PIO living in Zurich. I have a Garmin GPS MAPCS60 which I use during my holidays in India. I use GPS quite often in Europe and in India. One of my hobbies is Wildlife and GPS is always with me in India.
Hope that my thoughts below help some of you in India. Be aware that there are country restrictions on map posession and buying/sellings. You should read below Govt. of India link to inform yourselves.

Govt. of India Website where you can also buy maps.
http://www.gsi.gov.in/quadrang.htm

India & Pakistan Topo 1:250000 from 1955 Berkeley Uni. Still today considered to be one of the best maps on India. I checked these maps with my current GPS maps and accuracy is amazing. No doubt that hardly any new roads have been built in India especially in the countryside. From a total of 275 maps, I have converted 70 of them to be GPS compat. I am still doing the rest using Fugawi (Now as Global Navigator).
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/EART/india/250k.html

Use Lat and Long in GPS
http://www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Slatlong.htm

Some reading learning links
http://www.travelbygps.com/authoring.php

Some simple maps of India
http://www.maps.ethz.ch/map_catalogue-asia.html#india

Very good site for Indians
http://www14.brinkster.com/jnana/india.htm

Garmin Dealer in Mumbai
[FONT=Arial]Aerial Services Pvt Ltd
[/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Hangar No 1, Juhu Arpt
PO Box 6912
Mumbai 400 054
Phone: 91 22 2615 6707
91 22 2615 6754
Fax: 91 22 2615 6909
E-mail: [/FONT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#0000ff]amlalljee@vsnl.net : asplgps@vsnl.net : ali@indamer.com[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Garmin Dealer in New Delhi
[FONT=Arial]Aerial Services Pvt Ltd
[/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]D-67, Defence Colony
Ground Floor
New Delhi 110 024
Phone: 011 2465 1445
Fax: 011 2465 1446
E-mail: [/FONT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=#0000ff]amlalljee@vsnl.net[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

I have tried to keep above info. short. Here are some of my experience using GPS in India. I have a Garmin WorldMap ver.3.01 and City Select Europe v.7.
For India travelling WorldMap 3.01 is used. Garmin GPS functions very well all over India. I have my friends visiting South India and using Garmin models there successfully. The WorldMap of Garmin gives most of the major routes in India if you are talking about town to town connection. Of course, within cities, the WorldMap routes are limited to only very major roads. In all cases you can rely on accuracy. As travellers, you can store places visited as Way-points for later reference or if you particularly liked a restaurant in a city to which you can later refer. For Out-door lovers, you can locate the track and interesting locations for revisiting. For Bird-watchers, you can define locations where you saw a particular species alongwith relevant info.
Using GPS in automobile. You can place the GPS on front dashboard but only if it is not too hot. I have always done it in winter months. In thick trees in a National park sometimes my GPS lost track. So I bought an external antenna to fix with GPS and place this magnetic antenna on bonnet or on rooftop. Then you dont even have to place the GPS on front dashboard. For those who want to save money OR prefer Notebooks for larger screen, I recommend the Garmin 18 Delux or similar to attachwith to Notebook. Even the PD models from Garmin iQue3600 or similar are really good for India. Some of the new StreetPilot models are quite basic but have a larger screen.

Of course, there is a lot of Info also on Internet and you could also see Garmin.com site.
Old 26th December 2005, 22:25   #17
BHPian

GPS By Nippon

Hi Guys Nippon has launched GPS in India.
I saw their ad in Auto Car India , had a words with somebody Mr Sachin,
here is the summed up points.
1) Price 37,900 less discount 2000 so 36k
2) It includes Pocket Pc
3) This Pocket PC doesnt work as a mobile (biggest Drawback)
4) This software will not work on any other Pocket Pc, so if u want to enjoy this u have to purchase a complete package
5) But yes it plays music n all so atleast u can connet with ur audio while driving
6) This doesnt have camera feature ofcourse
7) he said probably at later satge they will upgrade to the model where it will work as a mobile too, He is coming tommorow to show me a demo so reviews tommorow
here is the clipping

Wadhwa Ajay
www.paulindia.com
Old 26th December 2005, 22:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

X-sailor is the man to be contacted for more information on gps,the ex-sailor man even knows tech details,he was explaining all this to us in the DELHI MEET.
Old 13th January 2006, 18:40   #19
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanket12
well i own a garmin etrex vista c gps .. which has been of immence help whenever i have trekked & travelled off road... it has also helped me whenever i have been to a new city (metro) i have loaded all the major city maps in it from the dealer in mumbai
Sanket12, How much did the eTrex Vista C cost you?
And does it capture satellites on a road shaded by dense trees?
Old 13th January 2006, 18:47   #20
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianDawg
6k per city? there is no application in mobile where we can use gps ?
The Nokia Wireless GPS Module LD-1W connects to any Bluetooth compatible Nokia phone, such as the Nokia 3230. What's nice is that your Nokia charger can recharge the LD-1W's battery and it has an external antenna connector for use in severe conditions.
Old 16th January 2006, 03:51   #21
Vin
BHPian

GPS using eicher city

http://www.gisdevelopment.net/applic...ss/bus0017.htm

Ive been quite interested in using GPS in delhi, and found the following article, basically states that using a garmin unit with eicher city maps which are pretty detailed for major cities.

but im not in delhi, so if any of the following delhites decide to try this out, do post your experience.

V
Old 17th January 2006, 11:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Is there a GPS in the 3k range which has a distance finder and speedo capability? To use as a marker for quarter mile runs?
Slightly OT: Hey v1p3r.. have you checked out the new gtechpro.. it'll give you all the functionality and information (quarter mile, speedo, bhp, rpm, g force) you need.
Old 18th January 2006, 02:45   #23
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin
http://www.gisdevelopment.net/applic...ss/bus0017.htm

Ive been quite interested in using GPS in delhi, and found the following article, basically states that using a garmin unit with eicher city maps which are pretty detailed for major cities.

but im not in delhi, so if any of the following delhites decide to try this out, do post your experience.

V

Eicher city maps for delhi is very accurate in some parts, especially for Dwarka and near airport.

RK
Old 18th January 2006, 07:03   #24
BHPian

great way to check out new offerings in the market by just loggin in to team bhp...i m sure i'd taken it had i been there...
Old 18th January 2006, 23:11   #25
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat
Eicher city maps for delhi is very accurate in some parts, especially for Dwarka and near airport.

RK
Eicher city maps for delhi is not accurate in some parts, especially for Dwarka and near airport.

I regret the error

RK
Old 19th January 2006, 01:40   #26
BHPian

Hey Guys,
well I bought the Garmin C320 here in Mumbai and used for about 2 months and got fed up. Dont get me wrong its an excellent piece but Garmin has yet to install the road names and locations properly. Its a very nice and useful thing for people who travel alot in their cars. It has all the listings of all the restaurants and Petrol Pumps and Chemists and lots more......But the thing was they had not made it proper so sold it off.
Old 21st January 2006, 12:13   #27
BHPian

Guys,I just called up Garmin(Aerial Services) in Mumbai..wanted to buy the map,they say it's Rs10,000 !..someone on this thread mentioned it's officially Rs6,000.I asked them about this,and they said it's Rs10,000.
I also got to know from M/M Traders(Garmin Dealers) that Nippon PDA GPS launched uses a better detailed Mumbai map than the Garmin map for Mumbai..but the Nippon map would work only with Nippon GPS(Nippon map has been made by Satyam Net,Mumbai).
Anyone here using Nippon?..how good is the map?

-sr
Old 21st January 2006, 13:26   #28
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
Guys,I just called up Garmin(Aerial Services) in Mumbai..wanted to buy the map,they say it's Rs10,000 !..someone on this thread mentioned it's officially Rs6,000.I asked them about this,and they said it's Rs10,000.
I also got to know from M/M Traders(Garmin Dealers) that Nippon PDA GPS launched uses a better detailed Mumbai map than the Garmin map for Mumbai..but the Nippon map would work only with Nippon GPS(Nippon map has been made by Satyam Net,Mumbai).
Anyone here using Nippon?..how good is the map?

-sr
India is the software capital of the world.
I'm sure that somebody from the software industry would be able to
create the maps for downloading into a Garmin Etrex Vista, for example.
Or, should I do it myself?

One possible source for the city map could be Google Earth, for Hyderabad, Bangalore, Delhi and Pune, which are fairly well represented on Google Earth.

Any educated opinions?
Old 21st January 2006, 13:38   #29
BHPian

Even though I would like GPS in my car I am going to wait. Currently, the supporting services are at a nascent stage and prices a bit on the higher side. The prices will stabilise only when it becomes a little common and then I will buy it.

Have taken the wrong route a couple of times during my highway trips and wasted time which could have been avoided with a GPS.
Old 21st January 2006, 18:28   #30
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5u3zEr0
I am going to wait. Currently, the supporting services are at a nascent stage and prices a bit on the higher side.
The GPS satellite navigation system has been operational since 1978. It has been available to the public free-of-charge.

A GPS receiver decodes time signal transmissions from multiple satellites (27 of them: 24 in operation and three extras in case one fails). The GPS receiver calculates its position by a geometry technique called trilateration.

It can be used for determining one’s precise location (latitude, longitude, altitude) and a highly accurate time reference anywhere on Earth or in Earth’s orbit.

Originally the US government implemented a system called selective availability (SA) to deliberately introduce a variable error of 10 metres to 30 metres, to confuse enemy missiles. Since 2000, no longer worried about misuse, they turned off selective availability. Accuracy to 5 metres has been available since 2005.
The US government spends approximately US$400 million per year, just to maintain the system.

You can buy a GPS receiver for under Rs. 10,000. It will tell you your accurate location, time and speed. And you can store hundreds of places (waypoints) to which, you have been, so that you can find them on your way back.

Big cities (Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore) are already mapped. IMHO, the smaller cities will only be mapped when we Indian professionals take charge and do it ourselves. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Ram : 21st January 2006 at 18:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks