Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 01:52   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
I have a linea emotion pack petrol which i had bought in month of april. After initial run in period of 1000km i went for a oil change in tata aftersales in concorde motor ambattur chennai. They changed the engine oil and gave me charging 1900/-.
Here is the post about it in my thread

Now my car has done 5000kms nearly. Now Some other linea owners have pointed out that by mistake the service advisors have put the diesel engine oil in my petrol car. ( can you believe that these authorised guys doing this)

I have run my engine nearly 4000km in the diesel engine oil. I have talked to the service advisors. they are asking me to change the oil now. They are saying both are the same and are not looking into the issues properly. Fiat is rather downplaying the issue

I am worried that something might have happened to my engine.
Does the diesel engine oil do harm to engine?. What are the consequences of it?. Does changing to recommended oil revert back the damage if already caused?. What are the problems i might have to look in down the line subsequently to identify if something has gone wrong?

Somebody please answer
Diesel engine usually uses thicker grade oil i.e 15w40-50..There is no problem if you are driving petrol car with the diesel engine oil ,only problem can arise if you are in a cold climate .the heavy oil is quite thick and it settled down so there is tremendous wear on the engine during start ups.that is not going to be the case in summer.Infact my MB dealer will put lighter grade oil in winter 5w40-50 in my diesel car if i use it during winter .our average temp during winter are usally-10C to -20C .Only disadvantage you have is your average(km) will be low /liter of petrol as the engine has to work hard due to heavy oil.
Old 26th August 2009, 17:23   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Vow, how could the service people make such a mistake. They cannot distinguish between a petrol engine and a diesel engine? They don't know which oil is for what?

The engine oil for diesel engine could be used in petrol engines. But, that is beside the point.

You should politely insist that the service center should replace the oil for you free of cost (both labour and material). Its their mistake.
+1 to this. I have topped up with diesel oil in emergencies. but the point is how can an A.S.S. do this?
Old 26th August 2009, 20:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mobil Super XHP Plus or Mobil Delvac MX

Hi Folks,

Good thing I stumbled upon this thread. My Palio 1.6 is due for servicing and an oil change in the 2nd week of September. The car manual recommends any engine oil that meets or exceeds 15W-40 and API-SG.

Since the ASC that I go to doesn't store the previous Fiat recommended Engine Oil anymore (VS-MAX), I was initially thinking of changing to Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40, conforming to API-SM (Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40).

But, while browsing the Mobil India site, I came across this oil too: Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 (Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40), conforming to API-SL.

Having read the CarBible post, my question is - will the Delvac MX be a good choice for the Palio 1.6 engine? The Mobil website clearly states that it "provides outstanding performance in both modern, demanding low-emission diesel engines and older diesel engines operating on low or high sulphur fuel", but will the same statement be applicable to a petrol engine too? Or should I just play it safe and stick to the XHP Plus?

Hope someone will help me in solving my dilemma!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 1st February 2010, 21:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Folks,

Having read the CarBible post, my question is - will the Delvac MX be a good choice for the Palio 1.6 engine? The Mobil website clearly states that it "provides outstanding performance in both modern, demanding low-emission diesel engines and older diesel engines operating on low or high sulphur fuel", but will the same statement be applicable to a petrol engine too? Or should I just play it safe and stick to the XHP Plus?

Hope someone will help me in solving my dilemma!

Cheers,
Vikram
Hi Vikram ,
Its been a while you posted this query. But i stumbled across it only now.
For ur 1.6 gasolene engine , you best stick with Valvoline Durablend ( API-SL 10W-40 ) OR castrol Magnatec ( API-SM 5W-40 )than something like the Delvac -mx which is really a diesel engine and is thicker than the above mentioned oils which are probly the best for high performance petrol engines such as yours .
Old 27th June 2010, 15:42   #20
BHPian

Deisel oil in Petrol engine

Okay happened to me .. the local mechanic put in Bosch oil rated at 20W40 in my Palio 1.6. It is rated at API CF specs... I did not realise this till quite later. I read in many places that deisel engine oil will not harm Petrol engines. Is this true ?FIAT recommends 15W40 API SG specs or higher. Would the higher Winter viscosity 20W matter in a city like Mumbai ?
Old 28th June 2010, 13:34   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Seeler, if I were you, I'd rush back to a competent garage today itself. Drain the diesel engine oil, run an engine flush (check out OWS) and feed her a fresh supply of Fiat-recommended (petrol) engine oil.
Old 29th June 2010, 09:22   #22
BHPian

@GTO - Thanks. Done that. Got the filter changed too. And the supervisor got a piece of my mind.
Old 29th June 2010, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think i've read somewhere that diesel engine oil could cause problems to the engine in the long run. IIRC it was an article about the service centres filling diesel engine oil in petrol cars so that they develop engine problems after around 40-60k km. In your case since its done so little km i dont think it should be of any problem. Let me try and see if i can dig up that article.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK all engine oils used for cars, whether petrol or diesel engined, are multi grade oils. So a gasoline engine oil will show API specs such as SL/CE etc. Which means, it is basically a petrol engine oil, but also suitable for diesel engines. I guess an oil meant for a diesel car will similarly carry API specs for both diesel/petrol cars, with a lower spec for the petrol application. If this is so, though the spec is less than what is recommended for your car, no harm will have taken place. Just change the oil and filter once again.
Old 29th June 2010, 10:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
AFAIK all engine oils used for cars, whether petrol or diesel engined, are multi grade oils. So a gasoline engine oil will show API specs such as SL/CE etc. Which means, it is basically a petrol engine oil, but also suitable for diesel engines. I guess an oil meant for a diesel car will similarly carry API specs for both diesel/petrol cars, with a lower spec for the petrol application. If this is so, though the spec is less than what is recommended for your car, no harm will have taken place. Just change the oil and filter once again.
In my case, the oil only carried the CE specs and when I looked at the can more closely, it only carried marketing material for HCVs, LCVs, JCVs etc ... but not for cars. To be safe I changed the oil and filter.
I normally "buy" the oil and give it to these guys to change. But this time I had to do some shopping. The little time I left it to their means, I get this done.

@GemmiThomas - A link to the article will be useful.
Old 1st July 2010, 12:29   #26
BHPian

Hi Seeler,

Some oils like CASTROL CRB TURBO / MOBIL DELVAC MX are made for LCV / TRUCKS and heavy duty diesel engines.
Though they are, say API rated CH /CJ /even CI, because of higher detergent content or some other additives for high temp. heavy load duty operation , i do not think are good for passenger cars.
I used to use a 15w-40 CF4 rated oil ( say brand x) in my diesel turbo indigo, which used to run consistently smoothly during the oil change interval for me. @ 5000 km the drained oil used to be blackened but still quite good.
Whenever i tried castrol crb turbo / magnatec / chevron delo , the motor used to feel rough after a while and the drained oil would have more suspended particles etc and would look much worse for it.
My air filter is changed with oil change i.e. 5000km and cleaned quite often during, so with no change in operating condition , the drained oil used to be worse for the costlier oils.
Now i am of the opinion to stick with manufacturer's recommende grade if not the manufacturer.
And any change in the oil ( uprating) can be necessary only with fuel degradation ( read drier.... )
so IMHO stick with oil specified for passenger car with manuf. specified grade. rather than a higher rated, more expensive truck / lorry / earthmover oil
Its the frivoulous claims of the manufacturer's which states ' the oil to be good for all modern gasolene and diesel engines '
Old 1st July 2010, 14:32   #27
BANNED

@GTO: I beg to disagree. If the oil is API-SL then it will not matter. Also, it is a new engine so the additional detergent will do no harm. I am surprised that FIAT specify API-SM. In fact a 5W40 also must almost certainly be synthetic. Even Honda is happy with API-SL (new Civic Manual).

Also, as per oil manufacturers all oils after API-SF should be Ok for 12 months/ 12,000km. The oils to watch out for are the PSU products. Even here barring IOC MGO which as per their site is API-SC they are API-SG or higher.
Old 1st July 2010, 14:38   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Even here barring IOC MGO which as per their site is API-SC they are API-SG or higher.
Their website now mentions API SF! May be someone from IOC browsed TBHP!
As to whether just the website was updated or the product itself, I don't know!

http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...anuPdc6VsmtCfQ
Old 1st July 2010, 14:42   #29
BANNED

@Gansan: So I lose one of my favourite whipping boys.

What about the petrol specs -are they updated?

Also, just saw a valid grade for a PSU oil - MAK Elite at API-SJ. Grades lower that SJ are obsolete as per the API site, which only has SJ, SL & SM as current grades.
Old 1st July 2010, 15:13   #30
CPH
BHPian

Most oils contain additive packages that are up for the use in modern Diesles and petrols.

Some cars require specific oils, but this is usually the high performance engines (not necessarily super cars).

Oils that are on my list an absolute no are Castrol Magnatec and most of the Castrol oil I wouldn'T rate high either.

Never had any problems with Selenis, Quantum, BP, Mobil, Shell, Esso, Texaco, Elf.

On a number of engines it is most important to have the right viscosity index. The wide range oil of Selenia was formulated because of hydraulic lifter issues with 10w-xx oils and higher viscosity in Ford and Fiat engines.

Going lower than 10w-xx is a problem for many older engines because of the resulting excessive oil consumption.

Virtually all modern oils with API spec from CF and SJ are suitable for either application. Diesel spec oils (CF+) are supposed to have more detérgents that petrol spec oils (SJ+), but most of the oils are identical.

A few engines need viscosity index specifications like 20w50, 10w50 or 10w60 For those either don't exist Diesel spec oils or must not be used as they have very special additive packages that are made specifically for the engine type. This is nothing to worry about for most of us mortals as we never will be able to afford such cars.

No Diesel spec oil that also has got the petrol spec on it container can do any harm to a petrol engine except for the above mentioned special engine applications.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks