Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 14:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Diesel engine oil in petrol engine

I have a linea emotion pack petrol which i had bought in month of april. After initial run in period of 1000km i went for a oil change in tata aftersales in concorde motor ambattur chennai. They changed the engine oil and gave me charging 1900/-.
Here is the post about it in my thread

Now my car has done 5000kms nearly. Now Some other linea owners have pointed out that by mistake the service advisors have put the diesel engine oil in my petrol car. ( can you believe that these authorised guys doing this)
I have run my engine nearly 4000km in the diesel engine oil. I have talked to the service advisors. they are asking me to change the oil now. They are saying both are the same and are not looking into the issues properly. Fiat is rather downplaying the issue

I am worried that something might have happened to my engine.
Does the diesel engine oil do harm to engine?. What are the consequences of it?. Does changing to recommended oil revert back the damage if already caused?. What are the problems i might have to look in down the line subsequently to identify if something has gone wrong?

Somebody please answer

Last edited by geeash : 11th July 2009 at 14:52.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Typically Diesel engine oil have more detergents than petrol engine oil hence it shouldn't be a problem. But one can ascertain only if you can give the specs of Diesel oil put into your engine and the recommended specs of your car engine oil (As per manual).
Old 11th July 2009, 15:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

AS long as the diesel oil meets minimum specifications required by your cars engine(for eg API-SG?) its okay.
your cars owner manual as the grade (15W40 etc.,) and the specification(API-SF ) etc.,
Post these for the engine oil as well as what your car needs.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it should be a problem for such a short duration. An oil change with a flush should do the trick.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

The oil recommended for petrol engine is selenia k

Here is the website for the specification of selenia k for petrol engines and selenia WR 5W-40 which was put which is actually for diesels
Selenia

technical data sheets for petrol
http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/eng/...2_scat_ENG.pdf

for diesel engine oil
http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/eng/...2_scat_ENG.pdf

It is there in engine oils

Last edited by geeash : 11th July 2009 at 15:15.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here are the technical details :

For petrol LINEA

SAE 5W-40, ACEA A3/B3, API SM, FIAT 9.55535-M2 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REFERENCE N°F214.I05, VW 505.00, VW 502.00, MB 229.3

For Diesel Linea

SAE 5W-40, ACEA B3/B4, API CF, FIAT 9.55535-N2 CONTRACTUAL TECHNICAL REFERENCE N°F515.D06, MB 229.3, VW 505.00, VW 502.00, GM-LL-B-025

geeash,
Why dont you also mail SELENIA on their helpline and ask them that you put in wrong WR-5W40 instead of SELENIA K in your petrol car and consequences of it.

As members here mention doesnt seems much of a problem with diesel oil in your car.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 11th July 2009 at 15:23.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the specs coolboy. But today is saturday and weekends are holidays in italy. I might not get a reply from them by monday.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:38   #8
BHPian

As far as i know it shouldn`t be much of a problem. Diesel engine oils are thicker compared to petrol engine oils. Generally 20 - 40 is what is used in diesel and that`s what they have put it into your car. Just flush it off and put 5-40 (as per manual) into it. Its not a big deal.
Old 11th July 2009, 15:49   #9
BHPian

I dont think it would have created any damage to your engine, but then changing back is highly recommended.

First of all didnt you feel any sluggishness in the engine ? Both oils are definitely different, with regard to the damage its really hard to tell. As now a days the engines are so complex the oils that are used are also specifically made (altered or what ever).
I have heard of people saying like you have flushing effect because of the constituents of the diesel engine but also some people saying that you loose the pressure because both the engines work on entirely different cycles.

From the tech specs you provided, API SM (Selenia K) refers to the engine oils which offers very good wear protection so I would recommend you to change the oil as soon as possible.
Old 11th July 2009, 16:08   #10
BHPian

Dear Ashwin,
Just tried to google and here it is:

Can I use diesel engine oil in my petrol engine?

This is an awkward question to answer. Diesel engines run much higher compression ratios than petrol engines and they run a lot hotter, so the oil is formulated to deal with this. Plus they produce a lot more dirt in terms of combustion by-products. Diesel-rated oils typically have more detergents in them to deal with this (see Using Diesel oil for flushing above). It's not unheard of for diesel oils to clean a petrol engine so well that it loses compression. Diesel-rated oils also have an anti-foaming agent in them which is unique to diesel engines, and not needed in petrol engines.
So is that the be-all and end-all answer? Well not really and that's why this is a difficult question to give a straight answer to. The above statement is more relevant to commercial diesel engines. Nowadays, just about all passenger car / light commercial oils (including OEM ones designed for both petrol and diesel engines) will carry the ACEA A and B specifications. ie. formulated to satisfy the requirements for both types of engine. So just because the oil is labelled "Diesel" doesn't mean it's not suitable for petrol engines - it will more than likely carry an ACEA A3 / OEM petrol spec as well.
However you do need to be a bit careful regarding choosing the right diesel spec - if you have a modern common rail / direct injection diesel, chances are it will require at least an ACEA B4 spec to cope with the higher piston temperatures that can cause piston deposits (and stuck rings). ACEA B4 is fine where B3 is recommended.
Another reference I found is at Difference between Petrol an Diesel Oils? [Archive] - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
So, whatever happened is very serious but at the same time its good that probably there is no much harm to the engine.
Old 11th July 2009, 16:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

From what you posted, your car requires API-SM minimum, but Selinia is API-SL
Therefore you have put in a slightly lower grade oil than required.
So not to worry much, next time put in the correct oil
No need to waste money on flush either, diesel engine oils have more detergent, and therefore your engine has already been flushed.
However since the mistake was done by workshop, ideally they should give you new engine oil.

As for the post from carbibles, they are talking about cases when the diesel engine oil meets the specifications required by your car, for cases where the diesel engine oil is not meeting specifications required by your car, its always better not to take the risk

Last edited by tsk1979 : 11th July 2009 at 16:21.
Old 11th July 2009, 16:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

not to worry. i have used diesel oil in petrol car and safely gone back to petrol oil. yes of course min requirements are met.
Old 11th July 2009, 17:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehamit View Post
Dear Ashwin,
Just tried to google and here it is:

Can I use diesel engine oil in my petrol engine?

This is an awkward question to answer. Diesel engines run much higher compression ratios than petrol engines and they run a lot hotter, so the oil is formulated to deal with this. Plus they produce a lot more dirt in terms of combustion by-products. Diesel-rated oils typically have more detergents in them to deal with this (see Using Diesel oil for flushing above). It's not unheard of for diesel oils to clean a petrol engine so well that it loses compression. Diesel-rated oils also have an anti-foaming agent in them which is unique to diesel engines, and not needed in petrol engines.
So is that the be-all and end-all answer? Well not really and that's why this is a difficult question to give a straight answer to. The above statement is more relevant to commercial diesel engines. Nowadays, just about all passenger car / light commercial oils (including OEM ones designed for both petrol and diesel engines) will carry the ACEA A and B specifications. ie. formulated to satisfy the requirements for both types of engine. So just because the oil is labelled "Diesel" doesn't mean it's not suitable for petrol engines - it will more than likely carry an ACEA A3 / OEM petrol spec as well.
However you do need to be a bit careful regarding choosing the right diesel spec - if you have a modern common rail / direct injection diesel, chances are it will require at least an ACEA B4 spec to cope with the higher piston temperatures that can cause piston deposits (and stuck rings). ACEA B4 is fine where B3 is recommended.
Another reference I found is at Difference between Petrol an Diesel Oils? [Archive] - XPowerForums - For MG, XPower & Motorsport Enthusiasts
So, whatever happened is very serious but at the same time its good that probably there is no much harm to the engine.
I remember reading these exact texts I guess its from Carbible.com right ?
Old 11th July 2009, 18:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I remember reading these exact texts I guess its from Carbible.com right ?
Yes, it is from carbible.com and the bold header is hyperlinked to that article only.
Old 11th July 2009, 19:22   #15
BHPian

Vow, how could the service people make such a mistake. They cannot distinguish between a petrol engine and a diesel engine? They don't know which oil is for what?

The engine oil for diesel engine could be used in petrol engines. But, that is beside the point.

You should politely insist that the service center should replace the oil for you free of cost (both labour and material). Its their mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks